• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to wear to enlistment swearing in...

LET73

I'm pretty sure I wore jeans and a collared shirt. Probably. Actually, it might have been a t-shirt. But then again, that was in 2007, and if NRD New England had a Facebook page with photos from the ceremony, no one told me about it. But if you've got family coming or if you know there are going to be pictures, maybe dress up a little more.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Business casual would mean slacks & collared shirt (not blue jeans or t-shirt as an outergarment). Tie is optional, sport coat (blazer style) is optional but a nice touch. shoes & belt should be leather & should match, socks are required and (obviously) should match the clothes and each other.

I'm sorry to sound like the clothes police, but there is an art and science to gentlemen's wear and it's often misunderstood. A very nice (and free) resource is here http://askandyaboutclothes.com/

Of course, soon your clothing choices will be less complicated. I understand the poopy suit comes in only one color...
When I looked up the civilian dress code equivalent to the khakis, which is what they wore at my recruiting office, it said "civilian informal," which means business suit. But I like this better, since you don't wear a tie with the khakis.
Also, if we're gonna go all fashionista up in here, I've read that the socks should match either your shoes or the pants. Usually this is kind of a no-brainer, since it's usually black socks with black shoes, but if you wanted to wear brown shoes, you might need khaki pants and socks that are about the same shade.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The civilian equivalent to khakis is business casual. The civilian equivalent to SDBs or summer whites is business suit attire.

Having said that, I think this is being nuked to hell. It's your enlistment contract that you will only fulfill if you wash out of OCS AND were getting paid prior to OCS. I never thought about it as anything more than a formality. The real deal is getting commissioned and swearing in as an Ensign.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
If you are going into the USMC, the civilian requirement during the warmer months is jorts and a woven belt, during summer, Levi's and a woven belt, both with a collared shirt tucked in neatly.

jcj

If you are going into the USMC, the civilian requirement during the warmer months is jorts and a woven belt, during summer, Levi's and a woven belt, both with a collared shirt tucked in neatly.

Don't forget the go-faster's - and the over-the calf white socks for the summer months (sock length @ candidate's discretion for the winter).

Seriously - this young man's signing his contract appointment aside - all of us have occasion to wear nice civilian clothes from time to time. The Ask Andy site in my previous post has a bunch of good information - for free and to my knowledge not overtly pushed by any specific clothier - about how not to look like a bag of ass & doorknobs when you're out in the civilian world in civilian clothes & you're supposed to look nice. I think it's all for gentlemen, although I'm sure there are similar resources for ladies. It's worth look if you think that's important. Now if your idea of "dressed nice" is a clean bowling shirt, then you don't need the Ask Andy site.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
The military ceremony is the beginning of your military career and represents your commitment to service. So the way you dress says how serious you are. Think nice trousers or trousers, a shirt and simple shoes. Make sure your outfit has no wrinkles, creases, stains, etc. A collared long-sleeved shirt is good.You don't have to add a tie, but if you really want to, you can.
1677758086857.gif
This has got to be close to the record for thread revival. Also, extremely well spoken, robot.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The military ceremony is the beginning of your military career and represents your commitment to service. So the way you dress says how serious you are. Think nice trousers or trousers, a shirt and simple shoes. Make sure your outfit has no wrinkles, creases, stains, etc. A collared long-sleeved shirt is good.You don't have to add a tie, but if you really want to, you can.

Any reason you’re responding to a 10 ish year dead thread?