• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weight

Yanni

Midshipman
Hey I have a question i'm confused as hell, ok I'm 5'9.5" inches tall and i weigh approx. 186-187 ok I have a 34 in waist (measured at naval around love handles), 42 inch chest (under arms), 33 inches at the smallest point on my abdomen, and a 41 inch hip line, ok so my question is the allowable weight standard for Marine Corps Officers says 204 for my height but that can't be right, and according to the Navy measurement standard for body fat it says i have 15 and according to a pinch test its like 16-17. so i'm i alright I know i want to lose more weight but I'm reporting to nrotc in like 2 weeks me showing up as i am will that put me on like a remedial section or i'm i ok?
my PFT (MC) is Run time 22:21, sit ups 100, pull ups 15. should i be worried? My weight has always been a freakin problem i use to be 235.

jmcdonn2

Kill Al-Qaeda
Yanni,
If your looking to be a Marine Officer, you need to get in a lot better shape then what you are in. If your weight is an issue at all, remember that you need to lead be example. Do cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, reduce the sizes of your meals and eat more frequently. 22:21 is a very slow time for a Marine Officer. You want your enlisted men to look up to you. When I enlisted over 7 years ago, I was approximately in the same shape you are in right now, but I worked extra hard so that when I became an NCO I would be locked and cocked. By the time I got out of the gun club, I was just 4 pts away from a perfect PFT. Hard work and dedication will bring you everything you desire. Good luck and Semper Fi.
Jesse

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Dude, I was on remedial more semesters than not cause I was over the height/weight but passed the tape test all the time. But then I'm Navy, so it was a little more lax, but the remedial program was run by our AMOI.

Those numbers you gave for the PRT look close to what a lot of guys got at my unit. Several of the guys also ran sub 20 minute 3 miles, and the only way to get better at that is to run, hence why my run time still sucks. :icon_smil Once you get to school you'll have an idea of what the PT program will be like and how you can fit your own workouts into your sked. You might even ask the AMOI to give you suggestions, ours was more than willing to help people if they put in the effort. Good luck man.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Yanni said:
Hey I have a question i'm confused as hell, ok I'm 5'9.5" inches tall and i weigh approx. 186-187 ... so my question is the allowable weight standard for Marine Corps Officers says 204 for my height.
my PFT (MC) is Run time 22:21, sit ups 100, pull ups 15. should i be worried? My weight has always been a freakin problem i use to be 235.
Not sure where you're getting your info from but the max/min for your height is 192. See the following:

www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/0dce83e13c9c8aa685256c0c0066c2e0/c24965ff4beafa6185256bcd004aeac1/$FILE/MCO%20P6100.12%20W%20CH%201.pdf

Most schools only put you on remedial if you fail a PRT/PFT and/or are out of standards. But you are clearly not out of standards if you are below the 192 lbs. As for your run time, just continue to work at it. You have time and should have the patience. If you have lost that much weight, I know that you have the discipline. Good on the crunches and good on the pulls for a new Mid. We had USMC hopefuls that couldn't pull 8 times and they finished doing 20-23 by the end of their first year. Look up the Armstorng program for pull-ups. It works.
Good luck.

Yanni

Midshipman
Thanks guys for these tips, the Captain who helped me with my scholarship has helped, when i took my scholarship PFT i scored a 199, horrible, but i took the pft a week ago or something like that and had 249 so i'm on track. One of my problems is my nose always feels stuffed when i start running, any suggestions on something that can clear it up?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Yanni said:
Thanks guys for these tips, the Captain who helped me with my scholarship has helped, when i took my scholarship PFT i scored a 199, horrible, but i took the pft a week ago or something like that and had 249 so i'm on track. One of my problems is my nose always feels stuffed when i start running, any suggestions on something that can clear it up?

Can't remember the name of them...look in the first aid section of your grocery store...they look like bandaids....made for the nose; they help some folks quit snoring. Maybe 1.5" long, about .25" in width...place them over your nose just below where bone and cartilage meet. They open up your nasal cavitites a bit.

DCLegal

Rhino Pilot Wife
feddoc said:
Can't remember the name of them...look in the first aid section of your grocery store...they look like bandaids....made for the nose; they help some folks quit snoring. Maybe 1.5" long, about .25" in width...place them over your nose just below where bone and cartilage meet. They open up your nasal cavitites a bit.

They are called Breathe Right Nasal Strips. My uncle uses those for snoring.

Kolja

Git-r-done
Sadly, the navy (can't speak intellignetly about the Marines) lights up a large crack pipe when it comes to things like height/weight. Supposedly I should be no more than 192 for my height - I haven't been that since I was a sophomore in high school. And at least for the way my body is built, the tape test is 100% off - ie, I'd tape out at 16% but when a certified personal trainer does the caliper test, I'm 8%.