• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is your altitude???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
I just thought everyone might find this interesting.

This happened to me this past saturday at a local airport. This airport has no tower and uses a unicom Fequnecey and this day was a bit on the busy side.

it all started when i was turning off base onto about a three mile final, just as I am turning onto about a three mile final i see anoother aircraft pull onto the runway,even though he never anounced that he was takeing the active.
i imidately ancounted a go around and moved into tyhe right up wind to avoid his take off. Then my instructor said just aounce you are going cross wint and cross over the end of the runway. at this point we had already climbed to pattern altiude.

Right after i aounced I was tunrning downwind I hear a garbeled transmition. I looked around and did not see anyonther aircraft, so i figured everything was ok. Then i heared this:
Skipper 46N you have cut me off

at this point my instructor and I look at each other and then look around again, nither of us see any aircraft:

skipper 46N who just said we cut you off?

skipper 46N this is tomahawk 37C you entered the pattern wrongly.

Tomahawk 37C this is skipper 46N negitive we announced cross and down wind we, and we were at pattern altiude, we did not hear or see you.

Skipper 46n negitive I can not fly this airport at pattern altiude and land.

Tomahawk 37C negitve pattern altuide for this airport is 1400 you need to fly at 1400.
:
At this point I look at my intrusctor and say where is this guy i dont see him. my instuctor looks at me and says "I think he is under us" almost on que i see a piper tomahawk breaking in a left turn not but 150 feet undeneath me!!!:

Ficher Traffic tomahwak 37C turniong base,skipper 46N i can not fly this airport at pattern altitude and land, i have to fly it at my altiude!

tomahawk 37C this is skipper 46N Negitive this airport pattern altiude is 1400

(Airport unicom)Hey why dont you guys land and fight this out?

THen i kind of muttered to my self "dont temp me" my instuctor just kind of looked at me with a half smile
The tomahawk departed the pattern right after that.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Will wonders never cease...

Along those same lines, during Advanced training in wonderful Southern Texas, I was also flying into a non tower controlled airport in the T44 (King Air 90), made my obligatory approaching calls "xxxx Traffic, Navy King Air, 10 miles to the east, 1500, enter a left base for rwy 18, xxx traffic"... entered the pattern, made my base and final call, do the touch and go, and am now on a left downwind for antoher touch and go. Out of the blue:

"Navy King Air, where are you!?!!"

"Navy King Air is mid downwind for rwy 18 at xxxx"

"Navy King Air, I don't see you, where are you?!?!"

"Navy King Air is turning left base for rwy 18 at xxxx, who and where are you?"

By this point you know the instructor, the other student and I are looking all over the place for a bug smasher...

"Navy King Air, Cessna 431, I still don't see you, I am taxiing to the hold short..."

!#@$(@#$(@#&

Can't recall exactly what the IP said, since he took the comms before I could get a chance, but it was colorful to say the least!

Status
Not open for further replies.