• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When did the Helo Committment change from 6 to 8 years?

ben4prez

pilot
Wondering if anybody ***definitively*** knows when the helo committment after wings changed from 6 years to 8 years. in the midst of a research project for my boss pertaining to the recent O-4 selection discussions...thanks!

Pags

N/A
pilot
My initial orders back in 2002 said 7yrs for RW. It hasn't been 6 as long as I've been around. Somewhere in between graduation and final winging it went to 8 for all aviators. As an 8yr guy I had my IZ look and FOS during the FY13 board, so this isn't something new this year.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The YG02 guys were the ones going through when it was changed. I don't know if it was the beginning of the FY or sometime in the middle, but that was the basic timeframe. As Pags said, it wasn't 6 years, it was 7.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I commissioned the YG after Pags, and was in Primary during the same timeframe. My initial orders out of ROTC show an 8 year commitment on both, and I was in zone on the CY12 and 13 boards. Looked in the NAVADMIN/ALNAV libraries for the early 2000's up to '03 and could see anything there. Maybe it got purged when they scrubbed those for PII.

ben4prez

pilot
My initial orders back in 2002 said 7yrs for RW. It hasn't been 6 as long as I've been around. Somewhere in between graduation and final winging it went to 8 for all aviators. As an 8yr guy I had my IZ look and FOS during the FY13 board, so this isn't something new this year.
Perfect, thanks. That's just the answer I was looking for. Do you know if it was just helo guys that went from 7 to 8? Was it VP as well?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I commissioned the YG after Pags, and was in Primary during the same timeframe. My initial orders out of ROTC show an 8 year commitment on both, and I was in zone on the CY12 and 13 boards. Looked in the NAVADMIN/ALNAV libraries for the early 2000's up to '03 and could see anything there. Maybe it got purged when they scrubbed those for PII.

Everyone, regardless of your winging commitment, gets 8 year commitment orders, even SWOs. He's asking about Winging commitment/orders.

Perfect, thanks. That's just the answer I was looking for. Do you know if it was just helo guys that went from 7 to 8? Was it VP as well?

Yes, everyone went to Wings +8 (for Navy SNAs).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everyone, regardless of your winging commitment, gets 8 year commitment orders, even SWOs. He's asking about Winging commitment/orders.
Yes, but the standard 8 year active/reserve commitment is not what's addressed in my orders. My initial post-ROTC orders explicitly state a winging commitment of Wings+8 for both rotary and fixed wing in the text. As opposed to Pags's, which apparently don't. So sometime between his 2002 date and my summer 2003 date is where the documentation will lie, wherever it is.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ahh, gotcha. Mine delineated the two (and maybe yours did too). It said 8 years and then said Wings +7.

Either way, I know that while there's going to be some PG stragglers and short bus medical holds (like me), the YG 02 guys were the ones that had it changed on them.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
I was a 2002 USNA grad. YG02 Spring ROTC and USNA grads all had wings +8 for both rotary and fixed wing in their orders. Some OCS grads might have had wings +7 in their orders due to inconsistencies or errors.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I was a summer 2000 ROTC grad and mine said 7 years. As I recall, it was in 2001 that they changed it.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
What you are seeing now is, in my opinion, an unintended consequence of that policy. You have guys sticking around longer because they are out of options. It is tough to get any job, and especially a flying job, coming off a 2 year disassociated gig. Dudes used to be able to roll from shore duty to civ life, not anymore. The Navy wanted more bang for their buck and they got it. Now they get to decide who stays and who goes, not the other way around. I know it isn't that simple, but I honestly believe that is the crux of it.

ben4prez

pilot
Yes, everyone went to Wings +8 (for Navy SNAs).

Appreciate the clarification -- I guess my question was more in line with this:

Which aviation communities had a Wings +8 committment before FY02 and which communities had Wings +7? I know Tailhook (E/C-2/VFA/VAQ) was 8, and helos were 7, but was VP 7 or 8? Was TACAMO 7 or 8?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
VP and TACAMO were both 7. That is a fact.

I thought (maybe just my senior citizen memory) that E-2 and COD were also 7 back in the day day. It was only a few years ago that they combined them into "Tailhook" from VT selection. I thought it was just Strike (J1/J2) that incurred the 8 years of fun. Surely someone here can clarify that, though.