• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to rent - Oceana?

Sheepdip

Contributor
Didn't see a recent thread. Please move or delete if necessary.

Going to the Oceana area for 7 months. Haven't decided if I'll do the whole HHG thing or put everything in storage where I am now and rent furnished or buy bare essentials once I'm there.

Anyone have any specific recommendations on which apartment/condos to rent from? Heard a few general areas (Chix beach), haven't seen much on individual good/bad renters. I'm not in the VFA community and don't know anyone out there. Wouldn't be opposed to renting a room. Will be checking craigslist in the mean time.

Since I'm single, night life is near top of the list for priorities. Don't want to drive 40 minutes in the AM, though.

jtmedli

pilot
Chix beach is a good area. Hot Tuna, Chix Oyster Bar, and Shorebreak are legit hangouts. Va Beach towncenter is closer to Oceana and is the other good place in Va Beach. I dont really have any specific recommendations since I live further North in Norfolk. That should help you narrow things down though.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'll assume you're single/unaccompanied. Chix Beach or Ghent are your best bets. Check Craigslist for rooms. The big apartment complexes are nice with regards to breaking a lease on orders, but generally they are way more expensive.

Sheepdip

Contributor
What's are the biggest differences between Chics Beach area and the Pacific Ave area? I understand that the Pac Ave area is more touristy and there will be more traffic during busy times, but how would it be to live there knowing that it's only 7 months? I'd like to be in a busier area, I think, just for the experience. Thoughts?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I started in VaBeach in the salt meadow Bay complex, which, a few years ago, was a real nice apt complex. We eventually decided we liked ghent over the beach and ended up in Ghent for a few years. Easy walking distance to lots of bars was the deciding factor.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What's are the biggest differences between Chics Beach area and the Pacific Ave area? I understand that the Pac Ave area is more touristy and there will be more traffic during busy times, but how would it be to live there knowing that it's only 7 months? I'd like to be in a busier area, I think, just for the experience. Thoughts?

Pacific Ave area isn't horrible, but the only real homes are either relatively inland, or well to the north (and super pricey out there). The area with all the hotels/condos/motels is overrun with tourism (Jersey Shore style) during the summer months, traffic moves at a snail's pace, and parking is a nightmare. But if you want to hang on the beach and troll for girls, it isn't a bad spot. Having a house you can walk to wouldn't be bad. But Chicks has all of that too, without some of the obnoxious tourist traffic. Summers down in VA Beachfront are expensive.....I know a lot of rentals go from like $500/mo, to like $500/week during the summer months. Maybe not exactly that spread, but you get the idea. Most Oceana guys live either in Chicks, Town Center, or south/west of base near Red Mill or near Princess Ann (those last couple areas often being referred to as "married-ville"). There are a few that commute and live in Ghent, but my opinion is that is a really long drive for something that isn't that incredible.

Sheepdip

Contributor
Good info. I'll only be there until the first week of June so I'm hoping the full tourist swing wont hit until after I've left. Seems like Pacific Ave of Town Center area is a good compromise between commute distance and other factors.

I don't mind being in an apartment, as it's just me and I don't have much stuff. A house would probably be too much, and too expensive, for me. Ideally I'd like to be able to walk to the beach, the bars, close to a grocery store and relatively easy commute in the morning. As long as the apartment complex isn't filled with trash or gangbangers or has super thin walls I'd be happy I think.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Good info. I'll only be there until the first week of June so I'm hoping the full tourist swing wont hit until after I've left. Seems like Pacific Ave of Town Center area is a good compromise between commute distance and other factors.

I don't mind being in an apartment, as it's just me and I don't have much stuff. A house would probably be too much, and too expensive, for me. Ideally I'd like to be able to walk to the beach, the bars, close to a grocery store and relatively easy commute in the morning. As long as the apartment complex isn't filled with trash or gangbangers or has super thin walls I'd be happy I think.

