• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What can I do now?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well, if you read up on it you would see how they get their money......publishing of all places....
Dallas Baptist College .... 'scuse me .... checked their website ... they're now a University. :)

Publishing can be a great and good thing, I guess ...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dallas Baptist College .... 'scuse me .... checked their website ... they're now a University. :)

Publishing can be a great and good thing, I guess ...

Making money can be a great and good thing.......I guess......:D

I like to do my reserach and was suprised to see that they (PCC) get a lot of money out of the book business, they even put the students to work on it! Apparently that is why they are able to charge a tuition a third of contemporary schools.

If you read a bit further too, they don't play nice with some of their contemporaries either. They had a little dispute with Bob Jones U a few years back about the King James Bible........

Interesting place to read about......:D

NavyOne

Both Berkeley and religious colleges offer their advantages. Obviously Cal has some great professors (16 Nobel Laureates, etc.), but Christian colleges offer a more desirable quality of life and environment. And I am going to crawl out on the generalization limb and say that their students are more respectful on a whole than the punks at Cal. And respectfulness is a desirable trait, one that some of the younger members of this forum should consider attaining.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
HO-LEE THREADJACK BATMAN!!!

To state the obvious, a major university's academic program is generally going to be recognized as better, or at least more prestigeous, than a Christian school. I'm speaking here of the PCCs, Bob Jones, Liberty, et al., not Notre Dame, SMU, Duke, and other "real" colleges that are supported by religious denominations. Yes, the ancient Aramaic may be to die for, but a degree in Youth Ministry from PCC is not going to open the same doors that even an English degree from Cal Berkeley is.

Go to a Christian college if you want to live in that environment. Personally, even as a practicing church-goer, I'd rather rub salt into my urethra than go to college under the PCC rules. If you want to grow spiritually and in understanding of religion, they're the right place.

If you want a more conventional education taught by recognized scholars in their fields, go to a normal major institution.

Also, recognize that none of the small Christian schools have ROTC programs and that some have accreditation issues that will keep grads from even OCS or PLC-type programs.

My advice would be to attend a normal school with a strong program in the major you're interested in, and just hold true to your own religious beliefs while you're there.

Actualy, I would rather go to a good secular University. I am looking into getting a B.S. in Ag from Western Kentucky University; because, after I get out of the mil I would like to back to cattle/goat/horse/hog/etc. farming. Would having a Ag degree hurt my chances of getting a flight slot even if I had good grades? Would it help if I minored in Arospace?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
HO-LEE THREADJACK BATMAN!!! ......My advice would be to attend a normal school with a strong program in the major you're interested in, and just hold true to your own religious beliefs while you're there.
Great advice .... and a REAL test of character.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Actualy, I would rather go to a good secular University. I am looking into getting a B.S. in Ag from Western Kentucky University; because, after I get out of the mil I would like to back to cattle/goat/horse/hog/etc. farming. Would having a Ag degree hurt my chances of getting a flight slot even if I had good grades? Would it help if I minored in Arospace?

I think you'd be alright. I know plenty of psychology and music majors here. It certainly wouldn't hurt to take some higher math/engineering courses to gain a better understanding, but they teach you all you need to know. In the end, just show that you're well rounded, have good grades and have great interest and you'll be alright.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I don't know why Scoober, but your avatar disturbs me. Deeply.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Depends on the religion...;):D
True, true ... I was remiss in that I did not consider all faiths.

witchdoctoryd5.jpg

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
True, true ... I was remiss in that I did not consider all faiths.

Well, with all due respect, it's quite obvious that you've forgotten to take your pills again. :D

To the OP: Don't worry about your major, as someone previously posted, major isn't as big of a factor in getting aviation as being a well-rounded person with a good GPA, a good ASTB score (That's where studying math and mechanics would come in somewhat) and an application that shows you're not just a bookworm. Especially activities that you've done that show leadership experience...I'm guessing that those military types like to see leadership in future officers.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Exactly, and in the end study what you want because for some reason if everything falls through you'll at least have your major fall back on. Not only that, you'll do better studying something you enjoy than something you won't.