• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the flight physical like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WEAPON

What do those doctors do to you during the flight physical? How in depth is it, and what do they do to your eyes?

AdamS

Great question-I would love to know this as well, since to be honest with you guys I have been kinda paranoid of doctors since I was real little. Getting poked and prodded for hours on end seems like a ton of fun :)

Gresh

Gents,
I will let you know exactly what is in a flight physical on the 30th of July. I have mine scheduled the morning of the 30th. Later,
-Gresh

Phiman

Well when I took one in Jax it consisted of:
A bunch of blood work, urine sample, anthros, ekg, chest xray, dental, hearing, eyes with a HM (distance, near, color blind, astigmatism, depth perception), eyes again with an optometrist, and a physical with a flight surgeon. Hope that helps but then again I might have forgotten something.

WEAPON

the eye portion, was it really gruesome? i almost lost an eye when i was seven, and i am a little paranoid about anything around my eyes...

AdamS

I gotta be honest with you guys, this flight physical scares the crap out of me..I still havent even gotten my ball rolling yet, still studying up on the ATSB and working on PT...by the end of August hopefully I will have sent out.

Phiman

Don't sweat the physical, reason is there isn't really a whole lot you can do about it. Either you are qualified or you're not, so there is no real point in worrying yourself about it all. In regards to the eye exams, they are pretty much your run of the mill, standard eye exams that you would get at any optometry check up only they are really strict about the standards in PCola. IE no squinting etc.

AdamS

A few more questions about the phsyical.
Is it all handled with a navy doctor at the navy's expense or are we responsible for doing any part of it on our own?

At this point, unless something comes up, knock on wood!!!!!, I believe I have none of the things that would disqualify me, but the very process scares the nuts off me :)

jwgross

Hey all, I'm a newbie here. Applying for USMC and USN as an aviator. Thought I'd comment about my recent flight physical.

I just took day 1 of the flight physical in Lemoore, and it was nothing to be scared of. I assume you already know the physical standards that are required of the pilots, and really, there's nothing you can or can't do right now. Just go and take the exam, the sooner the better. If you qualify, great! If not, well at least you tried. That's how I see it right now anyway. It's a necessary step, so why not get it over with.

So here's what they did on day one for me: typical piss and blood work, ear test, eye test, chest x-rays, dental check, basic vitals, and EKG. All was really quite painless, except I was a bit woozy after the blood drawing, probably because I hadn't eaten for 14 hours (you have to fast 12 hours, and 72 hours with no alcohol) and I had to get up at 3:30 AM to get there by 7:30. The eye exam is pretty complicated, but by no means scary. Ever been to the eye doctor? That's what it's like, except they also put these drops in your eyes that f--- up your near vision (paralyze the muscle that controls the focus of your eyeball lenses) and dilate your pupils to ridiculous amounts and then make you read stuff at a distance. Thank God the recruiter drove.

Next Wednesday, same bat-time, same bat-channel! I head to Lemoore to interview the flight surgeon. They'll do the turn-and-cough, monkey walk, etc. part of the physical then, and they'll look over the blood work and the charts, and ask questions. Apparently it takes less than 2 hours. Today took a bit longer.

I actually kind of enjoyed the experience today, but that might be partly due to the location. I met a lot of aviators and talked to them, even one guy who had just gotten selected for the Blue Angels.
Hope it helps.

Josh, yet another aviator hopeful

PS yes, it was all free.

Stegall

I did my physical at the Naval Hospital in Bethesda, MD and they didn't put anything in my eyes for the eye test. I guess they just knew I'd rock the ass house! HAHA Right...........

JT1208

Hey if you want to see how your eyes are simply go to the optomitrist (sp) and get a full exam with a slit lamp, and ask if they can find your refractory error. If you have insurance all you have to do is pay the co-pay. I did it just so I would stop worrying about it. Kinda anal, but its a regular exam, they can tell all sorts of stuff about your health by the state of your retina. If the doctor says you have good eyes then there's no reason you shouldn't pass the Navy Exam.

JT

Status
Not open for further replies.