• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

War College (JPME 2) as an O-4?

robav8r

None
Contributor
From a cursory search of Air University's website, I'd say that only the Online Master's Program will grant you an actual degree, and that is only available to USAF members. However, you can get up to 21 hours of graduate level credit by taking the distance learning program. Therefore, it seems to jive that taking additional electives from another school will get you a degree (from that other school), as long as the ACSC credits transfer.

Have you called them and asked?
334-953-7901

Thank you for the gouge. I know a Navy Capt there who is teaching, I'll pulse him for some more info.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
So..."War Colleges" (at the appropriate rank, I guess?) count for I & II?
From the Instruction: (NOTE: Single Phase means you get Phase 1 AND Phase 2 for completion)

National War College (NWC) Single-Phase
Industrial College of the Armed Forces (ICAF) Single-Phase
School of Information Warfare and Strategy (SIWS) Single-Phase
Joint Forces Staff College (JFSC) Joint and Combined Warfighting School (JCWS) - Phase II
U.S. Army War College - II
Army Command and General Staff College (ACGSC) (Resident) - I
College of Naval Warfare (CNW) - II
College of Naval Command and Staff (CNCS) - I
College of Continuing Education/ College of Distance Education - I
Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) - I
Air War College (AWC) - II
Air Command and Staff College (ACSC) (Resident) - I
ACSC (Non-resident) 2 November 1990 - I
Marine Corps War College - II
Marine Corps Command and Staff College (MCCSC) (Resident) - I
Marine Corps College of Continuing Education (MCCCE) (Non-resident) - I
Joint Advanced Warfighting School (JAWS) - Single-Phase

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can pick either one?

(The "fun" for me officially begins in October)

For JPME I, it's whatever one you sign up for. BUT, to do the AF one you have to be an O-4 select at a minimum. An O-3 can do the Navy DL for JPME I.

I'm in the middle of the Navy (Phase 1), and I actually like it better than the AF one (which I didn't finish). Granted, I didn't get to far in the AF course, but it really seemed like busy-work, or that "what is leader? What is a manager?" BS. The Navy's course (I've only done the Theater Decision Making one) seemed fairly applicable. I also learned you have to work very, very hard to get an A, but I think they have a tough time giving you less than a B-.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Obviously well down the road for me at this point, but can you use TA or the new GI bill for this?

Yes, although that may not be necessary. Look at it this way-
  • Educational institutions normally accept transfer credit from other institutions.
  • All of the different versions of the NWC JPME courses are worth graduate study credit, but added together they are not by themselves enough for a degree without additional credit (ie. electives). Also, the residence and Fleet Seminar JPME courses are worth more credit than the CD or web versions of those courses.
  • The NWC Master's degree is based on a core of those JPME courses plus electives. Only the JPME in residence (ie. you get orders there for a year) or JPME Fleet Seminar can count towards the NWC Master's, but the CD or web courses do not. The CD and web JPME courses are of no use to earning the NWC Master's, although other institutions may accept them as graduate study credit.
  • NWC offers many elective courses- either in residence although some of them are offered on the web too (and web electives are full credit for the degree program) and they also accept transfer credit from other institutions (with certain rules, of course).
  • The NWC electives are free tuition; the cost to you for the web electives is textbooks only.
  • The NWC core JPME courses are free tuition, no matter which version, and the books are free (although you have to give most of them back).
  • If you pursue a degree via Fleet Seminar JPME plus electives, some/all/none of those electives need not necessarily come from NWC, although as a rule for that degree program the electives do need to be under some "area of study" (ie. a minor).

Remember the big picture-
  • You may wish to do the legwork of getting a different institution to accept NWC JPME courses as transfer credit. Then you could earn a degree with a different university's name on the diploma and get the Navy would give you Master's and JPME credit. You might find that other institutions accept all, some, or none of the credit hours for any of the versions of those JPME courses.
  • Other institutions might or might not also include a thesis as a degree requirement.
  • Other services' war colleges have similar programs with similar rules to NWC's programs.

I hope that helps in the sense of understanding what to look for and what questions to ask.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good gouge from Jim. The only thing that I'll add is that in my experience, many of the schools worth going to (I.E. anything above your average state schools) will accept few if any transfer credits, especially if they're acquired via non-traditional means. Of course, YMMV.