• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is going on with OCS dates being moved to right?

egolnick

My NRD got a letter stating that every class after last weeks (26 April) has been pushed back until at least 5 July. My original date was 15 June. I can only guess this is what they do at the end of the financial year? When do you think we will find out a definite date for our class? All they told me was we will know as the date gets closer. Problem is I had everything planned to go for 15 June, hence I now do not have a place to live. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
If they're already running out of money for FY-09, it's gonna be a long few months until October rolls around.....

egolnick

Is there any way I can find out whether or not it will be that long. October is a heck of a long ways away. I just need to figure out some logistics. They sure as heck didn't say it was going to be that long, they said sometime around July.

Bevo16

pilot
There is a lot of scrambling going on right now, and it is being done to prevent a RIF. OCS is the fastest way to turn off the switch and save money. OPNAV has a hiring freeze on all civilian positions, and I am pretty sure that BUPERS does as well.

CNRC is putting out the word that recruits who are in delayed entry and are holding contracts with enlistment bonuses...that the bonuses are canceled. They can get out of their contract, because there are plenty of people waiting to take their place with no bonus. They can still come in, but standard contracts with no extra money.

Even reserve units are cutting back. We have a bunch of FedEx pilots in my units reserve section, and they have been coming in to do extra drills to fill the gaps in their FedEx checks...now all of the local reserve dollars are used up and there is no money for extra drill.

Our manpower budget requirements are going up on average of 5% this year, and we are looking at a 1% budget increase. That money is going to have to be made up somewhere.

Bevo16

pilot
I wouldn't say that. It looks like they are delaying the class by about 2 1/2 months. Your delay is going to be at least that long, but they unless they start canceling contracts that is not going to happen. We are not going to stop making officers for a long period of time, but OCS is the easy on/off switch. They turned it off for a while. You are still in line, and things are going to start moving again. This is a temporary issues that is being worked through.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
There is a lot of scrambling going on right now, and it is being done to prevent a RIF. OCS is the fastest way to turn off the switch and save money. OPNAV has a hiring freeze on all civilian positions, and I am pretty sure that BUPERS does as well.

CNRC is putting out the word that recruits who are in delayed entry and are holding contracts with enlistment bonuses...that the bonuses are canceled. They can get out of their contract, because there are plenty of people waiting to take their place with no bonus. They can still come in, but standard contracts with no extra money.

Even reserve units are cutting back. We have a bunch of FedEx pilots in my units reserve section, and they have been coming in to do extra drills to fill the gaps in their FedEx checks...now all of the local reserve dollars are used up and there is no money for extra drill.

Our manpower budget requirements are going up on average of 5% this year, and we are looking at a 1% budget increase. That money is going to have to be made up somewhere.

In other words, for people such as myself waiting for future boards, if X amount of slots are available/needed for FY10, those spots are still available but at the moment everything is delayed? Is it common for the number of slots to change during the FY?

Bevo16

pilot
I honestly don't know if they adjust the #'s of slots available. I know that the numbers of officers in each community is evaluated on a monthly basis. I contribute one small portion of that report, but I get to see the whole thing. It's pretty interesting, but mostly just raw data.

There would have to be a MASSIVE shift in how we do business in order to change what our officer requirements are. The reason is that sea/shore rotations are set, and people either promote or they get out. I guess that we could give LT's the option to stay as fleet LT's instead of getting forced out if passed over. That could cut the need for producing new aviators. I don't hear anything like that being talked about though. The problems are not that deep right now.

swerdna

None
Contributor
So in other words I am up the creek without a paddle.

I've heard about the pushback on OCS classes. I'm going in tomorrow to sign the contracts and will hopefully have a date (it was supposed to be 21JUN).

Have you considered applying for the USAA Career Starter Loan? There are several threads here about it.

I'm in a similar situation as you; my GI Bill runs out in June and I don't have a job. If my OCS date gets pushed back, I am seriously going to have to apply for McDonalds, and maybe take a second job as well (KFC?). Fast food is pretty much all that's hiring around here.

CaliStyle

I recently submitted my resignation to be released from active duty in May 2010, the date of my EAOS/MSR. What is the possibility I will be RIF'ed before my MSR? If that were to happen, does the Navy normally give decent prior notice in order to help the transition period?

Bevo16

pilot
I recently submitted my resignation to be released from active duty in May 2010, the date of my EAOS/MSR. What is the possibility I will be RIF'ed before my MSR?

I would guess 0%. All of the moves being made are to avoid a RIF.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I am a bit confused. My date is 26 July. Does this mean I will be pushed back also or that our class will be twice as big?

It really does not bother me that much, I am BDCP, so I'll just go ahead and keep collecting the paychecks while I do nothing except workout after graduation. I would just like to get OCS over and done with....

jhawley

Are you talking about BDCP candidates with enlistment salary? I am literally paying for college with that money so I would hope they arent going away with that

Pardon my ignorance....

RIF?

This is a bummer. May 10 was my date. Am I right to assume that since I was in one of the first classes to get rolled back I will be in one of the first classes when they start again? It sounds logical but I know nothing about this stuff.