• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are the best glasses for flying

batteryguy4

Pro-rec SNA
Hey everyone,

I will be getting glasses for any future flying and I was wondering what your suggestions are. Typical aviators with narrow wire temples (sides)? What is comfortable under the helmets? Appreciate any help on this, thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Contacts. As far as I'm concerned, glasses are a hazard and limit your field of view.

Brett

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
My eyes are just bad enough to warrant a prescription, but not bad enough to get good results with contacts. I have a set of cheaters that are the aviator type with the flat sides. They're fairly comfortable under the helmet. They help with joins and ball flying, especially at night.

As for the field of view, I never really had an issue---but my eyes aren't that bad.

Edit: Just saw you're a pro-rec. Don't waste your money. The Navy will give you multiple sets of clear and tinted prescription aviators fo' free.

yak52driver

Contributor
Do G's cause contacts to displace at all? I've got 20/15 vision beyond arm's length, I just wear a pair of reading glasses for sitting at the computer screen. Fortunately I don't need them when I'm flying.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
The trick is to anticipate when the stick is going to pull hard in any direction - and not to be looking in the opposite direction when he does. I've worn hard & soft lenses, and among my worst moments were getting one or more hard lenses slid into the corner of my eyes when we were pulling 7Gs and I was yelling clock & range info on the bogey. Personally, I hated wearing glasses under a helmet - they always got fogged or sweaty in the middle of a fight. FWIW.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My eyes are just bad enough to warrant a prescription, but not bad enough to get good results with contacts. I have a set of cheaters that are the aviator type with the flat sides. They're fairly comfortable under the helmet. They help with joins and ball flying, especially at night.

As for the field of view, I never really had an issue---but my eyes aren't that bad.

Edit: Just saw you're a pro-rec. Don't waste your money. The Navy will give you multiple sets of clear and tinted prescription aviators fo' free.

I'm in the same boat. I was like 20/15 in the left, 20/25 in the right on my last annual, and although certainly ridiculous looking (speaking of the standard issue gogg's here), they helped a lot in air-to-air and at the boat. I would concur that you absolutely should not waste your money on it, as the Navy will issue them to you......or you can also be issued free contacts alternatively if you wish

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Do G's cause contacts to displace at all? I've got 20/15 vision beyond arm's length, I just wear a pair of reading glasses for sitting at the computer screen. Fortunately I don't need them when I'm flying.

Not in my limited experience with pulling g's. My soft contacts are fitted like a boss, though, and I've never had trouble with them staying put.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've heard people who fly with contacts complain about them drying excessively due to ECS air and whatnot....not sure if anyone would agree

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard people who fly with contacts complain about them drying excessively due to ECS air and whatnot....not sure if anyone would agree
Not an issue for me. I've flown with them since flight school sans problems.

Brett