• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

when were the current nfo wings authorized?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i was winged in march of '69(G 4156). as i recall, during most of flight school, the instructors had the older observer wings which leads me to believe that the current nfo wings were authorized a bit before 3/69. anybody know for sure?
thx.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I got winged at NAS Glynco in February 1967 w/ the old NAO wings (which I actually prefer - 'cause they're distinctive). As the fading memory serves, the new wings were chosen in early 1968 and made available for purchase that Summer or Fall. Not meaning to contradict TheBubba, but I believe they were not authorized or available in 1965 or '66. Hell, I still have a pair of the NAO-style wings I kept for whatever reason.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Fog,

No offense taken. I may have misread my source. After re-read, the design was approved in 65/66, but not authorized for wear until later.

Learning has taken place.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I find it interesting that NFOs (NAOs) used to wear Silver Pilot wings back in the day.

Historical document said:
Between January 1927 and October 1929 the design of Naval
Aviation Observer Wings was the same as Naval Aviator Wings except
the observer wings were silver, not gold like the Naval Aviator.

-ea6bflyr ;)

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
I find it interesting that NFOs (NAOs) used to wear Silver Pilot wings back in the day.

Did NAPs wear silver pilot wings or were theirs gold too? I remember seeing gold wings on their rank/rating badges at the museum in P'cola, but I don't recall what color their metal wings were...probably gold too, just looking for an affirm.

brownshoe

Contributor
Did NAPs wear silver pilot wings or were theirs gold too? I remember seeing gold wings on their rank/rating badges at the museum in P'cola, but I don't recall what color their metal wings were...probably gold too, just looking for an affirm.

Once had a NAP fly us to Yuma for a det. We were all seated on the plane and a LCDR came aboard and climbed into the copilot seat. I remember thinking to myself: “Who the hell is gonna fly this rig?” An E9 Marine, (and I mean squared away) strolled in, and climbed into the pilot seat. I’d never heard of enlisted pilots, and was dumfounded. I was sitting with a friend of mine, a senior NCO, who explained to me all about NAPs, and how/why there were still some left in the service at the time.

Here’s an interesting link for those who have never heard of NAPs.

http://bluejacket.com/sea-service_nap_index.htm

Sorry, didn’t mean to thread jack.:)

Steve

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
The PC of the station C-117 at NAS Pensacola in 1971 was a NAP CPO. You didn't throw sh*t on the deck of his a/c or leave anything behind. Can't remember his name, but he was one of the last of the breed. His wings looked just like all other [pilot] naval aviator's.

Owen

Have researched this one extensivley. I attended more than one Sliver Eagle
reunion and have asked well over 100 of these guys if they ever saw an NAP
with silver wings. Each insisted there was never any such thing; all wore gold.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NAPs

When I reported to my first fleet Squadron at Alameda in '58, there were about 10 or 12 APs. All multi-engine transport Pilots, they were in VR, FASRON, or NAS Station Pilots. IN common they had/were CPOs w/ many hashmarks, 15K+ hours, gold NA Wings, friendly but self-assured, & could drink :icon_drinmost JOs under the table! I don't recall seeing them any more after leaving Alameda in '61.
BzB:sleep_125