• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
I just finished Intermediate, got about 2 weeks till I am supposed to start advanced but want to get ahead of the game, any suggestions on where to start...EP's....Systems...limits.....I was kind of thinking that systems was a good place, then maybe aero then EP's...what do you guys think?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Personally, I thought the EPs for the HTs were pretty easy. I would recommend you start by going through the Aero book, as that's kind of a huge pain to learn the first time, at least for me. The other thing is to get the "script" for the checklist, and go up to the CPTs upstairs and/or grab someone ahead of you, and start going through where everything is, what it is, and what you need to do. Kind of confusing at first, since the things the flight control test isn't as straight forward as the wipeout you do in the Turbo Weenie.

But that's my dated take.

schmuckatelli

I agree with gator -- the TH-57 EPs are not that difficult to learn and you will have ground school before your first CPTs so it would probably make more sense to get started with the aero stuff when you get your books. As you go over the checklists you can incorporate EPs at the appropriate point (e.g., abort start during start checklist). The CPTs are hardly in use and the binder is sitting right there on the table so if you want to see the different indications you can either give them to yourself or bring someone along with you to run the computer and you can practice with each other.

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
from the what i've heard, advanced is structured just like primary.. cpts, fams, bi's, ri's... other than that what can i expect? how is the atmosphere? instructors on your a$$ at first then let you alone after you get so far, or is it more relaxed from the get go?

coming from corpus, are the course rules gonna be a bitch.. or is it like anything else and after you get over the first little learning hump you'll be alrighty?

noswo.. when do you start class?

schmuckatelli

I did primary at Corpus and the helo course rules are really not that complicated. In addition to the things you mention you will have airnavs (ifr) and vnavs (like onavs in intermediates) as well as h-tacs. The h-tacs are a lot of fun and include things like quickstops, 360 overhead approaches, simulated vertrep with a concrete block, practice navigating, and of course forms. You will have 2 fam solos, an airnav solo, and a vnav solo if you want. If you don't want to do the airnav and vnav solos you can use those flights to plan a cross-country although doing one in a TH-57 is kind of painful since you can drive faster when there is a strong headwind.

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
Splendid.....I am supposed to start on the 11th, but who knows, it could be sooner or later knowing the Navy, and you? Thanks for the replies guys, time to bust out the Aero stuff...

schmuckatelli

Unlike Corpus there was almost no waiting time to start when I was there (Oct. 2001). I think CTW-5 has a better handle on things than CTW-4 did. It just felt way more organized at Whiting than it did at Corpus. Things of course could have changed since then but don't count on it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey schmuckatelli...

Ironically, exactly one year before you showed up, the wait at HT-8 was 2 months. It's amazing how dynamic things can be there.

schmuckatelli

He he, my bad. I suppose I should know better by now how often things change but I guess all that chicken I ate on the Lincoln has affected me more than I realized. :)

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
Waited 2 months before I started at HT-18. Had a blast though while I was waiting. The course rules were really easy, there are only two main ways to get out of the field. Probably the hardest part was learning to hover, but once you get it you wonder why you couldn't do it before.

Q

Marine Helo Pilot

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by schmuckatelli
He he, my bad. I suppose I should know better by now how often things change but I guess all that chicken I ate on the Lincoln has affected me more than I realized. :)

Yeah, I hear ya <shudder>. The funny part is that while we were all waiting, the -18 guys were starting w/in the first week, and were on Fam 1 by week 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.