• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When are you locked into the Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Thanks E-6B.. Just one quitters observations... Unfortunately (IMHO) seems to be more of the norm... "Hey, you are getting out.. Great fodder.. But you Joe Dirtbag are OUR Company Man... #1 EP..." Same ole song and dance....

CaliStyle

Honestly, their fate largely depends on the tracom CO's recommendation, if they outright quit, then they are usually assigned, if they try hard and fail, then they are allowed to explore other options.

Actually, the CO has no bearing on what happens to the SNA attrite. They just sign a piece of paper that recommends reassignment according to "the needs of the Navy." The community managers at BUPERS decide who they want in their communities. They don't know if you attrited, NPQed, or DORed. This is where the individual's package and statement really come into play: degrees, certifications, LORs, etc. Re-designation from flight school is just like applying for another job, at least on the Navy side.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
One of the things that drove me nuts about the 1310 world is that re-designating was treated by many communities as an act of disloyalty requiring punishment. (That didn't stop me from doing it, but that is another story). I could never figure out how it was that somebody wanting to do something different for the Navy was such a bad thing. When I applied for re-designation my Commodore called me in and bitched me out for "making the community look bad" in front of the 3 star. What a tool.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Actually, the CO has no bearing on what happens to the SNA attrite. They just sign a piece of paper that recommends reassignment according to "the needs of the Navy." The community managers at BUPERS decide who they want in their communities. They don't know if you attrited, NPQed, or DORed. This is where the individual's package and statement really come into play: degrees, certifications, LORs, etc. Re-designation from flight school is just like applying for another job, at least on the Navy side.

In the cases that I am familiar with, our CO wrote a LOR for each of the two individuals that they were able to carry to interviews with prospective communities that basically stated that the individual is well suited for designator "X". It worked out in both these individuals' favor. I seriously doubt that he would have written it if a guy DORed after a couple of flights. Both of these guys were well along in the syllabus, but just didn't have the skills to be pilots. Obviously you are way more versed in this stuff than me, I am just telling you what I have seen in my experience as an advisor.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
One of the things that drove me nuts about the 1310 world is that re-designating was treated by many communities as an act of disloyalty requiring punishment. (That didn't stop me from doing it, but that is another story). I could never figure out how it was that somebody wanting to do something different for the Navy was such a bad thing. When I applied for re-designation my Commodore called me in and bitched me out for "making the community look bad" in front of the 3 star. What a tool.

You just never know why or how people react to something thats a personal decision. I know a guy right now who isn't going to make O-5. He didn't get a DH tour, just very competitive. He went to war college, attempted to do the right thing but wasn't selected. So with a wife and 3 children he wants the O-5 retirement thing, to stay as long as possible. He wants to stay Navy but is now attempting to redesignate to a community that will allow him to have a good shot at O-5. Not sure of his stumbling blocks, there have been a few he said, but he's doing what he feels is best for him and his family. That's what is most important.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I know a guy right now who isn't going to make O-5. He didn't get a DH tour, just very competitive. He went to war college, attempted to do the right thing but wasn't selected. So with a wife and 3 children he wants the O-5 retirement thing, to stay as long as possible.

I got a lot of grief for essentialing giving up a guaranteed chance at O-5 for probable career suicide. Personally, I didn't care to have that always held over my head, and I didn't like the career path that locked me into (I would not have made Op Cmd). When talking to senior officers about my choice, it seemed somewhere between difficult and impossible to explain that I could live with being passed over. I have been very happy with my decision so far, but a lot of senior officers swore I would feel differently if forced to see folks that I know I was a better officer and pilot than - and even beat out on head to head FITREPS - walking around wearing CDR and I am not. I thought they were wrong then, and still think so now, but I guess we will see how my ego does.

ryanber

I think you guys are being a bit too harsh in this case. This is just someone asking a few very valid questions prior to taking on a huge commitment, and he is being branded because of it.

...The Point. Just answer the questions. Let them do with the answers as they wish and see fit. Leaders are given information and use it to the best of their knowledge. If he desides he doesn't want in or it isn't worth it then it is HIS decision...not someone who responds "Don't Join". Over ;)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
...The Point. Just answer the questions. Let them do with the answers as they wish and see fit. Leaders are given information and use it to the best of their knowledge. If he desides he doesn't want in or it isn't worth it then it is HIS decision...not someone who responds "Don't Join". Over ;)

Are you still talking? We've already established that your lack of experience means you have no bearing in this conversation. Leadership, officer like qualities, the uniform, etc are foreign entities to you. His questions were answered. Your expertise on this matter is nil, best to move along.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...my only bone with the thread is that new guys are asking questions and are being met with a healthy amount of attitude instead of being helpful or answering questions.
Concur. And I'm not just referring to this thread alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.