• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

We have a blimp?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be fair, none of the above had a handy little gadget called radar.

Matter of fact, they did and Navy flew missions out of Lakehurst in late 50s as part of NORAD Air Defense Network extending radar picket line well into the Atlantic. A fatel mishap in 1961 resulting in early retirement of the ultimate Navy blimp: the ZPG-3W

Note: VADM Owens almost got them reborn during his Pentagon tour in 90s

airpost3.jpg

My favorite Lighter Than Air manifestation was the USS Macon with its Heavier-than-air Air Wing of Sparrowhawks

g441979.jpg

Sister ship USS Akron

macon-sf-2800.jpg

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
"Accelerate your life...vertically, repeatedly, and rapidly, first thunderstorm you hit."

I've heard a lot of bullshit about how LTA is making a comeback. It's not like we got rid of them in the first place because they're too stable and useful. See: USS Akron, USS Macon, USS Shenandoah, USS Los Angeles.

In looking those up, I found this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F9C_Sparrowhawk

We had a plane launched out of blimps? That's f-ing awesome!

Which I now see I was beaten to the punch. Still though, that's so cool Never heard of it beforehand! I learn so much starting from this website!

chefmike

see the hook on that thing, just going through the scenarios in my head on what a "bolter" means to that guy!