• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where are the Hornet pilots?

Malice 1

pilot
In my limited Marine corps career, I have never ever once seen a Marine Hornet driver.

In OCS we had platoon cmdrs and other staff officers that were helo pilots, C130 pilots, etc...

In TBS there were more cobra pilots, C130 pilots, and NFO's and ECMO's.

Now that I'm in API, I have instructors that are ECMO's, C130 pilots, F14 RIO's, etc..

I have seen aviators from every aircraft in the fleet in varios B billets and staff jobs, but I have never, ever seen a hornet pilot. I guess I've never seen an EA6B pilot either.

Where are they, and what do they do? Are they constantly deployed, or are they just too cool for school?

arbor

I'm your huckleberry.
pilot
From what I've seen so far (only in advanced), most jet pilots, Navy or Marine, that you find in the TRACOM aren't going to be at API, OCS, etc; you'll find them at advanced and at the RAG. Anyone who knows more feel free to add on or correct me.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
There are a few Hornet drivers in the Primary squadrons up at Whiting. At least two that I know of, for sure. One of em even flew the F-4!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
So, the only B-billets these guys get are in advanced training squadrons?

Not quite. Most TACAIR guys will either be RAG instructors, go to the training command (advanced), do a FAC tour, or do school (EWS, C&S, etc.). There just aren't that many of us. Once you get senior enough, it's staff tour to fleet tour to staff tour. Repeat until retired. T-34s is mainly a helo/prop gig, although not exclusively. They really want to do it, and we don't, so there isn't much of a battle over it.

If you haven't figured it out yet, most of the API instructors are either unable to fly (perhaps medically), or dudes that got sh!tcanned from the fleet.

TBS instructors, OSOs, and OCS staff are really sought after by ground MOSs, and again, most of us don't want them, so there's no big battle over it. The ones you see are ones that were forced into it (largely) in an effort to have MOS diversity. Evidently that isn't working, hence this thread.

Malice 1

pilot
I guess I've never seen a Harrier driver either.

FAC makes sense. I never understood why a C130 driver would be a FAC. He doesn't drop bombs.

I never realized that there were so many less jet drivers than other types of pilots.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
shut up you hurt my feelings. :icon_tong

I was one of the goobers that Joined up with dilusions of Top Gun grandure(sp?)

Judging from my API scores, I need to prepare myself to settle for less.

With any luck, you'll snag that elusive C-130 spot.

Brett

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Someone who would know recently told me that something like 95% of Navy first tour pointy-nose guys are currently going to a flying billet for their second tour. The likely candidates are the RAGs, jet VT's, NFO advanced, foreign exchange tours, inter-service exchanges, VX squadrons, TPS, and Top Gun. Marines obviously have other options.

Malice 1

pilot
Everybody I know wants C130's. I kinda want the osprey; with door gunners, and engines that can rotate in opposite directions, so I can turn the aircraft into a giant ninja star.

I'd be an airshow superstar in my osprey that flys like a frisbee.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
shut up you hurt my feelings. :icon_tong

I was one of the goobers that Joined up with dilusions of Top Gun grandure(sp?)

Judging from my API scores, I need to prepare myself to settle for less.

You misunderstand me. :)

It brought me back to earlier days when I too believed that Tacair made up most of the Navy and Air Force was convinced that warrant officers did most of the helo flying in ALL of the services, browsed BaseOps.net asking % jets questions, and believed that ANG types only flew one weekend a month, and could hold a "normal" job with ease.