• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When are you locked into the Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The waters of the Air Warriors ocean are cold and bleak for the type B personality. Either that or somebody's been putting too much vodka in the AW Kool-aid lately.

He obviously has a fair amount of flight time in a structured environment already. Just because he doesn't desperately need to get into the Navy at all costs doesn't mean he's going to half ass things. As far as being an officer, and asking questions that clearly aren't those that an officer would ask I would venture to say that a vast majority of regular joes that go into OCS have no clue about the culture, noblesse oblige, and the deep sense of pride comes with leading the nations finest into battle. Why would he NOT ask these questions? He wants SA. Just answer the questions, and if the answers fit properly into his go/no-go criteria, then I'm sure he'll get the properly adjusted warrior ethos in the training pipeline.

My suggestion to OP...Read some books off the Commandant's Reading List and see if they speak to you. If they do, then it might be a correct fit. If not at all, then have fun sweating your ass off trying to prepare for your interview with the regionals.

The questions were pretty much answered. For those of us who have been there done that, there's a reason we come across as we do. That or we just have way to much time on our hands.

phrogpilot73

The questions were pretty much answered. For those of us who have been there done that, there's a reason we come across as we do. That or we just have way to much time on our hands.
I don't think it's too much time on our hands... I think he has a point - until you're IN the service, you don't know anything ABOUT the service. I wanted to quit in boot camp, thinking "what the hell did I get myself into?" Now look at me - I wish I could have stayed in...

ryanber

The waters of the Air Warriors ocean are cold and bleak for the type B personality. Either that or somebody's been putting too much vodka in the AW Kool-aid lately.

He obviously has a fair amount of flight time in a structured environment already. Just because he doesn't desperately need to get into the Navy at all costs doesn't mean he's going to half ass things. As far as being an officer, and asking questions that clearly aren't those that an officer would ask I would venture to say that a vast majority of regular joes that go into OCS have no clue about the culture, noblesse oblige, and the deep sense of pride comes with leading the nations finest into battle. Why would he NOT ask these questions? He wants SA. Just answer the questions, and if the answers fit properly into his go/no-go criteria, then I'm sure he'll get the properly adjusted warrior ethos in the training pipeline.

My suggestion to OP...Read some books off the Commandant's Reading List and see if they speak to you. If they do, then it might be a correct fit. If not at all, then have fun sweating your ass off trying to prepare for your interview with the regionals.

Spoken like a true leader. I'm not sure how old White_Male is but I asked every question I could imagine when I first started this obsession (about a year before pre-school), and you know what...I DON'T REGRET IT...and everybody offered constructive advice. He's not an officer yet, but if you ask me...asking questions when they are required (and in his case they are) are things that Officers DO.

I have a rifle mentality rather than a shotgun mentality. If you are going to do something than you do it and put all your effort into it. You don't spray pellets all over the place hoping some of them hit.
Very well put analogy. Good luck and keep asking questions, even if it sounds like some intend to "shoot you down".

phrogpilot73

You could have.
Not really - too many factors in play. I had to get out so that I could continue to apply to the USCG (I'm close to the max time in service limits), and also the whole colocation thing with my wife. I miss the Marines, but it's a price I have to pay to do what I want to do.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not really - too many factors in play. I had to get out so that I could continue to apply to the USCG (I'm close to the max time in service limits), and also the whole colocation thing with my wife. I miss the Marines, but it's a price I have to pay to do what I want to do.
I'm a little familiar with what you were facing and why you needed to leave. My point was that you could have stayed in, but you made the decision to get out for personal reasons. Nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't think it's too much time on our hands... I think he has a point - until you're IN the service, you don't know anything ABOUT the service. I wanted to quit in boot camp, thinking "what the hell did I get myself into?" Now look at me - I wish I could have stayed in...

It may be the net but it doesn't seem hard to read between the lines. He wants one thing and only thing and if he doesn't get it, how long before I can punch. Thats fine. I think it's the can do or want to do attitude that isn't coming across. Just down the hall from me at the wing are young officers who seem to come across the same way. Guys and gals, you don't want to be in their shoes, the officers I speak of. At this stage of the game, what we want are hard chargers, theres no what if's. We've already had a few whiners in this thread alone, not one of which has been there done that. Thick skin, know what to ask, how to ask it and carry on. Believe me, I'm of the bitch and speak my mind crowd. I'm very good at one thing, pissing off the front office. But I also know what is good at the beginning stage. We've answered honestly. May not like it......tough shit, thats the way it goes. Welcome to the real navy. It is what you make of it.

