• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my chances? Getting commissioned and into flight school.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Sure, but you can't do that when you already have a degree.

The only way you can get a STA-21 contract for nuke is if you apply while in the training pipeline or an instructor in the pipeline for nuke. If you're on sea duty, no dice. There are something like 40 spots or so a year set aside for this, and there are hundreds of sailors going through the pipeline at any one time. The recruiters and the pamphlets make it seem like all you have to do is raise your hand when the time comes and you'll get into a free degree program, when in reality you have to be at the top of your class and still might not be selected.

The only way you can apply for a commissioning program outside of STA-21 nuke without a waiver from PERS (which is rarely granted except if you are otherwise medically dq'ed for submarine service) is to apply within 12 months of EAOS.

exNavyOffRec

Few people outside the military understand the difference. I think I found out maybe a day before I started inquiring that you could enter as an officer, before that I thought you got promoted to 2nd LT/ENS at some point from within.

I walked into an enlisted recruiter office first because that's the only information I could find off of the Navy's website in my area. They laughed at me for wanting to go officer and said I needed a 3.7 GPA. I said I had a 3.8, their jaw dropped. They shut up and faxed my info to the O.R.

I have had more than one nuke tell me they enlisted with a degree because they were told that's the best way to become an officer (oops: you need to be within 12 months of EAOS for a nuke to apply to OCS, and can't go STA-21 out of prototype with a degree).

not uncommon for them to be told go enlisted first, due to that issue our NRD (not sure if NRC policy) started the policy where anyone with an AA or higher had to be interviewed by an OR, if they showed up at the enlisted processor to pick a job without that interview sheet processing stopped until the interview happened.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
han-solo.jpg

JMacris

Third wire, every time
I don't know if this has been said already, but you need to make sure you throughly discuss with the Navy recruitment office that you will go through
about securing a flight school spot. If not, the navy can put you wherever they want, and you will be stuck with maybe a job you might not like.
This needs to be done before OCS!!!
Say that if you don't take a aviation spot, you won't go at all- that should work.

exNavyOffRec

I don't know if this has been said already, but you need to make sure you throughly discuss with the Navy recruitment office that you will go through
about securing a flight school spot. If not, the navy can put you wherever they want, and you will be stuck with maybe a job you might not like.
Say that if you don't take a aviation spot, you won't go at all- that should work.

young man you need to educated yourself about how things work because what you have put here is just not correct.

Zanklin

Oh the per diem you'll make...
pilot

Marines love to hear that too.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
young man you need to educated yourself about how things work because what you have put here is just not correct.

Seriously, dude. You're in high school. Advising people about something you're not even close to doing yet isn't kosher. I know this is the internet and all, but come on.

RoamingBiologist

Flying out deep into the wilderness.
back when I was a high school senior in the 2000/2001 timeframe, I talked to a recruiter and he said there was no chance I'd ever get into naval aviation, suggested I enlist (ie his job) and I walked out. Needless to say, he was very wrong. Don't worry about that. OCS is your jam if you aren't turning 27 (or 27.5 or whatever it is) anytime soon. I personally doubt you would have much trouble as a VT Mech E grad as long as you aren't snuffing lines of coke on the weekends and you have been a contributing member of society.

This post cracked me up because I'm turning 27 and banking on that 27.5 as a backup LOL.