• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is a low level turn up

Phantom309

Please forgive my newbness here. I had a reader of my blog send me an e-mail yesterday. She is trying clarify what a friend of hers did in the Marines in the 1980's on the F-4 and one of the things he was able to do was a low power turn up. What is that?

Is that a qualification for engine run?

And also would this be a enlisted or commissioned function?

Thanks so much for any help, and if this is in the wrong area feel free to move it.

phrogpilot73

Don't know the specifics, because I was never turn qualed, but a low power turn up was an engine test done at the O (organizational) level. A high power turn up was usually done at the I (intermediate) level. These tests were done by maintainers, so enlisted guys. Usually CDIs were the ones that had turn quals. Things obviously may have changed in the 15 years since I was enlisted, but that's what I'd guess.

Renegade One

None
Is that a qualification for engine run? And also would this be a enlisted or commissioned function?
Pretty much what Phrog said. A "Low Power Turn" is an engine start and run…probably different for different communities, but obviously any pilot is "qualed" to do an engine turn, but so are many enlisted Maintainers…usually guys from the Powerplants shop. Crank 'er up, let 'er run…check pressures, throttle linkages, fuel lines, and whatever else is significant…shut 'er down.

High-power turns…"military power" or above...at least in the fixed-wing, afterburner-capable communities, could only be done in very specific locations and under very tightly monitored circumstances (hush-house environment, tie-down chains, yadda yadda yadda). Literally tons of thrust is nothing to monkey with. I'm sure other communities have/had similar restrictions for any engine runs much beyond idle or low-end power settings.

MasterBates

My exact number may be off, but we had the following:

Low Power Turn- Engine Start to to and through about 1500 SHP. Pilot or qualified AD
Hi Power- 1500+ SHP. Location requirements (not in the line ashore, no folded wings, etc) and a separate E qual or a pilot.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
For Hornets, basically what R1 already said. There is a low power turn qual, as well as a high power turn qual. I have turned jets on occasion, but generally the maintainers go ahead and run the mx turns, hence where the lo/hi power quals come in.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
BTW- For helicopters (USN/USMC helicopters anyway), getting a non-pilot qualified to start engines is a little more complicated- the idea behind this is that if the rotors start turning then there is the distinct possibility of very suddenly becoming airborne!

APU turn qualified is, I believe, a fairly common qual across all communities.

I think it's a really cool part of the job and a pretty big thrill for a ground pounder to get to start the engine in any aircraft... I gotta admit- it's still a big thrill for me too :)

Phantom309

Thanks so much to everyone for the input. I kind of figured it was what the air force calls run qualified. A squadron in the air force takes x amount of maintainers gets them run qualified and then takes x amount of those and gets them AB qualified. Sounds like the standards are pretty much the same in order to bang the burner it has to be in the hush house or on the trim pad tied down.

Jim the Helicopters makes perfect sense in making it a little bit more complicated.

Redux

Part of the curriculum for Flight Engineer was both high and low power turn and taxi qualed on C-131's and C-118's. Plane Captain would usually direct and we needed an observer in the RH seat. High power was at a remote section because of obvious reasons. FE's were usually AD's, AM's, AE's and rare occasions a AT. E-5 and above being the norm.

For you E-2 guys ask "Mo" where he got his start.

Yeah I'm old but A-4's is older. :)

Malo83

Keep the Faith
As an AD1 I was Low/High power qualed on E2's in VAW116 and 110, low power turns were a daily ritual be it for the Metalsmiths,Electricians or Trons. High power turns were a thrill :D

OscarMyers

None
F/A-18 low power turn qual ( below 80%) was available to all rates. High power was restricted to Mechs and had to be done at the hush house when at the beach.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I think it's a really cool part of the job and a pretty big thrill for a ground pounder to get to start the engine in any aircraft... I gotta admit- it's still a big thrill for me too :)

This. I love seeing the guys (and gals) get their turn quals. Starting a jet for the first time is enough to give you a stiffy.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
This. I love seeing the guys (and gals) get their turn quals. Starting a jet for the first time is enough to give you a stiffy.

I will always remember the feeling the first time a t-34's props started turning in front of me. Definitely high on the fun meter.

phrogpilot73

Right? And that sound. The whine with the ticking of the ignition...boner.
I'm surprised you guys remember that. I still don't (and I've been racking my brain to think if I could). The only "feeling" that I remember from flight school is how it felt on departure from north field, for some reason not really "thinking" about the fact that my backseat was empty for the first time. Then noticing in the mirrors (as I started my clearing turns) that yes, it was, and HOLY SHIT - I was soloing! You want to talk about a boner inducing moment...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
"Is that your pocket checklist in your pocket or are you just happy to be here?"