• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to redesignate after NPQed for aviation?

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Maybe in this thread some of you may know what the process would be like if in this situation, how would someone go about pursuing EOD/SEAL? I’ve read of some redes to that then go to SOAS? Would you do a SPECWAR PFT at OCS and send it to the community to see if they’ll pick you up?

exNavyOffRec

Maybe in this thread some of you may know what the process would be like if in this situation, how would someone go about pursuing EOD/SEAL? I’ve read of some redes to that then go to SOAS? Would you do a SPECWAR PFT at OCS and send it to the community to see if they’ll pick you up?
I can't remember who but someone that has been through OCS recently had a person DQ from aviation that was able to go to SEALS, it is rare, very rare since you not only have to get incredible scores for the run, push ups, situps and pull ups you need to be DQ for something that won't also DQ you from SEALS/EOD, depth perception comes to mind. Realistically 99.9% of those that need to redesignate aren't going to be able to be physically able to go for SEALS or EOD.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

I wouldn’t count on that.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
I can't remember who but someone that has been through OCS recently had a person DQ from aviation that was able to go to SEALS, it is rare, very rare since you not only have to get incredible scores for the run, push ups, situps and pull ups you need to be DQ for something that won't also DQ you from SEALS/EOD, depth perception comes to mind. Realistically 99.9% of those that need to redesignate aren't going to be able to be physically able to go for SEALS or EOD.

Understood. I was tracking NSW for a bit, was in the optimal high range on the NSW PFT so my numbers are good, I have a perfect PRT. I just decided aviation is where my passion is but was curious about that process. As you said we both saw it happened recently and with SOAS being the determine factor, I think you go to SOAS after OCS.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
The OCS accessions for EOD and NSW are incredibly slim. If you aren't already working with those communities, the likelihood that you will be able to get in are slim to none. When I redesignated at OCS, I put EOD as one of my choices. I ended up only being offered SWO since I didn't want to be a Nuke.

I found out a week later that there were only 2 EOD OCS slots for YG12 and both of them showed up to the class mine were the Candios for. They were/are good dudes and both were prior-enlisted EOD bubbas coming from the Fleet. The EOD community is incredibly small so it's hard to get into. You would likely have better luck becoming a SWO and then hunting down the EOD command on base and trying to lateral transfer into that community. Same with NSW, except they are even pickier and require that you go through a bunch of interviews so they can gauge your personality and make sure you'll be a good fit.

All that said, if you want to try to get an EOD or NSW slot, put it down on your list and see what happens. You'll at least be given a dive physical and may luck out. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Forgot to add: If you become a SWO and then lat transfer into EOD, you will get to wear one of the coolest warfare pins in the Navy, the Navy Special Operations Officer Pin.
1698351672643.png

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The OCS accessions for EOD and NSW are incredibly slim. If you aren't already working with those communities, the likelihood that you will be able to get in are slim to none. When I redesignated at OCS, I put EOD as one of my choices. I ended up only being offered SWO since I didn't want to be a Nuke.

I found out a week later that there were only 2 EOD OCS slots for YG12 and both of them showed up to the class mine were the Candios for. They were/are good dudes and both were prior-enlisted EOD bubbas coming from the Fleet. The EOD community is incredibly small so it's hard to get into. You would likely have better luck becoming a SWO and then hunting down the EOD command on base and trying to lateral transfer into that community. Same with NSW, except they are even pickier and require that you go through a bunch of interviews so they can gauge your personality and make sure you'll be a good fit.

All that said, if you want to try to get an EOD or NSW slot, put it down on your list and see what happens. You'll at least be given a dive physical and may luck out. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Forgot to add: If you become a SWO and then lat transfer into EOD, you will get to wear one of the coolest warfare pins in the Navy, the Navy Special Operations Officer Pin.
View attachment 39109
Can we see the pin if you are a SWO who laterals to EOD and then becomes a naval aviator?

Mouselovr

Contributor
I'm a little late on this post but the SEAL OCS pick up was from my class.
I've talked about it before on this forum.

Guy was in the right place at the right time.
We went around the same time as some prior SEALs who hooked him up.
The process took a long time and involved an admin separation. This had to be done before he was commissioned/ started down a pipeline to fix a medical issue before the SEALs could take him.

He ran the specwar PFT while waiting in Newport to qualify then attended SOAS post-admin separation to be formally "picked up".

Currently, I have another peer who DORed pre-primary wanting to go SEAL. He was commissioned and over a year into the SNA pipeline. He was told he cannot redes direct to SpecOps and has to pick another community, pin then can apply for the SEALs....... again, being in the right place, at the right time, with the right people is key. Start asking around the command and pray there's a prior SpecOps candidate at OTCN at the same time as you....

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I'm a little late on this post but the SEAL OCS pick up was from my class.
I've talked about it before on this forum.

Guy was in the right place at the right time.
We went around the same time as some prior SEALs who hooked him up.
The process took a long time and involved an admin separation. This had to be done before he was commissioned/ started down a pipeline to fix a medical issue before the SEALs could take him.

He ran the specwar PFT while waiting in Newport to qualify then attended SOAS post-admin separation to be formally "picked up".

Currently, I have another peer who DORed pre-primary wanting to go SEAL. He was commissioned and over a year into the SNA pipeline. He was told he cannot redes direct to SpecOps and has to pick another community, pin then can apply for the SEALs....... again, being in the right place, at the right time, with the right people is key. Start asking around the command and pray there's a prior SpecOps candidate at OTCN at the same time as you....
That sounds like a one in a million shot he was able to get.