• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast Eddie

What did you guys weigh when you shipped to OCS?

I'm 5'9" 200lbs.. about 12% bf. The running is PUNISHING my body.. I think I am too heavy..

What kind of recommended max weights do you guys suggest?.. I think I need to say **** it and lose all the fat and muscle I have and get down to 160. Running and pull ups would be MUCH easier.

Any experiences? Please secify marines or navy ocs.. Marines is my primary interest..

BYSun

Twitch, what do you mean when you say the running is punishing your body? Shin splints? Knee pain? You feel like you want to puke up a lung?

How long do you run for during a session?

I was sort of in the same boat in that I tend to develop muscle pretty quick and before I knew it, my run times were beginning to suck as I bulked up. I tried to even out my routine and make a more balanced approach to the different areas of my body with respect to development of muscle. Currently, I am the same height as you and I weigh 180 lbs. My last run time was 9:52 for the mile and a half. Not the best, but not the worst.

I find that most people, especially weight lifters, have a problem with running because their bodies are not used to it. The added bulk exascerbates the problem, of course, but I know a number of people who are quite heavy, though muscular and can run really well. However these people incorporated running as part of their routine so it wasn't new to them.

If you find yourself gulping for air and you feel like your chest is going to explode, then your problem is cardiovascular and you would need to get used to doing more sustained (though lower intensity) aerobic exircise for longer periods of time. Evenutally your lungs will "open up" and your running will improve (regardless of your weight).

If your problems are more physical (aches, pains, compound fractures) then your body has simply not adjusted to the new physical demands you are placing on it. In this case some weight (strenth not bulk) training could help strengthen the tendons, ligaments, and connective tisse in the joints, bones, and muscles. This is a slower process, but there's really no way around that. The result of going to fast is that you will most likely injure yourself.

I don't know many people who have easily lost muscular weight successfully, and 160 lbs., although average weight on some charts seems a bit extreme to me.

In the end, the basics work. Eat well (NEVER skip breakfast), drink lots of water, and run run run (just control the intensity). If runnig becomes painful, then do lower impact aerobic exircise. I prefer mountain biking, but to make that lower impact you have to stay off those suicide trails ~_^

Hope this helps,

Good luck,
Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
I would EASE into the running. Not only will it have a mental effect on you (such as hating it), but you could get shin splints, stress fractures, etc. I had a lower back injury during the winter and had to stop running for a bit. When I healed I jumped right back into running at a fast pace and intense routine. I am now trying to recover from stress fractures in time to go back and finish Marine OCS in May. I may/may not recover in time. So, my advice is to ease into it but make sure you challenge yourself each time you run. Running is the bread and butter of OCS and you WILL NOT survive without it. In addition, I'd keep as strong as possible so that you can negotiate obstacles easier and prevent injury. However, bulk is not a requirement. The skinny kids always seem to make platoon high when it comes to PT. Good luck in your training.

Fast Eddie

Thanks guys.

Yeah the problem is in my lower legs.. the actual BONE.. my tendons are strong because my weight training focused around maximal lifts..but it seems like my BONES aren't ready for it.. it's like shin splints but distributd all the way around my entire lower leg bone.. I think the only way to prepare the bones for the impact is just patience and easing into it..

jaerose

If you already have the pain, then you're going to have to take time off to heal. You CANNOT run through shin splints. RICE...rest, ice, compress and elevate. Also, if you specifically train the muscle lining your tibia by doing toe raises you can reduce the odds of repeating the injury because imbalance will cause shin splints, too.

As far as losing muscle goes, I don't personally believe it's a good thing, but it is actually very easy to do. If you don't get enough calories and proteins in your diet, then your body will cannibalize the muscle tissue for energy because it's easier to burn than fat and your body is essentially lazy, meaning that it wants to store bodyfat and burn fewer calories. That, though, begins a negative cycle of your basal metabolic rate dropping, so you have to drop more calories and so on. Muscle mass actually helps you lose weight. I would say that if you lose another 12 lbs. of fat you'd be at 6% (simple math) and the standard 188 lbs. for 5'9" (Navy at least, which I am). Also, there will be a noticable difference in your running performance as your muscles remain strong, but your body is lighter.

