• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What exactly does the Navy offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Man

I'm 17 and applying for a NROTC scholarship and I am looking at multiple colleges including Norwich University, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Virginia Military Institute, RPI, and University of Rochester. The NROTC guy for my area sent me a letter stating that during my NROTC interview with another Naval Officer I should know what else the Navy offers. I know the Navy is an awesome branch of the military (and so are the others but it is sort of a family tradition) so I was wondering if some of you guys, since you've been through a hell of a lot more than me, could give me a little advice, encouragement or helpful information about what the Navy offers (besides the full NROTC scholarship). Thanks.
P.S. feel free to IM or email me, my interview is soon so i'm getting kinda nervous!

I've gone through very little more than you but I'll try to help.

Just things that a lot of other fourth class i noe have on the "wish they told us list."

For one thing, you're guaranteed/forced(depends on how you look at this) an assignment into a "frontline" service. I don't think this is really well advertised but it's true. This is SWO, aviation, SEALs, and subs. Not sure if Marines will let new 2nd Lts from ROTC go into non-frontline service, but a Marine should know about that.

NROTC is a LOT more hardcore from what I've seen. Drill and PT where I'm at is a real b#### for my classmates who don't like it. This obviously differs from school to school, but here, the Air Force has a drill "lab" once a week, Army same thing but they do go humping in the boonies every few weeks or so. Us Navy guys have to deal with ungodly hour drill 3X a week and ungodly hour PT 3X a week if you can't pass your PRT when you get in. That hurts your grades.

In other words, I believe you'll be doing much harder "stuff" than the other services, AND you will be out there doing frontline work when you graduate, unlike the Air Force or Army ROTC people. Good luck with the interview, and if wink is around I'm sure he'll give you a few pointers as a former recruiter.

Ice Man

Thanks for the advice. It might just be me but thats kinda cool how the Navy gets you right out there. Oh what is "SWO"? I heard you need a really good interview to get the scholarship and you should stand out from the other candidates. Do you know anything I could do or say to "stand out" Should I wear a suit or what to the interview? What exactly do they ask you during the interview? I keep on getting more and more nervous as I get closer to my interview.

As far as I know, a suit can't hurt, but it might not mean anything.
If you want to know NROTC proper civilian attire standards, that would be collared shirt(button down or polo is best), "nice" pants, like chinos or khakis, and a belt. Shoes, not sandals or sneakers. As long as you meet these they should be happy. In my opinion, this'll make you look less like an...oddball, but keep neat and presentable. Haircuts are good, no need to shave it all off but make it fairly short. Crew cut. Shave. Don't chew gum.
Don't freak out or stutter, get some practice speaking to people you've never met before if you can. This is realy basic interview skills, same thing as if you're applying for a job, you know?
Call them sir or ma'am, but there's no need to overdo it like I did, I think, but that also can't hurt.

As for questions, I can almost guarantee you'll hear things like, why are you interested in ROTC, why you want to serve your country, why the Navy over other services, that kinda thing. And a few questions of your own for the interviewing officer couldn't hurt. I'm sure these are all things you have answers to, but you just don't want to sit there forever prying them out of your mind during the interview so have em ready.
Good luck, just don't freak out, they're human beings. Be cool, don't talk like Mr. Roboto, have a little humor, etc.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
not gonna say veg is wrong, but don't go cut your hair. I went to mine with longer hair, not anywhere near a crew cut. They are looking more for your personality traits. How you are able to answer questions and so forht, so don't go shave your head. Just comb your hair and look nice.

Alex Fowler

Wear a tie to your interview. Doesn't need to be a suit, but khakis, button-down shirt, nice shoes, jacket and tie.

As for your hair, you don't need to get it buzzed or anything but then again it shouldn't be really long (more than a few inches).

Ice Man

Hey guys thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. About the hair though its been a little too late for that for about 3 years now. I always have kept my hair pretty short, usually a high and tight. So the short hair is my personality trait. Its easy to maintain and cuts down on the shampoo usage. Well thanks again I've got my interview tomorrow I'll try to let you know how it went.

Ice Man

I just got out of my interview. He said he thought I was a good candidate so i'm psyched. I really appreciate all of your help. This site is freekin awesome. I didn't really need the questions too much but i'm glad i thought about it, it helped me realize exactly what i'm doing. For anyone else who has the same question, relax, its not that big of a deal, just be your self. One thing though, have questions to ask your interviewer. Try and relate to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.