• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What was your work experience prior to applying to OCS?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I was an engineer working as a beltway bandit for NASA. About the only thing I miss is the money, other than that, I'm glad I joined the Navy.

yakboyslim

None
Worked as a server (including at a dining club for hilariously rich people), CNC machine operator, IT support for law school and had an engineering internship. Separate times throughout college.

AT3Macklin

Commissioned 17 AUG 2012
waited/bartended through school, enlisted for 3 years and change, got my pro rec and waiting on that signed sweetness that lets me checkout and make my way to Newport.....

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I made fine rugs and sold jewelry out of car trunks and back alleys.

"My man my man...you want Rollex? It's like Rolex..it's the same don't worry my friend."

Any gold chains I didn't sell, I wore prominently on my hairy chest. Sold cheap cologne as well when I could get it in stock.

Lost it all in a card game and to avoid my suppliers who wanted their money, I ran off and joined the Navy.

banana380

pilot
Firearm and accessory retailer
Graveyard shift casket manufacturer
Golf course grass cutter

Interesting course of events the year before OCS...

natheo

FS SNA, July 8
I was a production assistant and a writer in college, I'm currently a stagehand at the university's arena. I worked retail management before all of that, however.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
First job I worked for a guy repairing and restoring yachts stored at Janzten Beach. I was a skinny 14-year-old kid who could fit into small spaces so he'd use a laser pointer and talk me through repairs in places he was too fat to reach. It was great money, I had more than any 14-year-old should be allowed to have.

At 18 I talked my way into a job working at a music instrument repair shop for the largest music store in the Pacific Northwest. Good thing they didn't know that I couldn't play a dang thing and knew nothing about instruments or music. I learned quick and the job lasted a couple years while I tried to put myself through college.

Ended up having to help support my parents and siblings and I couldn't do that and support myself and go to college so I joined the Marine Corps to earn money for mom and pop and get the GI Bill to reach my dream of flying. These days I'm sitting pretty at a university making money off of grants, gi bill and the work study program.

I work at a VA hospital now pushing old vets around in wheelchairs and helping with various odd jobs. One time an old salt that I was carting around insisted that I was going the wrong way and taking him to the wrong department. This guy had a notorious reputation for being a dick towards all the staff so I guess that's why they stuck me with him. I assured him we were going to the right place. Old son of a gun looks up at me, growls, and says "Boy, I'm a US Marine and a combat veteran, I know where I'm going and you're not taking me the right way." I said "well, Sir, I'm a US Marine and combat vet too and you're an ornery son of a bitch." The guy laughed his ass off and we've been friends ever since. Turns out he served in the same battalion as my grandpa during the Korean War.

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
Went to school to coach basketball and teach.(still might when i'm an old retired guy) PE degree...

Worked my way through college working for my dad on quarter horse ranches....did all the dirty work (cleaned lots of stalls from age 12-22), but got to start colts, ride, and rope too which was the fun part. Saw T-6's from Vance flying over ranch a few years ago and decided to start talking to recruiters...Navy sounded better than AF.

Currently a teacher's aide/coach at the school where I did my student teaching.

still waiting on final select but its supposed to be coming...actually just finished up night watching pregnant mares for my dad...walked around barn all night trying to memorize codes of conduct and some more for OCS.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
So what you're thinking is that with your experience shovelling shit you think you'll make a good Navy officer? :D