• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you think is the best Navy automobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psrogers

Intel Officer
It seems to me that automobile ownership is a must for a Navy Officer. Having a vehicle is really useful for general transportation, moving from base to base, and for a whole variety of reasons. Furthermore we get paid pretty well as officers so we can all pretty much afford one.

My question is, what do you ladies and gentlemen think is the best vehicle for a Navy Officer? I'd like to hear, preferably from a lot of people. Many current officers already have experience and know certain things that are useful that the rest of us do not. Some, like myself, have thought about it and have some ideas.

I for one have a Ford Ranger XLT Supercab, 1993, V6, and love it. There are other trucks I would rather have but that is life. Having driven both extended and non extended cabs, I think the benefits of the extended cab far outweigh any costs. I do not have a canopy but am thinking of buying one because the men in my recruiting office have said that a truck with a canopy is great in the service. What additional benefits there are from spending $850 for a canopy I do not clearly see, to be honest.

austinfalnes

What a weird topic....I would assume, BUY WHATEVER YOU WANT! That seems to work in the civilian sector, and I think this is one area where civilian and military lifestyles are similar

(Not meant to be angry, just my response)

zuggerat

i have a 1995 Chevy Lumina but openfully it'll magically turn into a 2004 Subaru WRX STi soon... but i hafta apply for OCS first, so neither are navy cars YET... =)

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I drive a 93 Toyota Pickup 4 wheel drive. Dependable and fun 5 speed. It'll get me through the rest of school, and hopefully I can get myself something before TBS (perhaps college grad?) because I need something with more HP and more room while moving from TBS and P'cola. I'll always drive a truck though. I have to hunt and fish!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Buy whatever the heck you want. If it drives, it drives.

That being said, my 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport is just delicious...

riley

1978 VW Rabbit - 48 hp diesel engine, baby!! You can drive all day long on one tank of fuel..

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sticking with the general theme on this one, drive whatever you want (ie stick with your truck), you are going to see the ballistic spread from your peers. Some guys take that initial paycheck and $$ and rush out to buy that brand new expensive sports car. I knew a couple guys that got themselves into trouble financially with their spending habits, and what they got roped into. Trust me, every financial institution is going to offer you $$ once you get commissioned, it is quite funny, but dangerous to those that take too much advantage of it.

In my view, if you aren't maxing out your TSP contributions (military 401k) and your IRA while dropping a fistful of dough on your BLING BLING new ENSIGNMOBILE, then something is wrong. Just my two cents.

navsup

BDCP Supply
Originally posted by version2point0
dodge viper is my dream car, but i just bought an 04 civic (NEVER LEASE!!!) thank you BDCP!

-v2.0

Why do you say never lease? I was thinking about doing the gmac smartbuy program on a 2004 grand prix gt for my wife. Let me know about your experience.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Personally, I see no reason to buy a new car if you're happy with the one you already have. I definitely see the temptation though, especially if you don't have a family you have to support. I went through the whole thing already with my BDCP money... I went out and bought a motorcycle with the extra cash before I thought everything through. Paying for the bike didn't seem too bad and I knew I really wanted to try it out. After looking back at my decision a few months later it was pretty clear that I would have been better off saving my money. The bike was LOTS of fun, but I realized that I wouldn't be able to use it all that much after college. OCS has a no motorcycle rule and I heard that API does too. Besides that, what would I do with it on deployment? It doesn't matter anymore though, someone hit me and the bike is totalled.

The same thing goes for a new car. You'll be sitting on an asset that is depreciating faster than you can use it. If you have a car that works I'd say keep it. You could buy a used car (relatively new) if you really do need something and save yourself from taking such a hit on the depreciation.

Right now I'm driving the same 1995 Dodge Ram that I bought just before I graduated from high school. Back then I thought I'd get rid of it after college, but now I'm pretty sure I'll hang on to it for a while. It's not in perfect shape but it's good enough. I'll have it paid for by the time I graduate, and I am definitely looking forward to not having to make a monthly car payment. I could take the insurance check from the motorcycle and buy a new truck, but I think that I'll be better off if I just hang on to my money for a while.

Ask around, people will tell you to hang on to all the money you can.

GatorNFO

SNFO in Primary
I think the whole world should own something as sweet as my 02 Jeep Wrangler! However the important thing is just to be happy with whatever you drive. Who cares what the rest of the Navy is driving. Just my .02

version2point0

Originally posted by navsup
Why do you say never lease? I was thinking about doing the gmac smartbuy program on a 2004 grand prix gt for my wife. Let me know about your experience.

i used to work for an insurance company in los angeles, so although this isnt practical experience, it is good advice: leasing gives you NOTHING in return except for a ride.if you lease, you pay for a car about the same as a car payment, but you have to give it back. the car dealer expects the car to be returned in almost the same condition as you took it, which requires higher limits on your insurance as well. (most leasing companies require 50k 100k liability and 50k property damage, and a LOW deductible for comp/collision) on leases) AND if you drive too much, they will charge you for overuse of miles as well. if you buy a car, you pay about the same ammount in monthly payments, you get to keep the car, and you can save on auto insurance (over the 6 months to 1 year policies) by not having such extreme requirements. its always better to keep what you pay for when youre done paying for it right?

-v2.0

Enrique

Good question, see here in San Diego (everything is material in some way)When I drive all I see is alot of enlisted driving nice cars like the brand new F-150's (Ugly) or 2003 jeeps (nice) and some new Hummers wow.

And some times when I look at the officers cars they drive like old chevys,mustangs,old jeeps.

However the officer
captain_125.gif
family car is nice off course you have to plase your lady and the kids if you are married. I think the officers are looking for the future in some way. (don't want to put any one down but come one! if you are a E-5 o E-7 why do you want a Hummer or a brand new Scalade... with DVD and 18 inch bling! bling! and nice stero system) it make no cents.

I ask my self why to much bling bling
banghead_125.gif
?

I will buy any thing that will make me happy and is not expenseve and has room enought for the lady to open there legs
magnify_125.gif
.. oyea baby
bouncy_125.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.