Tourist season is full on by any date rhyming with June. Even with traffic, Pacific Ave is closer to base by car than Town Center. Anything requiring I264 transit is just going to take a while....all the feeders (esp Independence) suck, and 264 is like a 55 mph limit with a majority of folks who probably aren't even safe at that speed yet drive in excess of 80 and crash just about twice a minute per car. Regardless, I'd rather have a shorter distance commute, than a shorter duration commute that is by miles (or NM or leagues) longer here......just less chance of getting sideswiped by some moron VA driver who can't even spell. Socal drivers were aggressive, but by and large, at least competent. Almost none fit that description here.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The addendum to the no bridges, no tunnels rule would be to live somewhere where you can take surface streets vice the 64/264 nightmare.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tourist season is full on by any date rhyming with June.
I see/hear Lemoore knocked a lot, and justly so for bachelors/nightlife; however: there's a plowin' season, a cotton season, a milkin' season, a harvest season, but NO TOURISTA SEASON!
Even with traffic, Pacific Ave is closer to base by car than Town Center. Anything requiring I264 transit is just going to take a while....all the feeders (esp Independence) suck, and 264 is like a 55 mph limit with a majority of folks who probably aren't even safe at that speed yet drive in excess of 80 and crash just about twice a minute per car. Regardless, I'd rather have a shorter distance commute, than a shorter duration commute that is by miles (or NM or leagues) longer here......just less chance of getting sideswiped by some moron VA driver who can't even spell. Socal drivers were aggressive, but by and large, at least competent. Almost none fit that description here.
None of these traffic problems in Lemoore.

And unlike Oceana, if you have to leap out on takeoff/landing, the only thing you'll destroy or kill, are the $1,000,000 p/acre "experimental" crops, plus the Lemoore base is liked, er... loved, and considered an asset, not hated by local civilians.

Just sayin' ...
468px-NAS_Lemoore_NAN7-63.jpg A-4F 'Skyhawk on a Stick' NASL_.jpg A-7E Corsair Ii.jpg NASL Control Tower_.jpg
BzB

Last edited:

ProwlerPilot

pilot
As someone who lives near 31st street in VB, I prefer the ocean area. Chix is nice, but a longer commute to Oceana. The ocean front is toursity in the summer, but slows down in the fall and winter. When I was stationed at Oceana, I could be from my front door to my desk in less than 15 minutes. Traffic isn't an issue since you are going inland. Plus there isn't a whole lot of traffic up and down Pacific or Atlantic at 8 am.

31st street is about as far north as you want to be for the ocean. That is where the Hilton and the fancy tourist bar is. HIgher priced drinks, but higher priced "bar patrons" for a single guy. At the other end, between 5th and 17th is a good locals scene. Rudee inlet is a great place to drink outside. Waterman's and Mahi Mah's are both very good as well on the oceanfront. Lots of festivals and events during the summer as well. Plus, if you live within a couple blocks of the ocean, buy a cheap beach cruiser, put a cup holder on it, and park your car on Friday through Sunday. Then just bike everywhere. Drunk biking is pretty much required in VB and if you don't have a beach cruiser to go to the bar, you are way behind. No drinking and driving. No problems.

In addition, if you want to get up to Hot Tuna (also a good spot) or Chix, it is about a 20 minute drive at most. Same with town center where Keegan's and some other bars are that are good for drinking and "mingling" If you are worried about your car, there is a service here called Metro Scoot that will come to the bar, take your keys and drive you home in your own car. Like a cab (a little more expensive) and your car is in your driveway the next morning. It works at Town center, chix beach, and the oceanfront (but if you live at the ocean front you will be on your bike, so no car needed.)

That's my $.02. I love living near the ocean and being close to Oceana. And biking everywhere removes all designated driver problems. Saltmeadow Bay as someone mentioned is a good place to start. Good location (Laskin rd which is an extension of 31st street) and I think rather nice places. Never been inside but have friends who lived there.

Ghent is all the way in Norfolk and at least 25-30 minute commute, plus traffic. Nice area but not worth the drive in my opinion to live there.

I presently work at Norfolk and can tell you that the bumper cars commute people have around here is crazy. If you can stay off 264 and 64, I would.

TXSooner07

None
Anyone in the VB area looking for a roommate? I'm about to head up to 106 for the FRS. Reading the conversations above, I think I would prefer the Chix Beach area but am open to other areas too.

Sheepdip

Contributor
What are some of the best bars in VA beach? Pacific ave area?

I heard someone say the cops here are Dbags and I'll get in trouble if I'm caught drunk pedaling a bike home after a long night of striking out. True?
Can I have an open container in my bikes jury rigged cup holder?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
No open containers allowed. Live on the north side of Va Beach blvd on the ocean front. Or up on Shore drive.