• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What percentage REALLY get to fly jets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broadsword2004

Just wondering, and this is probably one of those posts where no one really knows the full answer, but like if one does aviation, what is the actual chance of them actually getting to fly jets (like fighters)? I was reading that like Air Force aviation classes at flight school are like 24 people, and only the like the top 50-75% of those can possibly get jets.

Just wondering like what kind of numbers does the Marine Corps have in that? (I am guessing around the same).

winger

FNG
Fiscal Year '05 USMC Aviation Production numbers call for 33% of all SNAs to go jets. The source for that is the Delta Company Aviation night mixer, put on by MATSG, on Monday (29DEC) night.

S/F

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
a third? haha... i seriously doubt that. maybe more like 20-25%.

granted, the corps has been drafting quite a few jet guys as of late, but that's coming to an end, as the word with stucon here (k-rock) is they can only class up a VERY small number of marines between jan and oct 05. they've been classing up big groups of marines left and right and it looks like they're seeing that it's only going to cause another problem in the future... bungee-cord management at its finest folks.

look... do your best in primary and enjoy whatever you get. there are plenty of people who wanted jets that didnt get them or wanted helos and got forced jets.... they all seem to be enjoying what they got.

Clux4

Banned
Have this mentality of "If the Marine Corps gives you a dish-washer to fly, you will fly it as long as you getting the job done" ( I think I got this from VetteMuscle - not sure)

KBayDog

FY '05 Pilots:

R/W - 177 (57%)
F/W (Jets) - 104 (33%)
Maritime - 32 (10%)

F/W:

AV-8B - 39%
F/A-18C/D - 55%
EA-6B - 6%

R/W:

CH-46 - 39%
CH-53D - 8%
CH-53E - 19%
UH-1N - 14%
AH-1W - 20%

Same source - D/E MATSG brief, 29 Nov

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
those numbers are all well and good, but they are goals, not reality. FY04's numbers were essentially the same, but what they don't reflect are things like the Harrier rag being backed up and no one able to select them since August or so, or how essentially no prowler slots were given out last year then they handed out 4 at the last FY winging, leading to most everyone getting hornets -- over 55%.

and, those numbers are from the corps 10 yr aviation plan, which is based on RAG production, not winging out of advanced - granted, they are related, but figure in a little attrition and time to train issues. no one in TBS right now is going to be a FY05 wingee anyhow (ie. wing by Oct05).

for the overrall picture though, i can see how they say such high percentages, especially with the way they've been drafting so many people as of late, but I wouldn't really expect that to continue forever. one week everyone with the grades may be sent jets, while the next, you might not get in with a near-perfect nss. it's really unpredictable and seems almost knee-jerk to whatever the rags want - they say it isn't, but it looks that way.

/rambling perspective from jetland

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Broadsword2004 said:
Just wondering, and this is probably one of those posts where no one really knows the full answer, but like if one does aviation, what is the actual chance of them actually getting to fly jets (like fighters)? I was reading that like Air Force aviation classes at flight school are like 24 people, and only the like the top 50-75% of those can possibly get jets.

Just wondering like what kind of numbers does the Marine Corps have in that? (I am guessing around the same).

I am guessing you are like 15 to like 20 years old. Because like you know, like you write like you like talk when your like that age. Like my 14 y/o cousin, she like says like you know and like like, WAY TOOO MUCH. Learn to leave that like out before you like have to fill out like an application.

//sorry, couldn't resist. teen talk is the most annoying form of communication

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
jg5343 said:
I am guessing you are like 15 to like 20 years old. Because like you know, like you write like you like talk when your like that age. Like my 14 y/o cousin, she like says like you know and like like, WAY TOOO MUCH. Learn to leave that like out before you like have to fill out like an application.

LoL!!!!!!!!!1111 That is krazy funny

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
jg5343 said:

Like, kind of uncalled for dude.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Probably uncalled for, but the way I see it I am doing him a favor. Have you ever had to interact professionally with a person that actually talks like that? They have no idea they are doing it, and it makes them sound ridiculous. If he is writing it that way, I assure you he is speaking it worse. Now he knows and will probably work on it. Just doing my part to save the younger generations.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
That's cool. Just didn't want to see a newcomer get sh!t on for being young. That'd be a SWO thing to do (kidding ...). Anyway, constructive criticism is good, sorry if I read it wrong.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
I dont think he needs someone raggin on him in a forum. If it is a problem, it'll go away at OCS after he gets a big hairy SI breathing down his neck telling him he's "like nasty!" Lets not be synicle (sp?) in our constructive criticism, we dont want to turn into the forums on military.com.

As for the topic, I want to pilot a gun ship (is it wrong if you get a hard on everytime you see the AH-1Z?). But personally I will happily fly a $hit house if that is what the Corps says I should fly (And hey, it'll come in handy after that first air combat situation!).

Status
Not open for further replies.