• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When to apply to PLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airborne

I know that you apply to PLC when your in college, but when exacly is that. Could you for example apply your first day in university or after your first semester? Do you need a certain number of credits first?

Thanks.

klostman

the happy dance!
You can apply the very first day of college provided they have openings. You do not need to have a certain amount of credits. In your case, you would only be eligble for PLC two 6 week programs.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
I suggest you apply as early as possible if you intend to take money from the Marine Corps. This way you can max out your monetary benefits.

Airborne

Do you have to be a full time student, and can you transfer to another college while in the program?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Originally posted by Airborne
HOOAH! Do you have to be a full time student, and can you transfer to another college while in the program?

Airborne, just my $.02, but I wouldn't be sounding off spelling it like that. I understand your motivation which is awesome. But 'HOOAH' sounds like what the nasty Army ROTC guys say here at school. Plus, it sounds too much like 'HOORAY' which is really not what Marines sound like. I've seen it spelled "OORAH" and "HOORAH". Either way, I know what you meant, just a little FYI.

jthorp

Hi,
just a quick tip from a wife who's happy her husband signed up for PLC early in his college career.. . SIGN UP EARLY AND DON'T TAKE THE MONEY!! I don't completely know all the details, but when my husband signed up, he had an option to get some money each year OR Not get the money and have those years in college count towards time in service. He was on scholarship so he turned down the money so now his time in service counts towards his Pay. If you look at a military pay chart, it shows you how much extra that is a month. My husband said that now two years after commissioning that deal has already paid him back more than the money he would have gotten yearly in college, and it will continue to keep paying back.
Anyhow, just ask the recruiter if that is still the way it works. Or maybe someone here knows the exact details. I'd ask my hubby, but he's studying like mad up at Whiting right now!!
Good luck to you!

kimphil

jthorp is right. If you intend to make the Marines a career, don't take the money. Plus, if you decide not to take a commission, I think you have to pay it back.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I took the money, and my time in the PLC program still counts towards my pay. Someone is passing bad gouge. Kimphil, you are right, if you do take the money and don't accept your commission, you'll have to pay it back if you take the (FAP) or enlist for 2 years if you take the other one (TFIP (I think)). Once you go to OCS Jr's, then your TIS (time in service) starts whether you took money or not.

I took the FAP (Financial Assistance Program) and the deal is I take the money and the USMC adds 6 months to my contract. JBoomer did the same thing and neither one of our contracts changed.......I dunno...

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
There are two programs, one is 900 a semester stipend, and the other 5k tuition reimbursement per year for two years. Both add time to your contract. As an aviation guy, it doesn’t matter because your locked in till late 30s anyway.
With PLC, your pay entry base date starts when you report to PLC jr. Unless you take the tuition reimbursement, then they have a weird calculation. I took both, so my pay entry base date is in April, my date of rank is in May, and my comm. date is in June??? Don’t ask me how it works. If I didn’t take the tuition money, I would have an extra two years on my pay entry base date, and a bigger pay check. But at the time, I was a finance major and calculated the present value of future cash flows, and it made more sense to take the tuition money. Besides, I needed it.
The 900/semester stipend, adds years, but you keep the early pay date.
There is talk of changing the rules to remove the double penalty, why add extra years and remove the early pay date. I make some calls every few months to see if I can get my pay entry base date back, but of course it doesn’t work.
Questions a lot better for an OSO then a gouge forum.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Good info Andy. I guess since my PEBD (pay entry base date) started in 1994, it didn't matter for me.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Originally posted by doubledown
I am just curious if anyone knows the interest rate at which you have to pay the money back.

If your asking that question, don't take the money. Less paperwork/pain in the ass factor to just take a student loan.

Dave, have you gone up for fam 1 yet? I got my ass worked on a warm up flight the other day.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Should have Fam-1 in the morning, I'll have to wait for the schedule to come out at 1800.

I took the money because even with the G.I. Bill and me and my wife working we still needed help. My family is poor white trash and couldn't pay for my college like most my peers....lol

True story

tc1812

I think it was E5B that said you still get the time in service if you take the money. That is only if you are prior service or reserves. If you are a civilan then you have to pay it back, or enlist for up to 4 years if you decline your commission. It also is true that you don't get the time in service if you are a civilian and take the money. That is why it pays to have already been enlisted. You get the money and the extra pay when you get commissioned. It is quite a big jump, so I suggest that you take the time in service.

Status
Not open for further replies.