Another option is to run on grass...less impact to the joints. As far as losing fat goes, I don't know what your metabolism is like, but I'm also 5'9" but heavier than you (215) at around the same bodyfat percentage (actually probably a bit higher now b/c I had surgery and have just started working out again) and the diet that worked best for me was the 40/30/30 macronutrient ratios broken into five, or six small meals throughout the day about 3 hours apart. I actually was at 175 lbs. and probably 4-5% bodyfat max. I was also doing 30-40 minutes of cardio 4-5 times a week in the morning on an empty stomach and then weights in the evenings. If you don't believe me PM me on this site and I'll email you a pic to prove it. I'm trying to get back there now. My problem is similar, in that I have a lot of muscle mass for my frame, not really because I wanted to be big, but because I push myself when I lift and I don't feel like I'm working out hard when I lift lighter weights for reps. If anyone has a solution to that one, let me know because I would like to be built more like a tri-athlete. Also, I'd appreciate any tips on swimming, or a good program from someone who's much better than I am. Thanks and good luck to all.

JR

Bushmaster

"My last run time was 9:52 for the mile and a half."

Gosh... How are you guys running that fast? I am 5"11 and 135 lbs... Why can't I run that fast?... I can do a mile in 8:45 to 9:30 and then I am out
ouch_125.gif
... Why? Why can't I keep up? After a mile I lose my pace and slow down... I don't feel any pain or anything... Sometimes when I try to run really fast , I feel like my lungs are burning... I know I need to put some meat on my bones before I enlist this coming fall... But how am I going to improve myself? I am worried if there is something wrong with my heart... Last year I ran 4 months straight every weekday, and no improvement in running time... After a mile, I am done... Can you guys give me some advice?

Thanks....

NuSnake

that just means you arent in that good of shape....you need to be running 7-7:30 min miles at a minimum....run farther distances at a slower pace then gradually increase your pace. Your 1.5 mile run time should drop.....this worked for me anyways.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
--Edmund Burke

BYSun

Bushmaster,

What and when do you eat? Presuming you are medically ok, at 5'11 and 135 lbs. you must be pretty thin. I dont mean that at all disparageingly, but you may be one of those people who have a really high metabolism. It sounds like you are running out of gas early into your run causing your muscles to use up their glycogen stores (been a long time since I studied biokenetics so if I'm wrong about this please correct me).

Also, if you were running "straight" (i.e. no rest days, or not enough rest) then your muscles will begin to deteriorate...fast. The body need just as much rest as it does stress (from exircise). If you don't get enough rest then the body cannot repair itself properly and you end up worse for the wear.

Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

jaerose

Bryce is right. If you've got high metabolism, then you're just running out of gas. If that's indeed the case, then try to eat more calorie dense foods like nuts and the like. Also, make sure you're getting enough complex, not simple, carbs like oatmeal, potatoes, fruits and veggies (although fruits have a mix of sugars and complex carbs...bananas are the highest in sugar and apples are lower on the glycemic index).

For speed, which is what I will work on in about a couple of months, you might try having one 'speed' day per week in lieu of long running. For example, go to a track and do 1-lap/400 yd. repeats where you run 1-lap hard trying to get it in under 1.5 minutes, then rest for 30-60 seconds (preferably walking) and then repeat for 6-10 sets. Try to do at least 6 'cause that's your 1.5 mile mark. Then when this is easier and you do the laps faster you should have no problem with the regular run.

Lastly, make sure you're getting enough rest. Over training only leads to injury, so have at least 1 and preferably 2 days of active rest per week, which means cross-train by still doing cardio, but just do it on a bike/stair stepper/walk etc. Then try to have one pure rest day where your legs can completely recover. Don't forget stretching as it helps speed the recovery. I know I don't stretch enough. Anyway, I hope all this helps. Good luck.

JR

Bushmaster

Thanks for the replies guys...

Bysun, what can be wrong medically? What do you think? I don't feel anything wrong... I thought maybe cardio system but I have been tested thru 1995-1998 in flight school. (That was in my native country)

I guess I have a high metabolism.. Because I eat good. Especially more on the veggies and fruits... But sometimes I get stuck on the computer and I forget myself there
banghead_125.gif
Hours pass I don't eat...

When I was running last year, I took off from running on weekends... I did nothing...

On mondays my performance was good but it was slowly getting worse towards the end of the week.

One more thing we don't have a track for running here so I run on a biking track which is a mile long. But lots of uphills, downhills...

Is there a good website for beginner runners? I want to start seriously this time... What I actually want is to have a list of things to do... Like do this today, run this much, eat these, etc...

