• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are the long term commitment of a marine pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
hmm, a Dork or a Tool, i can't decide which one fits your sister's boyfriends description ...

what's your Sis think of the dude? she questioning any of his bullsh1t?

Worried_sister said:
Thanks for all your information. The reason I'm so concerned is that this guy is kind of a creep. He went to some merchant Marine school in NY after HS, and got kicked out because of bad grades and talking back. Now he's telling her he only has to be in the Marines for 2 years and then he will become a commerical airline pilot. He says he wants to fly a new jet they have that can fly vertically and if he messes up he wil die. My boyfriend (who isn't in the military) says from what he knows the plane that flies like that now is really old, and the new one that willl be shared with the rest of the military probably won't even be made until around 2010. I don't know if this is true or not, but as you can see the way he talks about it is really dishonest.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Broadsword2004 said:
He might also be referring to the Harrier jet; that is an old plane, been in the fleet since the late 70s. It can take off and land vertically, but is supposed to be replaced by a VTOL (Vertical Take-Off & Landing) version of the Joint Strike Fighter eventually.

ben said:
I was thinking he meant the Marine variant of the JSF, which definitely won't be around any time soon. Either way I still stand by my comment that this guy is a tool. Tell your sister to break it off :tapedshut.

Yeah, now that I re-read it I think you two are most likely right, he's probably talking about the Harrier/JSF. Still, this guy's a tool.

gagirl

First, I would question the Marines taking someone to be an officer that was kicked out of school. :confused: Of course anything is possible, and some do slip through the cracks.

I didn't think with any job pilot or not that you could serve less than 4 active duty. I'm sure someone will be quick to tell me if I'm wrong. If this were my sister I think we'd be talking. The b/f seems like a total loser. She's lucky she has you. I have 4 yr old twin girls and I always tell them that they better have each others backs.
Good luck with him. Let us know what happens.

Broadsword2004

I don't think you can serve less than 4 years duty in any branch of the military; they sort of have a trick called like "inactive service" or something which you have to serve like 4 years of when you get out of the military (I think; I may be dead wrong on this). But I think that is so they can call you back up if they need you.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to worry. Most liars dont do so well at OCS so maybe soon your sister will be with an out of work wannabee instead of a pilot who only has a two year commitment.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Broadsword2004 said:
I don't think you can serve less than 4 years duty in any branch of the military; they sort of have a trick called like "inactive service" or something which you have to serve like 4 years of when you get out of the military (I think; I may be dead wrong on this). But I think that is so they can call you back up if they need you.

You are thinking of the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR). All military personnel serve 8 years minimum on either active duty, active reserves (those are the reservists who go once a month), or the IRR. The IRR is a system where you can get called back at any time and be expected to perform the duties you have been trained for. If you spend 4 years on active duty you will spend 4 years in the IRR to complete your 8 year obligation. If you spend 6 years active you spend 2 years in the IRR to complete your 8 year obligation. There is no other responsibility of someone in the IRR besides possibly being called back. As a matter of fact, I'd bet money there are plenty of people in the IRR that have no clue they are, and would be very surprised should the phone ring.

Clux4

Banned
I have a question to ask though, has he being known for such acts and behavior. Now information get lil mixed up when it starts getting from second party to third party and this talk might be a victim of misconception. Have you personally heard him say this stuff or are you just putting things together from what your sister has told you. I am definitely not supporting this guy, but he might just be trying to be plain as possible by mentioning the fact that he might die. There is nothing absolutely wrong looking a girl that you love in the face and telling her that your intended career path is dangerous and might entail the ultimate sacrifice.
If it is actually the other way around then he might need some psych. evaluation.

This guy got kicked out of the Merchant Academy? How did his PLC package look with this?(I mean what referrence did he use) Are you really sure this guy did go for PLC? This sounds more like the other woman that got murdered by her husband(the one that claimed to be a medical doctor) than Lacie Petereson's.

(Can you imagine a psycho. like this laying next to you on the firing range ! We talking about some 200 Lt. paying through the muzzle of an M-16)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
what a tool. kick him to the curb.

if your sister's hot, i know of at least one real marine jet pilot (in training) who is single.

/who am i kidding, i have no standards anymore :(

makoslim

Air candidate 188
Broadsword2004 said:
He might also be referring to the Harrier jet; that is an old plane, been in the fleet since the late 70s. It can take off and land vertically, but is supposed to be replaced by a VTOL (Vertical Take-Off & Landing) version of the Joint Strike Fighter eventually.

NO criticism here bud, just a correction, the JSF B isn't VTOl like the harrier, rather it is STOVL, they can't quite get the weight right for VTOL (they can only take off vertically with a "less than full" fuel tank and no payload). However, they are still working on it, and it may be VTOL capable when it comes out. Last I heard it will be phased in in 2010 (2 years later than the 2008 deadline about a year ago).

Also I have heard that the JSF is pretty much idiot proof, and wont be like the early models of the Harrier. He was probably refering to the early days of the AV-8B when it was aptly nicknamed "The Widow Maker" because there were so many problems with it, the AV-8BII that we have been using for quite some time now has fixed most of the problems with the earlier variation making it much safer. This guy is a true queen

Worried Sister said:
He went to a training thing this past summer in virginia, and he has to go again next summer. He will be graduating with an economics degree in the spring.

How did this dusch ever get through PLC Juniors? Anyone want to start a pool over whether he will make it through Seniros? Ill put in a fiver.

tell you sister to ditch this guy, and not judge Marines by his standards, he is a relatvie minority in the Corps.

sonshine

PLC06 Applicant
Hey worried, I'm a twin also! Are you guys identical? Fraternal? I always love meeting other twins, cause it's very rare if I do.... don't know why, it just is. Anyways....back to the subject.... Tell her to kick his sorry-lying butt to the curb. I know I would appreciate my sis watching my back like you are hers.

Merlin

Merlin
Attention: Calling all Dr. Phils of this forum

Why are people bashing on this guy when you have only heard ONE side of the story. As they say there are three sides. What he thinks, what she thinks and what REALLY happened. Its also amusing to see so many people knocking at this guys character who can't retort on his behalf. To me thats BS. Give her the info she's seeking and leave it be.

To the concerned sister:

You know the fact of the matter is is if you sister really cares and is concerned she should go and educate herself. Give her the tools and if she does good for her and if not well some times people like to be in the "Dark" for thier own reasons.

Merlin

kevin

good point, but there are tools everywhere. im not sure which is scarier...that tools like that exist, or that there exist women who will date them.

Status
Not open for further replies.