• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to start?

SpiderUSMC

Ok weapons gurus.

I'm someone who's interested in firearms but is on a budget that is zero. That being said I want to learn what I can so that when my finances improve I'm not starting from a blank slate. So my question for all of the knowledgable types that frequent this forum: Where can I begin?

I've read all the posts here (in the firearms forum) and posts linked from them (which taught me more than I didn't know I didn't know) and have chewed through the manufactor's websites of the guns more frequently mentioned here (Sig, Glock, Springfield, Kimber).

So where do I go? The library? What are some great sites on the internet to learn both about shooting in general and the specifics of various weapons? Are there books/DVDs that are worth the time?

Thanks for any input.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
For a beginner???

Join the NRA ... not trying to be a wise-guy ... I mean it. It's a great place to start building a broad based firearms education and only costs @ $35/year. Cheap insurance and an inexpensive education. I'm a life member and have been a certified instructor for many years.

You'll get it's monthly publication, The National Rifleman. It delves into what's new in the industry, firearms related politics, lots of "how-to" articles, some history, lots of retailers ... all worthwhile stuff. The NRA also has an extensive online site:

http://www.nra.org/

If you think the 2nd Amendment is there for a reason besides hunting and/or equipping the National Guard :)) ) ... if you think firearms are O.K. for the law-abiding American citizen to own ... your $35/year will be going to a good cause. Without the NRA, most of us would be severely restricted in ownership of firearms. Don't believe agenda driven left-wing or uninformed opinions re: the NRA.

Join and make your own decisions ....

Old NFO

None
Agree with A-4, also take a shooting class or join a local range. On the web, there is thehighroad.org is one, glocktalk.com is another, ar-15.com and on and on... :)

SpiderUSMC

I've poked about on glock-talk a touch.

Uncle is a lifelong NRA member as well and has been trying to get me to follow in his footsteps. Thanks A4 for the suggestion.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
You can get to shoot alot of guns by just showing up to a shoot. Alot of people will share the joy of firearms with you. Other than that you can go to a range and rent some guns pretty cheap.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
saltpeter said:
..... try sticking your finger in your jacket for starters.
HEY !!! That's not too new .... similar occurence happened when Mae West said it in 1933 in "She Done Him Wrong" .... :

"Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just glad to see me ... ??" :)

SheDoneHimWrongsm.jpg

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4sForever said:
HEY !!! That's not too new .... similar occurence happened when Mae West said it in 1933 in "She Done Him Wrong" .... :

"Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just glad to see me ... ??" :)
Did you go to the premiere? ;)