I also need advice on stretching before running... What muscles to stretch?

I appreciate your advice guys...

BYSun

Bushmaster,

check out this link.

https://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/ocs/ocs_phystraining.htm

It has links for a good conditioning program and an EXCELLENT stretching routine. The trick about stretches...Do ALL the stretches EVERY time for a MINIMUM of twenty seconds on each stretch. Personally, I am a big fan of stretching because it allows me to maintain flexibility and range of motion. I lift weights and I notice very few people stretch between sets at my gym. For some, their flexibility is so bad they cant even touch their shoulders, much less run. REAL BAD. :<

If you are properly stretched (before and after a workout) then you will find running much more enjoyable.

Regarding what can be wrong medically, well, I am not a physician and I dont want to put nasty thoughts into your head. However, some problems are more prevalent than others. For example, you may find you simply have low blood Iron (anemia) or low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) both of which can easily be corrected by adjusting your diet. However, it is also nice to make certain you dont have more serious, though rare, problems (e.g. heart valve irregularities, or pulmonary disorders). I wouldn't be concerned with the latter too much if you have been getting regular check ups.

Regarding diet, I honestly cant tell you how much you should be eating, but if you eat more fruits and veggies than, say, grains and other complex carbohydrates then yes, you will burn out pretty fast. Veggies have relatively few calories and little complex carbohydrates. Fruits may have more Carbs, but these are usually simple carbs (sugar) and burn off like gasoline. Also, you said you start out good during the beginning of the week and taper off as the week goes on (or thats how I read it) and you rest on the weekends. Thats not how it generally works. Go hard one day, rest the next day, go moderate the third day, light the fourth day, Hard the fifth day, and rest on the sixth day. Or something like that. Basically you should go from periods of equal exertion to equal rest. You cant "save up" and rest for the weekend or you will see a trend like you described.

I am sure there are other great sites on the web about running, start with "Runners's World" magazine website and see what links are available.

Two questions, When do you start OCS and do you smoke. Be honest :>

Good luck,

Bryce

Bushmaster

Thanks Bryce for the reply ...

Ummm, I had my blood sugar checked a few weeks ago(isn't that the one which tells you are diabetes or not) and it was OK. Don't know about blood iron though...

I don't have respiratory, pulmonary disorders I know that... My last EKG was in 1998 and it was OK too. Is there any symptoms regarding heart/valve or similar cardio problems?

Honest, I have never smoked.

When do I start OCS? Don't know but that is the goal...
icon_smile.gif
I am a foreign national so I need to enlist first and I have my sights on STA-21 as soon as I naturalize. With STA-21 I can also get my college degree.

Will let you know how I progress...

BYSun

Bushmaster,

A diabetic test (for sugar in the blood and urine) may or may not tell if you are hypoglycemic. Hyopglycemia is the opposite of diabetes but no where near as serious, though most people can exibit it if your diet is not sufficient.

Why would you have had an EKG? Pretty serious test for young people.

Regarding heart problelms...you see...this is one of those tricky areas of professional competency of which I have none. I wouldn't worry about it though. Talk to your doctor if you are concerned.

Never smoked...good for you. Don't start, its hard to quit...believe me.

Good luck, from your last statement I see you have plenty of time to prepare and will probably have a pretty exciting ride.

Best of luck,

Bryce

Bushmaster

Bryce, what I need to learn is when to say "no" to the computer and the internet... Sometimes I sit in fron of this machine for 6 hours straight
spin_125.gif

I am sure I will get back to a good diet... As soon as I hire a drill sergeant to motivate me...
eyebrows_125.gif

Why would I have had an EKG?

In 1995 for my parachute jumping classes and actual jumps... I have 3 jumps...

In 1996, for my flight school physical in Turkey, the school was the Turkish Aeronautical Association flight school, used to be a branch of the TuAF... Got our civilian commercial licenses under military order.

And in 1998 again since our student medicals expired in 2 years... They didn't tell if anything was wrong...

I don't feel like I have lots of time... I am almost 26 and this coming september I am going for enlistment... After that another year of waiting for naturalization, I will be almost 28 or around when I'd be able to apply for STA-21...

It is a difficult route but miracles happen to those who really believe...

My goal is to do 90 situps, 70 pushups for PFT in Basic which I can't even come near now
smirk_125.gif

Keep in touch
icon_smile.gif
and thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.