• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What % goes to multi-engine?

Robert Allen

I've fixed them, now I fly them!
After completing jet training, how many of a class goes to the E2/C2 pipeline? Do those who go that route choose it or did they not perform well enough to continue in jet pipeline?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Hey man, the "What %" questions are generally frowned upon in this venue as they got repetitive and things change so rapidly there is no way to answer them.

I would wager that the accurate answer is that some portion of every class go to the different pipelines, based on the needs of the military at that particular time. Of those, some probably get what they want, and some probably don't.

Robert Allen

I've fixed them, now I fly them!
After posting this trend I thought maybe I shouldnt have posted, even though I was more intrested in if they wanted multi-engine or forced it still is basically a % question.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey man, the "What %" questions are generally frowned upon in this venue as they got repetitive and things change so rapidly there is no way to answer them
Smooooth!:)
I would wager that the accurate answer is that some portion of every class go to the different pipelines, based on the needs of the military at that particular time. Of those, some probably get what they want, and some probably don't.
And I would wager that HueyCobra8151 would make extremely successful Hostage Negotiator!... ;)
BzB

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
In my experience the vast majority of people who were selected to the E-2/C-2 Pipeline did not volunteer for it. The way that those who get selected are chosen is a complete crap-shoot and it seems every squadron has their own process. I would say that about 1 in 5 got selected to that pipeline while I was in Intermediate/Advanced (fairly recently) which amounted to roughly 1 per class. My philosophy is work your ass off and be a good guy and you'll maximize the chances of getting what you want. It's worked so far.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
After completing jet training, how many of a class goes to the E2/C2 pipeline? Do those who go that route choose it or did they not perform well enough to continue in jet pipeline?
For a purely mathematical response:

0% of people who get selected are complete with jet training
0% of people perform below standards
0% of people think that being a tailhook aviator, no matter the platform, is a consolation prize.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Since you were original in your wording of the "what percent get jets" question, I will bite, and agree with others. Keep in mind that as far as I know, they are doing away with "tailhook" so this probably will be inaccurate somewhat soon. But when I went through, it was a few parts luck, and a lot of parts performance. You selected E2C2 after completion of phase 1/intermediate jets......so basically right before doing anything cool in the jet, if you consider anything in T-45's cool. If they needed a guy/gal, they normally picked the bottom person in that class. If not, everyone continued on to advanced. There were sometimes classes where a bunch of people got it, but more often than not, it was like one person if any at all. In my timeframe, it seemed like Kingsville got hit a lot harder than we did in Meridian, but that could have just been perception. I think I remember a story of like an entire T-45 class in Krock that got pulled for E2C2, but that was probably inaccurate. I remember reading an article 2-3 years ago in one of the big aviation magazines with a quote from a former skipper of mine from flight school, where he said something to the effect of "it is a strange dichotomy that we send the guys who are struggling the most to the airplane that is hardest to land on the ship". I think that might be the essence of why they are changing the system back to what it used to be, rather than "tail hook".

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Last I heard, one in four or one in five get sent E2/C2. Timing depends on how poorly run your OPS department is and how much your CO tries to be a nice guy. It should be around 1 Stud a month (last I heard each squadron got 12 slots a year they have to fill- that can change at any time) but if they're hesitant to send a dude at a regular interval they end up being forced to send entire classes because they back themselves into a deadline production wise.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Last I heard, one in four or one in five get sent E2/C2. Timing depends on how poorly run your OPS department is and how much your CO tries to be a nice guy. It should be around 1 Stud a month (last I heard each squadron got 12 slots a year they have to fill- that can change at any time) but if they're hesitant to send a dude at a regular interval they end up being forced to send entire classes because they back themselves into a deadline production wise.

I think the 1/month averaged out to be true while I was there, but I don't think that broke down to 1 in 4 in practical terms. It seemed like they kind of identified people and then waited for them to finish phase 1.......so you might get 2-3 at a time but nothing for a few weeks otherwise. Obviously I never saw the ops/training side of the machine, as I was just but a stud, but not every class had someone get it. Then again, overall VT numbers may be less now, I have no idea really, but that would make it probably more common. We had only one in my class, who went on to boat DQ out of -120 x3 and is now part way through JO tour in P-3's.

shutout39

pilot
I have friends in Kingville and Meridian who told me that they have enough volunteers to fill most spots for E2/C2 these days. For the times there is no volunteer, the selection is not so much based on performance as it is what kind of a guy you are.