• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When to order uniforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
To echoe what has already been said watch out for the Marine shop selling you a much smaller size unifrom let out so when you get away from things like 20 mile humps and fill back out you now need to go buy a new uniform. I am dealing wiht this I am normally a 46 or so the Marine shop sold me a 40 let out so now I cant get it let out at all and have to buy new blues and Im not by any means a weight control problem just not the anorexic warrior I was at TBS.
I did think the Marine shop had nicer quality stuff but not by much.

ZGXtreme

Corporal of Grunts
This confusing to me... you speak of purchasing uniforms for Commissioning... what do you wear during OCS? Digis only? One does not endure uniform inspections during OCS which would require the uniforms prior to Commissioning?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cammies only at OCS (no guarnatee you will need the officer unifroms). You will then purchase a uniform to commision in and then the rest while at TBS

trongod46

pilot
seems like most post are saying to stay away from the marine shop, my oso recommended them to me, maybe things have changed in a few years?
so all you get before graduation at ocs is alpha blouse and one set of trousers?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dont know what you get if you commision right there at Quantico. I did mine in Blues at College. If you are already there getting commisioned then you can probably set up to get all your uniforms.
I was very happy with the quality from the Marine shop at the time right up until I went to get them let out a bit and there wasnt anyhitng there. I have not contacted them but have heard from enough people not to bother so my next set will come from the exchange.

peanut3479

pilot
The only thing you're required to purchase at OCS is a set of Alphas for the commissioning ceremony. Both the Marine Shop & the Exchange will visit roughly once a week during OCS to fit you for your uniform. I don't know about the Marine Shop, but you don't technically "purchase" your Alphas until the day you get commissioned (the day you definitely know you'll need them), even though they give them to you a day or so ahead of time to get them set up and IP'd. The only thing I got from the Marine Shop was their jewelry box - it's a lot nicer looking and it was cheaper than the Exchange's box (purchased empty without the accessories that is, otherwise it's the same price with all the stuff included.)

usmcecho4

pilot
You don't need any uniforms except for your cammies for TBS. They give you a list of dates there by which you must have particular uniforms. If you go with The Marine Shop you must pay for your entire uniform purchases when you pick it up. If you buy from the exchange you can spread your payments out over a year. Also there is an exchange right at TBS so you don't need to drive anywhere. This is really nice as a round trip to Q-Town from TBS will take you about an hour.

s/f,
usmcecho4

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
This is true... Alpha company is scurrying to get their Service Alphas sooner; however, it is highly unlikely that we will be wearing them on those first Fridays. Given what we were told (which can also be total BS...), I still expect to be wearing cammies.

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
I am pretty far from commissioning I still have srs and graduate college, i don't know which will be harder. anyways I was planning on wearing Blue/Whites for my commissioning with a sword and Sam Brown belt. Recommended?? I've heard not to get your sword until TBS b/c they can size you up. Can you get sized for your sword before TBS? I'm from Cali so i was thinking of sizing up at then end of OCS and having everything shipped to me in like May and get remeasured b4 i order my uniform. I expect to get commissioned June '06 or Dec. '06 (i may have an extra quarter at school)

usmcecho4

pilot
The uniform sellers will come in and size you at seniors. You can order your stuff then. I did the blue/white/sword/sam brown thing and it worked out fine.

s/f,
usmcecho4

peanut3479

pilot
I'd say concentrate on getting through seniors before you start worrying about uniforms, but I don't see any reason why you can't order your sword before TBS if you get sized for it. I would say wait until you get to TBS, and the uniform shop will probably say the same thing, but ultimately it's up to you. Also, your OSO should be able to give you some guidance.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
We're wearing Bravos on Fridays, not Alphas.

jmwSemperFi said:
Ok, well an update for everyone. Starting this past NOV all Marines at MCB Quantico are required to wear the following uniforms...

1st - 7th of every month - Desert MARPAT
First Friday of every month - Service "A"
Rest of the time - Woodland MARPAT

So what does this mean? Well it means that a lot of Lts in Alpha are hurrying to get uniforms which are now required to have much sooner. It won't hurt to get your uniform sooner rather than later.

usmcecho4

pilot
It's things like that which cause the wait for "word" to last 3 hours. But it is bravos not alphas. I ****ing hate "word."

s/f,
usmcecho4

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
We haven't worn our Bravo's in Alpha Co. on Fridays, mainly because a lot of Lts don't have them. Our company staff knows this and they also know the process for buying uniforms, getting fitted, etc. So they're not pushing us to get them sooner rather than later. We have a set schedule that tells us when we'll be getting fitted, when we'll receive certain uniforms, etc. So, I'm not scrambling around to get my Alpha's just yet. I wouldn't concern yourself with it too much. You'll get your uniforms when you need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.