• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens after advanced jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamacat

HELLO TO EVERYONE!

All right, I'll admit it up front. I am a mama - a worried mama.

My son is a marine in intermediate jets. What happens after advanced jets? Do they get some nice safe stateside job, or do they go fight the infidels?

When they are in combat, how often are their jets shot down? Is this a common occurance, or is it fairly rare?

When their jets are shot down, what is the survival rate?

How often do accidents occur?

See, gentlemen: You could save your mamas a lot of grief if you would just go to law school.

mamacat

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
At the end of advanced jets, you get your wings, then you're off to the FRS where you learn how to fly and fight your new aircraft (Hornets or Harriers for the Marines). That can last anywhere from 8-12 months of stateside duty. After that, off to the fleet. Depending on what unit you get assigned, you might be stateside for some time or you might head right off overseas.

We haven't lost a jet to enemy fire in a very long time. If it does happen, its more than likely a fluke than because of enemy skill. And if you get hit by the golden bb, we got some of the best ejection seats in the world. Then, just a short matter of time later, you'll get picked up by the good guys.

Accidents on the other hand do happen and its an unfortunate part of what we do. Most of the time, the aircrew survives, but sometimes, they don't.

It's a dangerous profession, but through our more than extensive training, we minimize the risks so that we come back the next day.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup, what Punk said. The training US pilots receive is the best in the world and there is a huge emphasis on staying alive. Your son will receive much training on how to protect himself and stay safe. If he were to be shot down (unlikely, but possible), the US has a long history of doing everything they can to rescue its downed aviators. Leaving someone in bad guy territory is something Search and Rescue guys detest and will die trying to get that one person.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
The most dangerous part of our job is the drive to work...

Or something like that. I certainly feel safer with a pilot who's trying to kill me than driving on the interstate with some of these idiots Florida gives a lisence to ;)

BeanFighter

pilot
Mamacat,
I could blow some smoke up your skirt to make you feel better but, sorry that's not my job. My job is to train your boy how to fly, and how to use his jet according to our national policy. He is getting the best flight training available in the world and I promise you, I take a personal interest in the success of every one of my studs. I want him (or her) to have a safe flight career. But, to be honest, he is involved in a profession that will not only give him the greatest satisfaction on earth, but is extremely unforgiving. I am sorry to say that many a great Marine pilot has given his life for our country. Most of these losses have been due to pilot error during training flights. Therefore your son has most of the control over his safety. There are circumstances beyond the pilots control that can and will continue to bite us but, we can't dwell constantly on the "what if's". We need to concentrate on the here and now and the mission at hand. So what does this mean to you? Do the same. Live for now, revel in the incredible life your son is experiencing now. Give him your support and optimism. Don't get caught up in the what ifs. You will only miss out on how cool your son’s commitment to our country is. It's way better than being a lawer.
Keep the faith!

Status
Not open for further replies.