• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When should I start my package?

Status
Not open for further replies.

udmips

I am currently an active duty Cpl with a little over a year left on contract. I'll be graduating from college this summer. When should I get my paper work rolling on OCS?

Crowbar

None
It depends on what you plan to do. How much do you know about the different commissioning programs out there? I can think of six that come to mind, each with a "target audience". You have to decide how you plan to go about getting a commission and that will dicate which program you need to apply for, which will ultimately dictate when you need to start the paperwork.

udmips

I'm considering the Enlisted Commissioning Program ? The only programs that I'm aware of ECP, MCP, DCP, and MCEP, fill me in on the ones I'm missing. Thanks

Crowbar

None
MCP=active duty with >2yrs of college, but have not graduated yet
ECP=active duty with college degree
MECEP=active duty, remain on active duty, finish college
NROTC=open to anyone (who meets requirements)
OCC=college graduates, one 10wk session of OCS
PLC=college freshmen-juniors, 2 6wk sessions of OCS

Unless you plan on reenlisting, it may be too late to apply for ECP. You have to have already completed your degree at the time of applying. The board only meets a few (2-4) times a year and roughly 10 people get selected on each board. The competition is ludicrous for MCP and ECP.

Not saying you should reenlist or you shouldn't apply, but just be advised it's pretty tough to get into. The MCRC website (OE and ON sections) have newsletters and pages that provide statistics on people accepted for each commissioning program. If I can find the link, I'll send it to you.

I used to plan on applying for MCP but before I met the requirements I got into MECEP. You get commissioned once you finish OCS (unlike me who have to wait until graduation to get commissioned). Also, there is now the MCP-DCP (Meritorious Commissioning Program-Degree Completion Program) for officers who got commissioned under MCP but didn't finish college yet. It's like they're in MECEP but they are already Lt's who have spent a few years in the fleet. Sometimes I think I would have been better off if I would have gotten into MCP and then MCP-DCP. But that's another story.

Anyways, that's a bunch of acronyms to throw out in one post. I spent many years researching all of the programs (and applying for more than one) before I finally got into one. Ask any more questions you have or shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can for you.

dvl_dog_2531

I would extend if you are looking at ECP (you may not even need to do that). The board meets 3x a year once for each OCC class.

If you get out and then apply you may have much steeper odds for selection. Just my $.02 but selection rates for OCC (which you'd be applying for) have been abysmally low as of late.

mav04

About plc, which was mentioned above. Would this be the best program to get into if I want to fly? Is it less competive? Which one is? What would you suggest...?

Crowbar

None
Less competitive? I applied from the "inside" but from what I understand, competition for OCS is brutal these days. Some current/recent OCC/PLC students can tell you more about it. But yes, you can get a flight guarantee through PLC. Or OCC. Or NROTC. Or MECEP/MCP/ECP.

h2olover4

Dvl dog,
Why have the selection rates for OCC been so low lately? Just curious if you know the reason. I am graduating from college in October, but my recruiter and I have already started putting together my package. He told me that since I am a female wanting to go in as Air that I have a pretty good chance. Do you think that's true or no? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.