• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens to an OCS drop out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre170

None
Now that OCS has moved, are pilots and FOs waiting until API before they go to NAMI? Back in P'Cola, OCS candidates went to NAMI on the second day of OCS, the aviation guys and spec ops guys had their full NAMI physicals while the SWOs just turned their head and coughed.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
As far as I know, we do it twice now. Flight physical in Newport, the run the gauntlet at NAMI before classing up in API.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Now that OCS has moved, are pilots and FOs waiting until API before they go to NAMI? Back in P'Cola, OCS candidates went to NAMI on the second day of OCS, the aviation guys and spec ops guys had their full NAMI physicals while the SWOs just turned their head and coughed.
aviation candidates get a full flight physical in newport and a letter in their medical files saying they're fit for flight. spec ops guys get a similar workup and sub guys get something special as well but i never did figure it out. everyone else just gets a "hey he's alive so passes" kind of physical.

then once the aviation people get to pensacola your scheduled to go to NAMI for another flight physical ... however, as long as you didn't take forever to get out of OCS then if you are an SNFO you'll automatically get your upchit and if your a SNA you'll get your upchit after a simple (or expanded if you don't have 20/20) eye exam with a coreman. this is unless you have something interesting in your medical paperwork, then you'll get held up. there have been people that went through OCS and got through that physical only to be NPQ'd down here.

did kind of suck that we had starved ourselves for 12 hours and didn't piss for damn near as long and didn't even have any blood drawn or a piss test but it felt damn good to have that upchit in hand.

asa66

10 usc

U.S. military officers are literally Officers of the United States under Title 10 of the United States Code (laws). You cannot be involuntarily reduced to an enlisted grade. In rare cases officers with no job available have voluntarily taken separation and then enlistment in order to finish 20 years in the reserves and thus be eligible for retirement. You retire at the highest grade you held for at least 36 months.

Alright, alright, Jeebus Christ, it was a simple question.

Attrite during OCS, assuming you came straight from Civvieland and the Navy hasn't paid for your schooling: back to Civvieland you go. Thanks for playing, enjoy your new haircut.

Once you're comissioned, you can't be "made" enlisted, no matter what happens to you. Doesn't work like that. Either you'll do some other officer job in the Navy or you'll be sent home.

Attrite from the flight program, pre-wings: if you're comissioned through OCS, and if the Navy hasn't paid for your schooling and you weren't prior enlisted, right now policy is to seperate you, i.e., back to Civvieland. Otherwise, you'll be re-designated to a non-aviation job (SWO, Intel, so on).

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What if you are convicted at court-martial and sent to Leavenworth or something? I thought most prisoners in that case were made E-1 regardless.

Deepsea 31

Life comes at you fast
None
If you drop out of OCS, they grind you up and turn you into Soylent Green. Then you know what happens? Somebody eats you..........

Deepsea Three One out. (love that single malt scotch)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
What if you are convicted at court-martial and sent to Leavenworth or something? I thought most prisoners in that case were made E-1 regardless.
I think they remain officers. I know for sure there are officer prisoners in Leavenworth. But they don't get any privledges of rank.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I think they remain officers. I know for sure there are officer prisoners in Leavenworth. But they don't get any privledges of rank.

I once got a tour of the Disciplinary Barracks at Leavenworth (scared me straight forever....), and they do indeed have officer prisoners. IIRC, they are not reduced in rank, but as HAL said have no privledges of rank. Once their sentences are completed, they are usually dismissed from the Service with loss of all pay and benefits.

Life Lesson: I was told that a large fraction of the officers were in for falsifying travel claims, so don't put your entire career at risk for the hope of scoring a few extra dollars.

Two useless factoids:

-They had a nice gift shop!

-The Disciplinary Barracks is not the same prison as the Leavenworth Federal Pen, which is a couple of miles away.

redbeard1682

So I can't find any answers for this question but I have been told many things. My dad was freaking out about what happens to me if I decide to drop out of OCS if something goes wrong. First of all, I tell him that if I'm going to go to OCS I am going to complete it (unless there is an injury). He is worried that I will become enlisted if I drop out of OCS. Is this true or do you just get removed from the Navy altogether?

Unless your contract states that you will go enlisted afterwards - which I have never ever heard of - you will go home back to the civilian world...eventually. I would say 3-4 months from the moment you start to spell Dorito's.

::edit:: I take that back...I did hear of a few that had enlisted service requirements upon DOR/Attrite - but that is because they owed the Navy money for college.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Unless your contract states that you will go enlisted afterwards - which I have never ever heard of - you will go home back to the civilian world...eventually. I would say 3-4 months from the moment you start to spell Dorito's.

::edit:: I take that back...I did hear of a few that had enlisted service requirements upon DOR/Attrite - but that is because they owed the Navy money for college.

NOT for college. The only college that the Navy pays for is ROTC (and STA-21) or the Academy.

redbeard1682

There was a guy in 13-08 that had done some different program that the Navy paid for his tuition, and he was required to do some service. Can't remember what the program was, but that's what he told us.

Status
Not open for further replies.