• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is this VSS Rifle? Zissou?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
They are all big on the balclava (sic) over there.....
Yeah ... the term "balaclava" (sic) didn't exactly originate in Texas ... :D ... sounds Commie to me.

ACTUALLY .... it was originally derived from a town (city?) in the Crimea and was first (?) used in the West by the Brits in the Crimean War to protect against the cold ... think 'Charge of the Light Brigade' for your time reference.

The RN wore them early and often when at "action stations"
to lessen the possibility of big-gun flash burns ... their version of General Quarters .... we kinda borrowed from them.

Really, really big w/ the SAS as well as the Commies ... :)

I still think the guy might have just had a bad case of the zits ... just sayin' :D

Mmmm Baclava....

362202248_0adfcd97ba_o.jpg

Hunger, aside, I support the Zit theory, seeing as he's wearing a T-shirt and assuming this is a recent pic, it's summer. His face is plenty warm.

Zissou

Banned
Interesting, I didnt know that A4's.

I started wearing nomex balclava in Iraq after seeing so many guys burnt to crisp from fire. The blast would singe the skin and melt all the nylon to their bodies. And that's before the fuel in the vehicle started doing its thing. UnderArmor ruined alot of guys lives before it got banned.

Probably wouldnt have helped me much but it made me feel better anyway.

The CG of 82nd ABN at Camp Ridgeway didnt like seeing us roll through his gate in nomex balclavas, checkpoints are the most common target of VBIED's. We were told we looked too aggressive.

I'll stop wearing nomex when people stop trying to set me on fire.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
to dovetail with what Zis is saying.....don't wear under armor underneath your flight suit..... if you catch on fire....it will melt on you....

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
to dovetail with what Zis is saying.....don't wear under armor underneath your flight suit..... if you catch on fire....it will melt on you....

I thought we were supposed to freeball in flight suits. No? :confused:

At least that's what I plan on doing in my poopies at OCS. :D

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Mmmm Baclava....

362202248_0adfcd97ba_o.jpg

Hunger, aside, I support the Zit theory, seeing as he's wearing a T-shirt and assuming this is a recent pic, it's summer. His face is plenty warm.

That desert looks almost as delicious as the main course....

chicken-souvlaki.jpg

Zissou

Banned

UnderArmor is Satan's gift to America.

My buddy had the long sleeves on under his DCU's. The sleeves were rolled up to his elbows exposing the UnderArmor. He ran to a burning HMVW to retrieve an MBTR. He didnt even burn his hands on the MBTR, he had gloves on. But the UnderArmor had melted into a hard crunchy plastic shell around his forearms.

Then he almost died from an infection from said wounds.

MasterBates

As someone who has experienced the pain of "getting melted plastic picked out of skin", wear cotton when doing anything involving flame. Unless you can get NOMEX, then wear that.

I had a 80/20 polyester/cotton sweatshirt on and it caught on fire when I was welding on a semi truck. It melted into my chest. 14 years later I still have places hair don't grow and a couple scars from it. And I put it out quickly, with a cotton shirt on under it.

Being a screaming Alpha is not fun. Never want to repeat that again.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Discounting NOMEX, cotton is the only way to go.

Shit-can your designer foo-foo synthetic garb and go to J.C. Penney's and "get some" ...

Check it -- NOMEX outside, cotton inside. Natural stuff.

dsc02000shadesyr5.jpg

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...There is a guy who goes by the name Sonny, he teaches AK shooting classes to civilians in the states. He is an excellent example of your MK1 MOD 0 Spetznaz dude. Intelligent, aggressive, and brutal.

I saw a video of this guy. Did some pretty crazy stuff with his AK. Then did about 50 pushups using his rifle set on the magazine.