• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What you did after your Aviation career...

KickintInSD

So I guess I just wanted to make a thread to see what everyone has done after their career in Naval Aviation. Also, if you are about to retire, what you are thinking about doing.

This is primarily for those who stopped after their min commitment, and did not retire fully from the workforce after their military career.

I'm going to graduate soon, and got picked up for Aviation a few months back. I'm getting a degree in the Biological Sciences-Microbiology, and have been thinking about what a waste these last 4 years have been. Why didn't I just choose Poly Sci, or History? BioSci changes so fast, in 10 years, it will be like I never got a BS...

Enough ranting, I just want to see where you all have been working, and maybe get some ideas for myself. Black Ops? Contracted flying? Civilian transport? Naval reserves + other work? Etc..

Thanks again!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Airline pilot, stayed in the Reserves, retired from Reserves, volunteer air crew for local Sheriff's Office. I sort of fell into the airline thing. It is rare for a NFO. I was going to be an international arms dealer. ( I was working on a job with McDonnell Douglas Helicopters selling Apaches to foreign militarys.) I am still disappointed I didn't get that business card.

bizlake

Another A-Pool Guy
How did you sort of "fall into the airline world?" I tried and didnt have any luck! lol I guess it just depends on timing and the economy though. I would love to fly either for a living or own my own plane after being an NFO. Hats off to you for conquering both worlds.

Airline pilot, stayed in the Reserves, retired from Reserves, volunteer air crew for local Sheriff's Office. I sort of fell into the airline thing. It is rare for a NFO. I was going to be an international arms dealer. ( I was working on a job with McDonnell Douglas Helicopters selling Apaches to foreign militarys.) I am still disappointed I didn't get that business card.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Get back to me...I hope to be a rich, bald, tan, old man with a busty 25 year old girlfriend drinking margaritas on an island with no cell phone and only a PO Box. Also, a pontoon seaplane.

So basically you hope to be A4's only bald?...:D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Became a civil servant for the federal government and joined the reserves.

MasterBates

When I thought I was done flying for the Navy, an opportunity to fly more for the Navy showed up, so I'm still here.

I was going to go back into engineering though.

Huggy Bear

pilot
I fly FA-18s as a civilian and make more than 3 times what I made when I got out, but best of all I have a beard now :).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
NFO to Airline Pilot

Like Wink, I went from NFO to airline pilot. Only I didn't "fall into it". I planned, plotted, networked and did everything I could the last 6 years of my active duty time to be ready to make the transition when I retired. The results -2 years, 9 months from when I retired I was in ground school at Hawaiian. Not bad for an NFO..... I will admit, timing is everything and it certainly went my way.

(For those that wonder what I did to get into the airlines- do a search. It's all been talked about before.)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How did you sort of "fall into the airline world?" I tried and didnt have any luck! lol I guess it just depends on timing and the economy though. I would love to fly either for a living or own my own plane after being an NFO. Hats off to you for conquering both worlds.

I had been flying since I was 18. Had most my tickets. I took shore duty in my home town to be close to my bride, who was in law school 90 miles away. Once home with the old gang (all pilots) I got reacquainted with them and their new airline pilot friends. As a recruiter I was going to bank on my sales and marketing experience to work for McDonnell Douglas Helicopters. But my buddies insisted I take a job flying. Just happened a small new commuter was expanding and two of my friends were on the hiring committee. I had just their minimum required experience. Every other applicant had more time. I got hired and took the job because it came through so easily. I expected to have fun with old friends and simply pad my resume with some civilian operational experience. Eventually I'd go back to looking for a non flying aviation job. The rest is history. You said it, timing. There were single anchor guys in my Reserve unit that could not get a flying job to save their ass. I had mine handed to me. When I moved to the bigs I only interviewed with two airlines. The one that turned me down was my first choice. If I had been hired I would have been furloughed for months at one point. They have been bankrupt and are still on the bubble. Company that hired me is much more stable then most of their peers. I have been very very lucky. Every other NFO to airline pilot I know (that is less then 10 counting HAL) has had to work harder and invest more then I did.