• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wheels-up Harrier landing

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
hmm, follow NATOPS (blow the gear down) or listen to the MAG CO (an O-6)? that's a tough position to be in, I'm sure. So are you screwed if you gaff the MAG CO off and follow NATOPS? Or are you screwed if you listen to the MAG CO and end up f*ck'n the jet up (like in this case)?

S/F

Yes. Welcome to the Peoples Republic of Cherry Point.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Those darn Harrier guys...

What kind of idiot would land a Harrier on mattresses? I guess those RAG students will do anything someone tells them to...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
The thing I am glad about is that they left the tags on the mattresses. Someone could have gotten into some real trouble if they had removed them.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
What kind of idiot would land a Harrier on mattresses? I guess those RAG students will do anything someone tells them to...

It was a TAV-8B. Therefore it was a RAG IP who landed it on the mattresses.

As for "what kind of idiot" he is, he's the kind of officer that follows direct orders from the MAG CO.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Poor RP. It was probably his 6th flight in the jet or something.

I'm sure it wasn't their idea to land on the mattresses anyway.

phrogpilot73

I'm sure it wasn't their idea to land on the mattresses anyway.

Am I the only one that reads posts anymore?

At some point, the squadron let the MAG CO what was going on (for what reason, I have no idea). He directed that the pilot do a gear up vertical landing. He directed the mattresses to be placed under the nose.

When the pilot heard about all of this, he refused to do it unless he heard it directly from the MAG CO. The MAG CO got on the radio and told him to do it.

propwash

seems most jet avatars aren't even pilots yet
pilot
Despite all the speculation, the comments above about it being a T bird and an irreplaceable airframe (not made anymore apparently), and the chain of events that followed with the moron huffing computer cleaner and then running into the saved little bird are true true. We all watched this "odd" landing from our spaces.

Go figure...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 'huffer' incident was nothing more than a hit job on the jet, and nothing anyone can say will convince me otherwise. LCpl Schmuckatelli got his Big Chicken Dinner and is living it up in the Caribbean as thanks for being the fall guy.

/tinfoil hat

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
The 'huffer' incident was nothing more than a hit job on the jet, and nothing anyone can say will convince me otherwise. LCpl Schmuckatelli got his Big Chicken Dinner and is living it up in the Caribbean as thanks for being the fall guy.

/tinfoil hat

You know too much.

Watch what you say, or you may find a parts van heading your way in the near future. We... er... they have plenty more fall-guys to keep things under wraps.