• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What if pay day falls on a Monday?

BUDU

Pensacola commissary turned me off to the idea of even trying to go to another. Crowded, slow, and the worst produce I've ever seen in a store. Besides, I live a half mile from Harris Teeter now.

IIRC, the Newport commissary was closed Mondays too.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
VA Beach Whole Foods is open 7 days a week.........that's all I care about

BAS in VA Beach must be hefty if you are shopping at that place more than once a week. Every time I shopped there, I would end up coming to in the parking lot with $100+ of items from the deli in my arms thinking "Whoa, what the hell just happened?"

Now, that being said, I cannot wait to get to back to a city that has a Whole Foods.
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
BAS in VA Beach must be hefty if you are shopping at that place more than once a week. Every time I shopped there, I would end up coming to in the parking lot with $100+ of items from the deli in my arms thinking "Whoa, what the hell just happened?

Seriously.

Flt doc challenged me to eat his all natural, no preservative, organic, non-GMO, blah, blah, blah, diet for 2 weeks. That meant shopping at Whole Food$, and a 300% increase in grocery bills.

At the end of the experiment, I concluded that I'd rather eat the preserved Soylent Green from the Commissary and use the cost savings for Hookers and Blow. I may only live to be 50, but I'll get a hell of a lot more living in those years I do have.;)

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Stuttgart is open on Mondays, and the last announcement from the Garrison was that we would not be affected by the closure. It was my understanding that OCONUS was exempt from this. Perhaps not coincidentally, OCONUS is the only place I've ever shopped at the commissary, and even in Japan and Germany, much of our produce (and a few other items) comes from the local stores where the seem to actually be able to sell lettuce that isn't already wilted (and milk that isn't already spoiled!).

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I enjoy walking the commissary aisles and gently tasing the power chair crowd. You know, the 300 lb. cripples who can suddenly leap out of the hover-round when they're fighting for the last bag of pork rinds.

It's the little things.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
When I was growing up, commissaries I went to with my parents were closed mondays, as was Whidbey and some others I frequent since I've been in. I find that now, it's rare that I wait in line more than 5 or so deep, exception being the odd times where payday falls on a friday of a 3 day holiday weekend with a superstorm forecast for the next day. As a kid, when the cashiers still had to find the price tag and type in the amount of every item, I remember 20 or 30 folks in line. I still am in the habit of grouping items on the conveyor belt like my mom taught me to make it easier (and quicker) for the cashier to type in all the prices for the same items, although making sure the price tag is on top is not required anymore.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I found out the hard way that the Fort Ord commissary is closed on Mondays as part of their normal schedule.

Any grocery store in a large military community is a bit wacky on/around paydays. I remember insanely long lines at Ralph's down in SD caused by all the people trying to avoid the commissary! lol

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still am in the habit of grouping items on the conveyor belt like my mom taught me to make it easier (and quicker) for the cashier to type in all the prices for the same items, although making sure the price tag is on top is not required anymore.

They are still inefficient: They scan evey item even though the following 19 cans of exactly the same soup are the same price.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Supermarkets no longer allow cashiers to do that. When I worked at stop and shop the reason was that different flavors of the same item (eg chicken noodle progresso soup vs minestrone) are inventoried separately and cashiers were screwing it up too much. Then you'd have customers who would ninja two different brands of cat food or something that looked similar and it would get missed. Also, sometimes there were mix and match sales that got screwed up and caused everyone to wait while managers figured out why and voided transactions.

I stopped using the commissary after Charleston because it was almost never open when I was off (what supermaket closes at 1700?), on weekends they were always out of half their inventory until they restocked on Monday, it was a longer drive to get there from my apt, and spoiling produce and lack of seafood meant I had to make a second trip even if I could get there when they still had chicken or meat in stock. So not worth it, at least not in CONUS.

Also, I can't stand when baggers put two items in a bag and triple bag it like I'm that old lady who walks home with her groceries. More trips to and from the car and more garbage.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
My biggeset frustration with baggers at the commissary in particular and other stores in general comes with the items they will bag together. Whenever I unload my cart I categorize it, frozen foods grouped together, refrigerated together, raw meats together, etc etc etc. Inevitably I get home and start unloading to find my lettuce bagged with my raw chicken and my canned goods with my ice cream. I don't get it. I really don't get it.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Again, we were trained to mix-and-match items to balance out the weight of the bags to theoretically save on material cost. Additionally, just because you pile everything up on the conveyer a certain way doesn't mean it gets to the bagger that way. Sorting items takes time and when the line is 2-3 deep with pissed off customers waiting to spend $300-500 on groceries, time is of the essence.

And if the bagger is a kid who never did grocery shopping or someone who doesn't care as much as you about it, s/he probably doesn't understand the big deal -- it's all going to the kitchen anyway.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
My biggeset frustration with baggers at the commissary in particular and other stores in general comes with the items they will bag together. Whenever I unload my cart I categorize it, frozen foods grouped together, refrigerated together, raw meats together, etc etc etc. Inevitably I get home and start unloading to find my lettuce bagged with my raw chicken and my canned goods with my ice cream. I don't get it. I really don't get it.

Does it really matter?