• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

what now>>>>>>>>>>>read plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

lerimarfc

OK, so I just finished the application for the Marine option NROTC. Interview was fun, forms turned in, PFT felt good. I have now entered a new world of paranoia and stress over weither I will get in or not. Right now I do not know what type of people I am up against (
bigeyes2_125.gif
maybe I am the only applicant that does not have a 3.5 GPA, prez of the school, and 300 PFT
bigeyes2_125.gif
). I would realy like to ask the question "what are my chances" but it apears to be the most highly asked and least awnsered questions on this forum. On the otherhand I also know that most everyone was, is, or will be in the situation I am right now. What can be done to calm the nerves, maybe even scope out the competition, and maybe even some last ditch efforts that I can still do to improve my chances.

ps: If you can remember my last topic I would like to add that I used the phrase "picking up smoking" in more of a metaphorical sense.

Rob_ERAU

Dude chill out, I'm not in NROTC, but I can tell you that when dealing with the military you just have to sit back and wait for the news sometimes. If you have done all you can do then why continue to be nervous or paranoid. Paranoia will not get you anywhere, only bad sleep. Anyways, enjoy life and college they are more important. You do not have to be a president of a school or have a 300 PFT to get into any Marine Officer Program, sure they are nice but not a must.
All in all, sit back and enjoy the show, continue to work hard in school and improve constantly on your PFT. Hard work will make you an attractive officer candidate thus an NROTC cadet. No one can determine your "chances" but you... you decide your future.
Good Luck,

bsteach

Hey lerimarfc...couple questions for you. in a years time i am planning on turning in my NROTC marine option app. i know absolutly nothing about the how the process works so any light that you can shed would be great. what school are you going for? if you could just share your experience a little bit for me and others that would be awesome. thanks man

Patrick Daly

Hey all,

This is my area of expertise. I'm currently a 3/c midshipman - Marine Option - at Boston University. I got the scholarship coming out of high school and I was far from being perfect on paper. At the time I ran a 17:54 on the run, did 160 situps (looking back I have no idea why, you only need 100) and pulled out 12...that was my first ever pft, score of 260. I had a high school gpa of 3.4, unweighted, and a 1260 SAT. Yes, I was vp of my class, 3 sport athlete, all state track, lots of community service, and that all looked good. But I honestly think the most important stuff is the recommendations (get really good ones from people who know you well), the interviews (be articulate, knowledgable and enthusiatic), and the essays (be patriotic and show even more enthusiasm). The board is very competitive, but the Marine Corps isn't looking for geniuses with 50 pound heads. They're looking for leaders who are confident and charismatic. If you don't get the scholarship, the last thing should do is be discouraged, I've seen many kids do the College Program and pick it up after the first semester or first year. Well I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions related to anything. Feel free to IM me at midndaly18.

Regards,

Pat

StallforSpin

I am currently a junior at Utah Valley State, majoring in aviation science. I have been operating under the assumption that the vision requirments for pilots and NFO's were the same, but information on this web site indicates otherwise. Can anyone here confirm the vision requirements for NFO's and fill me in on the corrective surgery waivers. I have dreamed of flying in a big tom my whole life, front or back seat.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You should be able to find the Aviation requirements for SNA or SNFO on the NAMI website (http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm#sna). Yes the eyesight requirement is different. If you are considering corrective sugery, PRK is the only acceptable eye surgery. More info in the NAMI website....take a look.
ea6bflyr
icon_smile_wink.gif

Originally posted by StallforSpin
I am currently a junior at Utah Valley State, majoring in aviation science. I have been operating under the assumption that the vision requirments for pilots and NFO's were the same, but information on this web site indicates otherwise. Can anyone here confirm the vision requirements for NFO's and fill me in on the corrective surgery waivers. I have dreamed of flying in a big tom my whole life, front or back seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.