• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What equipment is the marine rifleman assigned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franny

Originally posted by jdfairman
Naww... its just fact. Was out w/ my old reserve unit at Ft. Wolters (Its the nearest facility with a 500 yd range) for rifle qual. Also there were the ROTC kids from one of the nearby colleges. They just couldn't believe or understand how those Marines were digging the black from 500 yards away with steel sights.
Now that's interesting because last year at the national shooting championships, the Army beat the Marine Corps. I was embarassed to hear that... but the fact remains.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, that's a shooting championship with tuned and pampered shooters, right? I do wonder, between the two services, and taking an average rifleman, who would win. I guess we should limit that to those who came in the service with no prior shooting experience.

kimphil

Originally posted by Fly Navy
Well, that's a shooting championship with tuned and pampered shooters, right? I do wonder, between the two services, and taking an average rifleman, who would win. I guess we should limit that to those who came in the service with no prior shooting experience.

To qualify in the Army you shoot to 300 meters. To qualify in the Marine Corps you shoot to 500 meters. Your typical Marine rifleman (in fact any Marine) is going to be more accurate than a typical army infantryman.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Big roger to that. Interesting the differences. In reality, the M-16 reaches its max effectiveness at around 200-300 meters, in terms of ballistics, etc. Nice to be able to shoot at 500m or beyond though :)

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Yeah... sorry to say they won the quantico interservice match while I was up there as well. I wasn't really taking the shooting teams into account. Thats a whole other animal.
On another topic, any of y'all check out the latest Marine Corps times? There's talk about getting rid of the M9. Seems our little friend from Berretta had problems in Iraq. One of the options is replacing it w/ a small submachine gun.

kimphil

Talk about cool guns. I think you're talking about the P-90. Has a 50 round clip and shoots a 5.7mm round with an effective range of 200 meters. However, I thought they were only thinking about issuing it to helicopter crews?

dvl_dog_2531

What is the point of a hand-held sub? What is the point of expending a lot of inaccurate small caliber ammuntion?

I agree there is a problem with the M9 and the 9mm round. There is a reason that Force Recon uses the MEU (SOC) .45 9mm doesn't have the knock down power needed for an effective CQB weapon.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
I think if I were aircrew, I'd still prefer an m16. I know there wouldn't be room in a jet cockpit and probably not a Cobra either. But anything else, given the option, I'll always take a rifle. Of course, I'll admit to being biased because I grew up with rifles.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MAGAZINE MAGAZINE MAGAZINE!!! NOT CLIP! STOP LEARNING FROM MOVIES!!

Sorry, now that I'm done with that... :)

The only problem with 9mm in the battlefield is that we are forced to use FMJ. There is no such thing as knockdown power. It's a farse. The reason they have the MEUSOC is that the MP5 gunners need a backup in case their 9mm submachine doesn't want to work. This comes from a Force Recon Major. But not much worth complaining, before 9mm, pilots carried .38's. 9mm is better.

kimphil

Originally posted by dvl_dog_2531
What is the point of a hand-held sub? What is the point of expending a lot of inaccurate small caliber ammuntion?

I agree there is a problem with the M9 and the 9mm round. There is a reason that Force Recon uses the MEU (SOC) .45 9mm doesn't have the knock down power needed for an effective CQB weapon.

Clips! Clips! Clips! Ha ha, feels like I said a dirty word!
bigmouth_125.gif
I think the advantage of the P-90 is that its more accurate and has greater stopping power than the M9.

Also, the P-90 wouldn't replace the M-16 in any case. As big and powerful as it is, its still classified as a handgun and would only replace the M9 (must go in a big ass holster).

http://www.fnmfg.com/products/p90/p90.htm

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stopping power doesn't exist :) However, the nasty little 5.7mm round the P90 shoots isn't necessarily a "stopper", it's more suited to armor piercing jobs. Basically, without any fragmentation effect, you got yourself a high speed ice-pick, kind of like the 5.56x45mm ammo beyond 300m or so.

kawika109

What are the minimum physical requirements for a marine to complete basic training (in terms of pushups, situps, running, pullups, ect.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.