• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's up with the lack of profile info by users on the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok, a couple rants and raves....

What's up with the lack of profile info by users on the forum?

Now, I can fully understand the need for privacy and not wanting to say who you are, I have pulled all my personal info from this site on two occassions before deployment. But that being said, you can still put some info out, at least on your interests, etc. I am not compiling any list or anything, its just when I read a post, and go, hmm, that person has a good point, or dang, they are all ****ed up, and click to pull up a profile, most of the time I find nothing there. Spend the time, go to your User CP, and update your profile. Even if it is just "wouldn't you like to know" :) Also, if you don't like the input fields I have, or want me to add any, I can adjust that as necessary also.

Second, use the reputation system!

My main guess is that most users don't even know what the reputation system is. You can add or subtract points to a users reputation if you think they added a good/bad post. You click on the "scales" icon (you can see one to the left, hold your cursor over it, and it will say "Add to webmaster's reputation", this will open a new window that will allow you to say if you approve/disapprove of the post in question, and a spot to put a comment line in on your thoughts. The more posts you make over time, the more reputation adding/subtracting power you have. In addition, you can't repeatedly "hit" someone's posts in order to drive up/down their reputation. Over time, and by consensus you can find out who is consistently providing good info. There are a couple other neat things I can do with this. For example, if a person reaches a certain negative rating they can start losing access to parts of the forum, or even automatic banning. On the converse side, as a person's reputation goes up, you can gain them additional rights and or make them a moderator automatically, etc...

Oh well, just two of my thoughts, anyone have anything to add on this?

John

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
John,

I think alot of people on this site who are pre-OCS have wisely left their info blank. Other than that, it's probably pure apathy. I too like to know about posters when I read a good or bad post. Also, I can proudly say I'm on a distinguished road. (that's referring to my reputation)

Spencer

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Everyone starts off with a default 10 points of reputation, and you end up with the "Blank is on a distinguished road".... Via the user cp you can also see your reputation points, and on what posts you were given positive/negative points on.

As for the OCS part, yes I agree with that. And on a further note, if you have a username that you want to change, I can do that also. A number of ppl posting on here, on second thought, needed their username changed to something more anonymous (sp? a heck, anymouse (for those who know what that means)). But there is a vast majority of ppl on this site that aren't in OCS or about to go to OCS, and that is where I want to confront the whole "apathy" issue.

John

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
John~
Thanks for explaining the reputation system. I was a little confused about what greater purpose it served, but you've cleared that up. That's actually a great idea. I agree with you about the profiles... it's nice to know a little something about someone, even if it's completely unrelated to the site.

Crystal

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Appreciate the comments. Mr. Webb, do I get to pick your new username? jk

Good point on the profiles on the OLD website. They got lost in the move unfortunately, Think I mentioned it once before to update them. So, if you have the time/inclination, please update your profiles.

John

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
i'm still trying to get my password from my old log-in name (Jarhead) ... my e-mail address changed from the one i had registered with this site so i haven't recieved any e-mails with regards on how to fix the password issue.

i can PM you my usmc.mil e-mail account if you want, as i like my old user name vice this one. (i'm sitting here on ODO)

thanks

S/F

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always wondered what exactly a "distinguished road" is....

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
jarhead -- check your PM.

zab, first off, nice avatar... second, how in the hell can you be disgruntled? It's not like you are going to Dodge or something.....

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Khakis EVERYDAY. I have lost all hair on my legs where shirt stays go.

Oh yeah. I own ONE set of khakis.

(On a side note, had an Air Force 2nd LT intel weenie try to chew me out for not saluting him today. I was in whites. He kept calling me Chief. I just stood by and smiled as he went on and on. Finally he goes 'Well????" and I point to a real Chief and explained to him the subtle differences in our uniforms. Upon finishing I said "Well????" 2nd LT Slappy proceded to salute me and apologize. Good times.)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Hey zab, do you wear those stirrup shirtstays? Those hurt, you should see if you can get some Marine Officer shirt stays, they come in a yellow box and they hook on to your socks. They're also way better than those crappy ones at the NEX that always pop off.

They're made by "Officers' Equipment Company"

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Hey Zab,
One of the reasons I come on the site now is to check out your new Avatar, keep them coming!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Zab,

That story is hilarious. I don't think I could have kept my cool long enough to let him wear himself out, though. And my improptu PME would've been much less entertaining.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Joint service command on an army post...I never thought I'd miss MCBH this much.

Status
Not open for further replies.