phrogpilot73

I think it's the can do attitude that isn't coming across. Just down the hall from me at the wing are young officers who seem to come across the same way. Guys and gals, you don't want to be in their shoes, the officers I speak of.
My wife and I have discussed this at great length... There is a definite and noticeable trend among the current JOs... That is - they seem to feel entitled and that they only care about themselves. We've also noticed it among the current crop of midshipmen we sponsor. Is it reality? Or perception? Unfortunately, many of these young men and women haven't figured out yet that perception is reality in the fleet...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
My wife and I have discussed this at great length... There is a definite and noticeable trend among the current JOs... That is - they seem to feel entitled and that they only care about themselves. We've also noticed it among the current crop of midshipmen we sponsor. Is it reality? Or perception? Unfortunately, many of these young men and women haven't figured out yet that perception is reality in the fleet...

I don't know. I've heard of some crap come through recently. I speak almost daily with the StuCon at the wing and here the stories. Fortunetly, the guys I've flown with so far have been squared away. Very motivated and tip top IMO. This is the best place to start out right. I've made my bed and I have to sleep in it. The idea here is for us with experience to offer some advice so hopefully folks in at least my foot steps. I'm going to be upfront and honest, something that isn't always present as we progress.

ryanber

We've already had a few whiners in this thread alone, not one of which has been there done that. Thick skin, know what to ask, how to ask it and carry on.

Are you saying that in order to give advice about what makes a good officer you have to actually BE an officer??

It's not about the uniform. It's about the individual beneath it.

I've known alot "Officer material" men...military and civilian. I've also known alot of "non-Officer material" men...civilian AND current military Officers. Just because someone wears the uniform doesn't make them legitimate sources of info. And just because someone doesn't wear the uniform doesn't mean that their information is illegit. Over

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Are you saying that in order to give advice about what makes a good officer you have to actually BE an officer??

I've known alot "Officer material" men...military and civilian. I've also known alot of "non-Officer material" men...civilian AND current military Officers. Just because someone wears the uniform doesn't make them legitimate sources of info. And just because someone doesn't wear the uniform doesn't mean that their information is illegit. Over

It's exactly what I'm saying. If you don't like it, tough shit. It is what it is. Not going to blow smoke up your ass. Have you been in, served? Or are you a wannabe? If not, you've got a lot to learn. Legitimate sources of info come from those who have worn or are wearing the uniform btw.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

ryanber - you THINK you know what it takes to be an officer and you THINK you know what "officer material" is. But all you have is book knowledge. By your logic, you can just read a book on how to fly and then you have the ability to tell a pilot how to fly his plane.

It takes experience to be a true judge. You have no experience and therefore no credibility.

Bunk is 100% correct.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor

I have to say you are outta line here buddy. Even as an O-2 I still hesitate to offer too much advice about officership and military experience. You will find through OCS, TBS for the Marine types, and flight school you are in a very controlled environment with only a limited exposure to the fleet (thanks mainly to officers like Bunk and Hal who share their experiences to us studs). "Out there" in the fleet is where I imagine your real leadership skills and officership will be judged and put to the test. Once again, I can only speculate. I just don't see how one's real leadership and officer-like abilities can be judged till you have "been there, done that." Out.

Recidivist

I have a rifle mentality rather than a shotgun mentality. If you are going to do something than you do it and put all your effort into it. You don't spray pellets all over the place hoping some of them hit.

I'm not saying don't think about it. I think its very reasonable to do exactly that. What I'm saying is make sure the target you put your scope on is the one you want to hit, because once you take the shot, that's it. Other than the length of the commitment the other stuff is trivia Q's, DOR shouldn't matter to you, failure shouldn't matter, because you've got to succeed.

If you conclude, though, that you are asking questions questions to provide yourself with a "bailout plan," I think you should make a different plan.

If you would like to PM me, feel free. I have been where you are, and ended up relinquishing my flight spot because I didn't feel like I was making the choice for the right reasons. Retrospectively, I made some shitty assumptions, and came to some fallacious conclusions. Ahh, the benefit of hindsight:eek:.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot

Or just because you flippantly contradict officers who have the experience to know what they are talking about and then close with a smart-assed "over" doesn't necessarily mean that you will take a pounding in this thread. Funny how it seems to work out that way though. In my limited experience, incredulously asking a senior officer if he is really saying what he just plainly said is a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.