• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is OCS really like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouch

This is the best website I could find on what OCS is really like. There is a bunch of really good gouge here.

http://www.topeuro.co.uk/blagger/the_duel.html

itoh

Regarding the sleeping, I don't believe that there's any sense in "practicing bleeding" I went to Quantico from CA twice and adapted quickly to the approximate 5-5.5 hours of sleep that we averaged a night. The Sgt Instructors and your billet holders will keep you with a high stress level the entire time and your body will adapt quickly. I don't know if Navy OCS is different, but after taps, we always had something to do before really getting sleep, whether it be laundry, squaring away your trash, shining your boots, studying, writing essays, or meeting with your squad. I would say proficience in being able to get that kind of stuff done quickly will get you more shut eye.
As far as what to expect from OCS, I don't think anything's a big secret. Everyone will have different tribulations at OCS, so I would recommend picking the brains of those who have gone through. It' no secret that the SIs will have a sea bag drag the first day (so pack everything in zip-loc bags), humps are tough on your feet (so bring moleskin and anti-chafing shorts), or bring a borken-in pair of the MARPAT boots.
OCS (for Marines anyway) is a screening process and a right of passage. I've heard of many DIs and former SGT instructors going through (and you can bet they know everything coming at them). The best feeling of OCS is definately completion and graduation, but it's mostly from the feeling that you got through with your fellow candidates from your platoon and company. It's what you can bring to the table to lead other candidates, not be the one dragging ass and waiting to see what's going to happen.

Make it happen,
-Itoh

demax182

CEC Officer from Class 15-03
I went through OCS not knowing many of the details and it became a pretty painful experience. I was just trying to ease the pain others might be experiencing. But people have their own opinions and I'll go by the rule that was just set down. However, I don't think I gave too much information. I didn't say anything about what the inspections consisted of, about what the academic tests were going to be over. It's not like I gave out a detailed schedule of all the nitty gritty you have to go through at OCS. amyg, if you really want to know about the Seabag drag than PM me, let me warn you though that it is a "spoiler" if I tell you about it. If you want to find out for yourself than don't send me a PM.

marcb747

four words: " loose lips sink ships"

if you can't help telling someone about your ocs experience...how would you expect the government to trust you with the more important matters?

ops sec...learn it..live it

Alex Fowler

Originally posted by grouch
This is the best website I could find on what OCS is really like. There is a bunch of really good gouge here.

http://www.topeuro.co.uk/blagger/the_duel.html

That is the greatest thing I have ever seen in my life.

itoh

Although I don't believe that sharing tips from OCS is really a threat to national security, but I'll respect your perspective. However, my opinion remains that OCS is a place to prove your ability to lead. If you didn't know proper footcare or didn't know about chafing while your prior enlisted peers are laughing at you, you're at a disadvantage in trying to lead from the front (I know Navy doesn't do the humps, but for the sake of analogy). As far as inspections go, if the prior enlisted know evrything, why should you be at a disadvantage? I wont post anything here, but I would say: pick the brains of those who have gone through. There are no words that would take away from 12 weeks of Sgt Inst. putting you through hell.

AldAE

As "schuckatellit" already summarized, it is about being prepared, it is more about how you learn to react when you are NOT prepared. You go into OCS knowing all the tricks and the first time you don't have "gouge" or a handy website to go to, you fail big.

I don't like unknowns either but those situtaions are where I have learned some of my best tips. Trust me, this is all done for a reason.

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
I guess the only "good" thing about putting some gouge up, especially the "how hard it is" ones, is that it will separate the men from the boys...at least that is my opinion.

As a side note, I am probably older then most of you at 33 and having been a business owner and firefighter for 7 years, believe me when I say that life can get a whole lot harder, more humbling, demoralizing and humiliating then OCS is probably going to be. I share the sentiment that coming prepared can be a helpful thing, but I haven't seen the "gouge" for life neither and no one complains about that. Its my deepest wish to make it to OCS and when I do I look forward to the challenge, knowing that when I succeed I will have overcome and conquered something that not too many people in this world will accomplish, and I feel that if I know too much "inside" information that it will take away from the pride that only OCS graduation can bring. BTW I did speak to a 20 year+ chief about OCS and he said right away, "oh fork and knife school"...ummmmmmm ;-)

av8tor

Know the big four - Code of Conduct, Orders of a Sentry, the other two I can't even remember. It's posted on the Navy's OCS website. Other than that - thirteen classes of pump and dump, make your bed, run a mile and a half, and eat constantly. Oh yeah, and visit Seville's.

demax182

CEC Officer from Class 15-03
Yep av8tor, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. I don't really agree with your "eat constantly" statement. I remember dying of starvation from dinner up to breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.