• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's your opinion about outing oneself in the motivational statement?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I've done a number of interviews for professional applicants (medical corps, medical professionals, non-knuckle draggers like myself)...and I'd say you really, really don't want to go into your sexuality or anything else too personal. As several others have stated, it doesn't matter why you suddenly decided to finish school up with that outrageous course load, it could have been financial reasoning - who cares? (unless you were running from the law or something), what matters is you decided to get done early, took responsibility for the work necessary to make it happen, and then excelled. To me that's the central thesis of your motivational statement - when hard work needed to get done, you took the bull by the horns and made it happen.

To me bringing up your sexuality would be akin to someone bringing up their political beliefs to explain why they were so heavily involved in a senator's campaign prior to applying to the Navy. If you did good work for a senator, great, I don't give a rats ass what you think about politics, I just want to know that you can be counted on under pressure.

You being gay - BFD. You kicking ass when faced with a challenge - that's important.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
You can talk about the personal qualities that enabled you to successfully complete your course load a year early etc...all while shitting greatness as a RA...without saying word 1 about why you chose to do that. Frankly, as a board member, I wouldn't give a shit why you did it. That you did it is a much more important and clear statement about who you are than why you did it.

I fully support your right to serve openly. I fully support your right to sleep with whoever you chose. None of those things are something I want to hear about on a motivational statement. They just don't impact your value to my Navy.

LET73

To the OP, I wouldn't say you "jumped ship" in the face of adversity. To me, that would suggest dropping out, or transferring somewhere else, which is the opposite of what you did. The way I read your post, you did what you had to do to finish what you started with minimal compromise of your principles. It couldn't have been easy.

That said, finishing early with that workload speaks for itself, and I don't think you need to bring up the fact that you're gay. Normally you only have to bring up mitigating circumstances when you've done something that looks bad on your record. DADT is over and done with, but I don't think you want the board to have the impression that you've got an agenda. You'll get selected (or not) based on your merits.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I'd suggest you leave it out. I agree that modern 20 something's mostly don't care about this issue, but those aren't the people judging your application.

It's a simple calculation: the chances that sharing that information positively influence somebody to select you are much smaller than the chances that it has a negative influence.

MasterBates

Also, as the cynical asshole man, let me put it this way. I'm not sure if we have Gay Quotas.. But Throwing your sexuality out there makes it seem like you are hoping there is.

You sound like you are a competitive candidate without going in there. Let your record stand on it's merits. Your sexuality should not fucking matter, and if you don't tell the fucking board, it won't.

I think packages should have no name, gender or race.. Just candidate X1234 and your statement, which should be devoid of such (yeah, hard to hide you are male if you are an Eagle Scout, etc)

mrmperry

Graffiti Dinosaur
Hey, thanks for taking an interest everyone.

C420, good point. I'm not sure if I'll stay in for the full 20 or what (not hired yet = too early to talk, I think) but just because I'm not thinking about it doesn't mean it won't come into their calculations. Good to be aware of.

tiz84, perhaps my sense of “fluff” vs. “not fluff” needs to be recalibrated. I thought that giving context would be useful and make the accomplishment in question stand out more, but you probably have a better gauge of what Senior Officers will think. I’ll watch out for “non-objective information” in my revisions, but see also my reply to Spekkio below.

NavyOffRec, I’m not interested in commissioning just to make a statement.

CAMike, thanks for the response. Since the selection process uses the whole person concept, I think clearly communicating “who I am” is very important. I’m not positive that that can’t be done better without mentioning my sexuality, which in this context isn’t important in and of itself. Whether I end up including it or not, though, I’ll do my best to be both honest and tactful.

LFCFan, that’s a good point. To be honest, though, I was shocked by those stats last round, and I’d rather not count on high selection rates (even though they might come into play). I want to make my package as good as I can, and then outside factors will do what they will.

Spekkio, I agree that you don’t need to talk about overcoming adversity to get selected, but do you think talking about overcoming adversity hurts an application? I would have thought that talking about overcoming adversity would be a good opportunity to show-not-tell about qualities that are useful to the Navy. To me, the fact that my academic performance is noted elsewhere in the application makes it even more valuable to have this context. For example, I’d thought this section of my motivational statement to be a good example of "commitment" (to the honor code I’d signed). Without the gay/byu/prop 8 context, the same accomplishments don’t seem to have much to do with commitment.

Maybe I’m wrong about that. Either way, in my next revision I’ll pay special attention to the why of my application, and I’ll also be sure to tie everything more closely to how it will add value to the Navy. Thanks for drawing my attention to that.

asheldon, I think you’re right that, not knowing the opinions of the board members, it would be smarter to leave The Gay out if I can do it without leaving out important things as well. And I bet I can figure out how to do that, eventually, even though I don’t quite know how yet. (Possibly because I’m too close to it, which is why you all’s opinions are so helpful.) I hope that if I end up keeping it I’ll be tactful enough that no one feels like I’m pushing it in their face.

Propstop, to be honest, I’m not sure that I consider my orientation a particularly personal thing (overcompensation for time in the closet?), but that’s a different can of worms, and not an important one. Thanks for reminding me that other people do think of it as too personal to be appropriately included in professional situations. I like your political metaphor too, though before reading all these responses I thought of it more like “I worked crazy hard because of gay/byu/Prop 8” : “I did this awesome project because I worked for Senator X.” Hope that makes sense.

scoober78, well said. Shitting greatness.

LET73, that’s a good point--circumstances tend to be brought up for mitigation. Maybe in my unconscious I’ve been thinking that that last crazy semester looks bad--irresponsible or something--without the context. Thanks.

bert, that’s what the reviewers I mentioned in the OP said. You’ve probably got a point.

MasterBates, thanks for being a cynical asshole. Sometimes it's needed. For what it’s worth, I paid enough attention to the DADT changes to know there is no gay quota nor anything like unto it. (But the board doesn't know I know that.)

Everyone, Thanks for weighing in. I’ll take all these thoughts into account at my next revision, and whenever my package actually goes to board I’ll be sure to let you all know how it turns out.

MasterBates

Well, there are no official quotas at promotion boards, but they are still subject to a legal review to ensure compliance with DOD/Congressional directives.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I may have missed it, but did your GPA suffer during the triple load? If so, that would bear explanation to include the backstory.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
The motivational statement is your chance to tell the board why they should hire you for a job. Would you tell a potential civilian employer about your sexuality in a job interview? You should talk about why you would make a great Officer. The other purpose of the motivational statement, as you alluded to, is to explain anomalies in your package. I would say that typically involves something less than flattering, like why you got a ticket for underage drinking in college and what you did to fix it and get better yadda yadda. Kicking ass in college and taking on a higher than normal workload doesn't really need to be explained away or require any amplifying info. It's a good thing, let it speak for itself.

Mew

It depends on what your goal is. . .

is your primary goal to be a get into the Navy as an openly gay officer or to get into the Navy?

If you only want to be in the Navy if it will welcome you with open arms for being gay then tell your story and be aware you might go to a board with some one who firmly believes "gays" don't belong in the navy and get passed over for that reason. It is a risk

The safest course of action is to not talk about it. While don't ask don't tell maybe gone that doesn't mean that being out is completely accepted by all and you would be gambling doesn't make it right but doesn't mean it isn't true.