• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the deal with the Navy having too many pilots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
I read in the AF times this weekend that the Navy has like 200 more pilots than they have aircraft for this year due lack of older pilots leaving and high retention. It said that the Navy is sending many of the new pilots to reserve units rather than releasing them. For all you guys that are in flight training now or have recently finished, is this really going on? how bad is it? I'm applying for OCS this summer and this news kind of bums me out.

Grant

From what I've gathered, from reading other posts on this forum... the airline industry is in bad shape at the moment, so they're not hiring many new pilots right now, so military pilots feel more inclined to stay at their current job. Also, the Navy is phasing out the S-3B, and transferring those pilots to other communities. Since there isnt a replacement being phased in, the Navy has a surplus of pilots.

Surely there are many other reasons, but I'm just not familiar with them. :D

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It's all cyclical - something will happen and BuPers (or whatever they are called now) will be screaming for Pilots.

Bottom line is go with the flow and don't let all the rhetoric dissuade you from persuing an awesome career.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
Anyone know if the marine corps is seeing the same thing right now? I heard from someone that they were hurting for pilots. Anyone know if that's true?

KBayDog

danthaman said:
Anyone know if the marine corps is seeing the same thing right now? I heard from someone that they were hurting for pilots. Anyone know if that's true?

It is worth taking the time to look around on this board. The answers are there. You'll certainly find out if the Marine Corps needs pilots.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
danthaman said:
I read in the AF times this weekend that the Navy has like 200 more pilots than they have aircraft for this year due lack of older pilots leaving and high retention. It said that the Navy is sending many of the new pilots to reserve units rather than releasing them. For all you guys that are in flight training now or have recently finished, is this really going on? how bad is it? I'm applying for OCS this summer and this news kind of bums me out.

For those getting to go fly the reserves, flying C-40's, C-9's, or C-130's is a great deal. Flying 737's ought to get you some good flight time and your rating. Can you say Southwest (if they're hiring I suppose). I also just read a message that starting with the 08 selection board, to make O-5, you will have to your JPME 1. That's way down the road for many but soon for many of my compatriots.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bunk, yeah, just read that at work yesterday, oh joy... but I doubt I will be around that long anyways.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
webmaster said:
Bunk, yeah, just read that at work yesterday, oh joy... but I doubt I will be around that long anyways.

I just got the books for mine from Naval War college. I don't need it for my year group but it may help screen for command. Believe it or not, I'm still in the running for command. Kind of like the Dumb and Dumber one in a million chance but what the hell, gotta have goals :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
D_mac05 said:
Can you fill me in on what JPME 1 is? Never heard that term. Thanks

What A4s says and 1 is the first phase as I understand it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
bunk22 said:
What A4s says and 1 is the first phase as I understand it.
True story, my newest, best AirWarriors friend, bunk22 .... I'm serious ... bunk and I are O.K. now .... reached a professional/ Aviator understanding and have mutual respect . It's great ---- some of the rest of you might try it.

If you choose not to ..... AW "new" smiley face for you ..... :censored_

Fred

bunk22 said:
I just got the books for mine from Naval War college. I don't need it for my year group but it may help screen for command. Believe it or not, I'm still in the running for command. Kind of like the Dumb and Dumber one in a million chance but what the hell, gotta have goals :D

Did you check into getting the Air Forces JPME Phase one curriculum? It gets the check in the box and is shorter and easier (according to many) than the Navy's.

The vast majority of those who screened for 05 Command on this last board had at least one joint box checked. (JPME Phase 1 or a Joint tour)

Status
Not open for further replies.