• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the role of fixed-wing aircraft in the Coast Guard?

Davfo

I know it may seem like a dumb question, especially for me with all the research and with all I know, but whenever I look in to it, you only ever hear people talking about helos when it comes to aircraft, and whenever fixed wing are mentioned, there is never much detail. We all know what the helos do, how about some info on the missions of the C-130/HC-144. (Some videos would also be nice. Never really see them in action besides the typical taxing/flyby/demo videos)

Also, while we're at it, I haven't heard much about the C-27 bid, nor have I looked in to it for a while. Any info on that?

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I've done that plenty of times. Didn't really get much info besides one article about a search-and-rescue and where the aircraft are stationed a swell as a GENERAL idea of what they do.
It's a niche capability, but Coast Guard C-130s were originally developed almost exclusively as a platform to Skyhook (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system) downed Navy jet aircrew from the W-72/SOCAL opareas. It was less than ideal in a multi-person recovery, as the pilot and WSO/RIO/BN could become entangled or bounce against each other as they flew home, also the skyhook harness was incompatible with early dry suits. I understand they've overcome that with new wingtip skyhook stations (think MIPR pods) as well as dry suits rated for skyhook tow up to 300 kts.

Additionally they've occasionally been used to airdrop RHIBs to downed Rhino aircrew as well. (This saves time and money in a rescue situation, as the aircrew can simply drive themselves home and leave the keys to the RHIB in a dropbox on base a la Hertz.)

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Actually, their primary mission post-9/11 has been to maintain the current magnetic variation on the earth's surface as it currently exists. As you may know, periodically (every 40-200 thousand years) the magnetic poles shift, and we are well over-due for one. The transition period is quite short in geologic terms (less than a thousand years). However, this could create significant problems for navigation systems, our economy, international trade, and the migration of various endangered bird species. To be quite blunt, we really don't know the full extent of how disastrous a polar shift could be on the ecosystem. For this reason, Coast Guard C-130s fly almost round the clock missions with very sophisticated equipment to maintain the status quo of the earth's magnetic field.

Brunes

pilot
Can the garbage responses go away??

I know it may seem like a dumb question, especially for me with all the research and with all I know, but whenever I look in to it, you only ever hear people talking about helos when it comes to aircraft, and whenever fixed wing are mentioned, there is never much detail. We all know what the helos do, how about some info on the missions of the C-130/HC-144. (Some videos would also be nice. Never really see them in action besides the typical taxing/flyby/demo videos)

Also, while we're at it, I haven't heard much about the C-27 bid, nor have I looked in to it for a while. Any info on that?

The 130 is a long range surveillance platform - They help maintain maritime domain awareness and conduct searches over large areas. They are also equipped to air drop survival supplies when rescue may take a long time or equipment to underway units. They also move supplies and deployable teams around the world when needed.

144's do alot of the same stuff. Cargo capacity is smaller, but they have some different sensor options.

Fixed wing assets are wildly helpful for searches and for communications cover when the helos are far off shore and down low..but helos get to do alot of the sexy stuff in the CG

Last I heard the C-27 project was dead in the water. The AF did not want to give them up any more...

sardaddy

pilot
In their defense, it is extremely difficult to talk about Coast Guard fixed wing drivers and the aircraft with a straight face.

Davfo, you don't see much footage of CG fixed wing assets "in action" because who wants to sit and watch a plane fly straight and level from left to right on the screen. They don't do much more than that when they are "in action" barring the rare drops they may make.

The fixed wing community in the CG generally flies around for 8 hours at a time conducting searches or patrols. If it is a rescue case, and they find someone in trouble, they are able to call back to the comm center and say "yep, they are sinking." Then they stand by until a helicopter or a boat shows up to actually do something about it. When they get back, they then complain that they worked much harder than the helo crews and deserve an air medal.

They are also known to go to the local watering holes and brag about how awesome they are for deploying all over the world and stay in nice hotels. That is until the helicopter crews come in and burst their bubbles by explaining that airline pilots do the same thing but they actually do something important like fly passengers or cargo to those destinations.

See Brunes, I think it is impossible to be serious about fixed wing guys even through one post.

Brunes

pilot
In their defense, it is extremely difficult to talk about Coast Guard fixed wing drivers and the aircraft with a straight face.

Davfo, the fixed wing community in the CG generally flies around for 8 hours at a time conducting searches or patrols. If it is a rescue case, and they find someone in trouble, they are able to call back to the comm center and say "yep, they are sinking." Then they stand by until a helicopter or a boat shows up to actually do something about it. When they get back, they then complain that they worked much harder than the helo crews and deserve an air medal.

They are also known to go to the local watering holes and brag about how awesome they are for deploying all over the world and stay in nice hotels. That is until the helicopter crews come in and burst their bubbles by explaining that airline pilots do the same thing but they actually do something important like fly passengers or cargo to those destinations.

See Brunes, I think it is impossible to be serious about fixed wing guys even through one post.
Oh yeah-I had to edit my first post about 18 times to take a couple less jabs at the fixed wing guys. But the only answers being jokes rubbed me the wrong way.

gotta_fly

pilot
For the record I laughed out loud at the obviously sarcastic posts. What would you expect from a question like, "what to CG sar/ logistics platforms do? Certainly not sar or logistics?"

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Brunes

pilot
For the record I laughed out loud at the obviously sarcastic posts. What would you expect from a question like, "what to CG sar/ logistics platforms do? Certainly not sar or logistics?"

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
I laughed too-That doesn't make them helpful.
But because the great and powerful Brett has declared there is no humor in CG aviation - I'll just shut up and color over here in the corner.