• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What kind of camera to purchase?

flynsail

pilot
Looking to upgrade my current camera and I have no knowledge when it comes to buying a camera. What I was hoping to get from this camera is something that produces great photo quality and can capture movement such as sports games.

Not worried about the camera being bulky or needing different lenses. Looking at the reviews from CNET, it looks like a SLR camera may be the right choice. They had decent reviews on the Canon EOS Rebel XSi and the Nikon D80.

The Sony Cybershot DSC-W80 just doesn't produce the quality photos I was hoping for. It seems that a SLR camera may be better.

Any photographers willing to offer some insight? Thanks.

Oh yeah, price may determine what any suggestions are....I'm willing to spend near $1000.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
While visiting Webmaster last May, my camera died and it gave me the excuse of getting a dSLR. Hopefully Check Six will see the thread and give you his 20 bucks worth, but here was my take (he's a Canon guy, from what he's shared w/ me here).

I was looking at the Rebel flavor at the time and the D80 and feature-wise, the D80 seemed like the better way to go. I think one of the things that sold me on the D80 over the Rebel was the inability to meter around the picture. I can't remember if the Rebel could focus around the viewfinder at that time, but that was another thing I wanted. I think the current Rebel now has both of these options. Since then, I asked Check Six about his take and he made a comment about how fast Canons are. Since hearing that and then playing w/ whatever the Canon equivalent to the D80 is/was, and I would agree. The Canon seemed to focus faster than the Nikon, otherwise I've been very happy w/ my D80. I can't remember what I spent on the D80, but it was much cheaper to get it at the NEX than the 'net when using their first-time-use NEX card (or whatever that thing is called). It saved me something like 10+% plus not having to pay shipping and taxes. Plus I REALLY wanted a camera to take some shots of Oahu at the time, so it was win-win.

AJB37

I would suggest the Nikon. My mom has a D300, which takes amazing photos. I have an old Nikon N6006 film which works really well. The thing is almost as old as I am an still works.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have an old Nikon N6006 film which works really well. The thing is almost as old as I am an still works.

I'm not against Nikon, but your statement above is like saying you should buy a Beechjet because the Bonanza is a good plane.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I've owned two Nikon D80's...both stolen in Corpus...and a D-100.

After the theft of those bodies and lenses, I decided to give Canon a try and I currently have a Cannon EOS 30D and a Canon EOS 1D. Do not buy a Rebel...you are comparing apples to oranges however...The Rebel line does not compare well with the D70 and better.

Tell me a bit more about what kind of shooting that you do and what you are planning on doing with your photography. If action/sports/motorsports is what you like to shoot, trust me you will be much happier in the long run with the Canon system. I do a bit of freelancing on the side and consider myself a very serious amateur/light pro...just to give you a frame of reference.

Recently went up to Cumberland Island and did some work for a "coffee table" book I am trying to put together...mostly just monkeying around...Feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll talk cameras till your ears fall off...

imagew2.aspx

imagew2.aspx

EDIT: No idea how to right side up the horse picture...sorry...Here's a neat one of one of my insane dogs in Corpus...
imagew2.aspx

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Not worried about the camera being bulky or needing different lenses.
I've got the original Digital Rebel. And, while I love the quality of the pictures you can get from a digital SLR - the best photos (for keepsake purposes, which really are the best) are ones with you in them.

A digital SLR presents 2 problems in this respect: 1) too big to lug around on anything but a dedicated picture-taking/sightseeing trip, and 2) too complicated to get some dude off the street to take a picture of you that actually takes advantage of the features you're paying for with a digi-SLR.

...and 3) too expensive to risk taking with you during a DRINKEX (and to justify having a 2nd camera that doesn't suffer from the above ailments).

My solution - let the woman take hers; use mine for the "artsy" shots.

helo_wifey

It's also all about the lenses, splurge on those and not on the body and you'll still get great pictures.

I have an 18-200 DX VR Nikkor that I use to shoot in most situations, it covers a wide range pretty well. When we went to India I used that for everything from shooting tigers from a jeep to up close and personal with locals.

Here's a good link that I've used for comparisons on cameras http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

phrogpilot73

PSW uses a Digital Rebel XT (XTi is the newest one), and a PowerShot A560. Having both (point and shoot, SLR) is a good idea. There are times that PSW doesn't feel like lugging the bag with 3 lenses, flash, etc...

flynsail

pilot
Thanks for the replies!

By upgrading the family camera, I intend to use it for taking pics of my kids and them playing sports. Chances are I may even make it a hobby because of how scenic the northwest is. The camera I have now is nice but the picture quality and zoom capability are lacking.

Maybe it seems like a waste to buy an expensive camera and not use it for more, but I would like to have great pictures I can look at later. When going through the older pics of my children, I am disappointed in the quality of the pic.

There is no worries about lugging around the camera and accessories. The current digital camera is for taking on uplanned photo opportunities.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I use a Canon XTi, and it's fantastic. I hear great things about Nikon as well, but Canon's lenses are superior in my opinion. That said, Nikon or Canon, you won't lose if it's an XTi or D80 or D40.

Like helo_wifey said, it's more about the lenses. Get a low-end SLR body and spend more on the lenses. If you're on a budget, I recommend the $80 50 mm f/1.8 "plastic fantastic" lens. It's sharp, light, and convenient.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Well I'm a bit of a photog myself and to be honest it doesn't sound like you really need a dSLR. If you do purchase a dSLR the Canon EOS Rebel is a great entry level camera and while not as feature filled as the Nikon D80 I think it would better suit your needs.

To be quite honest you're only going to get a better quality photo if you really take the time to understand the ends and outs of taking photographs. If you do want to pursue photography as a hobby I suggest the Ansel Adams book The Camera which will teach yo a lot about how cameras work.

Another point to make is if you aren't really a big time photographer you probably will not notice the differences between a high-end point n shoot and a dSLR.

So I suggest you invest in a nice point n shoot. A Nikon Coolpix S51 or S51c takes very nice pictures for it's small size and affordability. I'm pleased with it as a pull out and take some photos.

And that sounds like something you would utilize more often than a dSLR.

On top of that dSLR require cleaning and you need to be careful with the lenses.

As stated above LENSES LENSES LENSES.

I hope this advice has helped steer you in the right direction.

Good Luck.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Point and shoots are great....for what they are intended. They are HORRID at what they aren't.

Trying to use a point and shoot to get decent photographs of your kid playing soccer or football will be an exercize in frustration. It will not perform at an acceptable level at those distances and speeds. They just are not flexible enough.