• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are the long term commitment of a marine pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
Merlin said:
Why are people bashing on this guy when you have only heard ONE side of the story. As they say there are three sides. What he thinks, what she thinks and what REALLY happened. Its also amusing to see so many people knocking at this guys character who can't retort on his behalf.

But Merlin, it's so much fun to bash on someone when they can't fight back...

You do have a good point, I think we all just got caught up in the thread. Fact of the matter is, if this guy gets trough Seniors, he will be our brother (if we also get through since most of us arent even Marines yet ourselves.

Broadsword2004

Not sure if this is true or not, but I think I had read that when the Harrier originally was in development, it was too heavy to be a full VTOL aircraft as well, and was too heavy; but they fixed it.

Actually, I think it was expected that the JSF would be too heavy right now for its current engine; but that is why it isn't due out yet for some years.

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
if the military is footing the bill for his education, he owes time. the undergrad is usually 1:1, meaning one year of service for each year of education. he'll train in the summers, but that does not constitute ALL of his pre-'flight' training. this does however, depend on how he's paying for school. if he got any portion of a GI bill, for example, and is using that, then the 1:1 does not apply. (graduate school is usually a 2:1 deal.) Taking the Marine aviation route takes longer than the navy because the Marines train you to lead Marines. aka-- you're an Officer (aka leader) of Marines, who just happens to fly. to answer your question, 'if he does not become a pilot, can he quit', the answer is not usually, especially if he owes for his education.

the harrier is the older jet-- i know of at least one guy on this forum who flies one. it's been a while since he's posted, but he could probably give you some insight.

you said that he was kicked out of the merchant marine academy for his mouth. do you know if there were any other reasons? like unsatisfactory pt, test scores, or something else? if you've ever spoken to anyone who has gone through Marine Boot Camp/ OCS, they will tell you that you learn very quickly when to shut your mouth. Marines also have a way of taking care of their own problems, so if this type of behavior that you've indicated continues at OCS, he won't be there for very long.

if you screw around in a jet, sure, your chances of dying increase. that's common sense. but if you screw around in a car, your chances of dying increase, and your chances of dying out on the open road are much higher than in the wild blue. the training these pilots go through is exhaustive-- you and your sister should understand that. they train every scenario that can possibly happen, and he'll fly more than one type of plane before he even gets to the jet. (and simulators before that.) if he can't hack it, he'll wash out of the program. squeeze, in south texas, is training in the jet right now, so he can tell you for sure. on the other hand, the military is a dangerous business, so your sister needs to be very clear on that too.

time away-- the Marine jet guys that i know who are not assigned to carriers typically deploy once a year, for 6 months at a time. they are based on the east and west coasts, and in hawaii. so if you sister actually marries this guy, he'll be around, gone for 6 months, then involved in the 6 month work up cycle, (where they can go anywhere for a few days to a few weeks at a time to train), and then gone again for 6 months. i'm not married, but i would think that being married to a Marine would be challenging-- pilots can also be assigned to ground duty, and some pilots have actually been on the ground in iraq.

somthing to think about: a lot of guys recommend taking girlfriends to an airshow-- the theory being if she 'gets it', then the couple has a greater chance of making it. has your sister attended anything like this with her boyfriend? does he get it?

KBayDog

Broadsword2004 said:
Yeah that's why I sai it is sort of a "trick" they use.

It isn't a "trick" at all; it is very clearly spelled out in the accession contracts. It is not in the "fine print," either.

It is just something that people either overlook, forget about, or WANT to forget about. People only focus on entry-level training, or the goal of a specific MOS or duty.

The reality is that you are subject to recall anytime up to your eight-year mark. (As a matter of fact, an IRR sergeant was recently KIA.)

It warrants serious consideration before enlisting or accepting a commission.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Worried_sister said:
He went to some merchant Marine school in NY after HS, and got kicked out because of bad grades and talking back.

You are either talking about SUNY Maritime Academy (State University of New York) or the US Mercant Marine Academy (a federal service academy). Either way, if he gets kicked out of a University, for any reason, it is permanantly on his record (I currently work at a University admisison and records/student relations office). And if he is kicked out of school for any reason other than grades, it is extremely hard to get into any other school, let alone the military (grades people can get around by going to Community College and usually other Universitys will let them in). In fact, if you are kicked out of school for Academic dishonesty or for disiplinary reasons, its almost impossible to get into any other University. Iknow the Navy requested a copy of all my transcripts from every University I had ever attended. I don't know if the Marines is the same, but if they are, I don't see how they would let him in b/c I guarentee if he was kicked out of school, it is on his transcript (I guess it could have just been a oversight).

Good luck with this all. ALl I can sugest is state your concerns to your sister, and then be there for her no matter what she decides. If she decides to be with him, just stick by her. B/c when he screws her over, she will need a loving and concering sister that you obviously are.

EngineGirl

Broadsword2004

Well, by "trick" I meant it is something that they make it harder for you to see, as half the people in the military are probably unaware of the IRR even.

Clux4

Banned
Anybody in the military today that tells you they do not know how the IRR works is a liar. When you go down to MEPs, they explain this thing to you. There is a staff that explains and makes sure you understand what you are signing.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
They didn't tell me about it at MEPS, but my OSA went into detail before he let me sign it. It really pissed me off too when the army guys were complaining about there contracts being extended when they signed a form that clearly says that that may happen as well.

pjxc415

pilot
good call trongod ... i can't stand people bashing someone they've never met, and discussing a situation for which they know only the surface details, without the knowledge if these details are 100% accurate. i think the purpose of this thread should be to give worried sister accurate information on the aviation pipeline, the time commitment, and any other relevant info on plc and the marine corps. let her take this info as she will, offer it to her sister, and let them figure it out. just my 2cents as ya'll say

makoslim

Air candidate 188
I don't think the thread needs to be locked, the bashing ended a while ago, but it would be nice if one of the admin guys deleted our negative posts, we kind of got caught up in the moment ona subject we are all passionate about.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If someone has a post they want deleted, all you have to do is send a moderator a pm specifying which one. How are we supposed to know which ones you are "passionate" about?

Crowbar

None
Closed for business. If you have something you want deleted, send me a PM with the post number or the first line of the post in it....

Status
Not open for further replies.