• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is it like to be an NFO?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Just for the sake of discussion, believe it or not but even COD guys are faced with crew rest issues. We just don't have the number of pilots to be able to do consecutive 10+ flight hour days (yes, they do happen from time to time) without breaking crew rest. When you take into account the flight planning, brief, etc. the day ends up being close to 18 hours in its own right, and then of course the next day starts well before the "8 hour" rest period has expired. Granted, this is rare and I am not trying to compare the experience of others. Just for info.
Actually, I'd have to agree 100%. The VAW crews can ***** with the best, but at least we're looking at ~10 pilots. You guys on the other hand....:(

At least you're walking on pavement more than we are. :)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober,
Quite true... our MO got seasick coming BACK to the boat from Bahrain. Any sea-legs that he once may have had were completely lost in a few months time frame.

bobcat2006

acronyms

Can anyone clarify the acronyms that were used throughout the thread, I got JV and assume that JO is junior officer, aside from that I am miles out of the loop.

Thank you, and for all of the helpful info.

Chubby

There are a bunch, maybe if you narrow it down a bit we can help. Which ones aren't you getting?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
MO is Maintenance Officer. COD is Carrier Onboard delivery. HSL is Helicopter Antisubmarine (Light). VS is...I don't know, but basically Sea Combat Control Squadron (S-3 aircraft). GQ is General Quarters, where the shoes run around w/ funny socks on their heads and act like Darth Vader. ORM is often a big waste of time...I mean Operational Risk Management. TSC is <Something> Support Center? Can't remember, but the people who supposedly provide tactical data for hops (acoustic data, radar data, intel, etc). They were usually pretty worthless in my experience, but they tended to favor the P-3 dudes.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bobcat2006 said:
MO, COD, H-S-L, V-S, GQ, ORM, TSC

waaah :eek:
MO Maintenance Officer

COD Carrier Onboard Delivery. Refers to the aircraft that performs that mission, C-2 Greyhound

HSL Squadron designation. Helicopter Support, Light Fly SH-60Bs off smaller surface ship. Peform a variety of missions from Anti Submarine Warfare to Anti Ship, Logistics, Over the horizon targeting and more.

VS From the WW II squadron designated Scout. Currently, in ever decreasing numbers, the S-3B Viking Squadron. S-3 is going away fast and there is no replacement. VS squadrons will go away, proably forever.

GQ General Quarters. Think Battle Stations

ORM Operation Risk Management. A method or program to identify risk and reduce mishaps.

TSC Tactical Support Center. Space on the ship where key decision makers may be and provide info to tactical war fighters.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TSC = Tactical Support Center

they were tough for us to work with as well. i had no idea you guys even dealt with them

Goober

None
TSC is the "new Navy" name for the old Anti Submarine Warfare Operations Center. When ASW fell out of favor in the early 90's for $$$, a reinvention with the new name showed they weren't just about ASW anymore (yeah, that'll teach 'em!). CV-TSC is the new name for the carrier's ASW Module.

What's actually changed for either? Absolutely nothin'. [Say it again now...] :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
TSC = Tactical Support Center

they were tough for us to work with as well. i had no idea you guys even dealt with them

Oops, did I get TSC wrong? Is that what we used to call the ASWOC or ASW MOD on the ship?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
lol, you got in before me, i was aiming the comment at gatordev, but come to think of it, our TSC in Hawaii had an S-3 on their command logo.

TSC for us is a big locked up building that is very hard to get into where we brief and debrief missions. They have one at every P-3 site worldwide.

Goober

None
North Island's was known as "Sleepy Hollow" by a lot of us. Never had much interaction except to pick up/ drop off tapes until the VP guys invaded. Some "deployment" site...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
lol, you got in before me, i was aiming the comment at gatordev, but come to think of it, our TSC in Hawaii had an S-3 on their command logo.

TSC for us is a big locked up building that is very hard to get into where we brief and debrief missions. They have one at every P-3 site worldwide.

Ya, that would be the old ASWOC. We had one at North Island right next to the RAG. I simply remember it as the location of some of the most boring mission briefs imaginable, and at 0200 for good measure.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:
North Island's was known as "Sleepy Hollow" by a lot of us. Never had much interaction except to pick up/ drop off tapes until the VP guys invaded. Some "deployment" site...

Us cold warriors had a good bit more interaction with them. Still, your discription is right on. Never understood why the place would be so dark and quiet when we had to brief in the middle of the night. A few lights, hot coffee and some up beat music would have been nice. Quess they didn't want to wake the watch standers.;)