• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Want to hear about personal experiences

Pags

N/A
pilot
Thank you guys for all the real talk about the officer/enlisted side. I have been working with an Enlisted recruiter for 5 months now, and never heard about OCS until a few weeks ago and realized that I qualify for it and it's much better quality pay and lifestyle.
The Enlisted Recruiter I've been working with told me that Officers aren't as respected as Enlisted because they don't get their hands dirty. It rubbed me the wrong way, because I know that officers have worked hard to get where they are too. Especially how much studying and testing has gone into getting my degree, I just don't want to go into this with an ignorant mindset. The officer recruiter recommended this web page.
Agree with others; if you have (or will soon have) a 4yr degree then don't consider enlisting and don't listen to that yokel of a recruiter telling you officers aren't respected. I'm not even sure what that means. Do you know who else isn't respected? Enlisted recruiters trying to convince folks with degrees to enlist. Look at officer programs in the other services before you consider enlisting.

My Thailand sea story? We swung on the hook for 1.5mo in sight of Thailand and never left except to go out deeper so we could dump trash and CHT. I paid the helo guys to bring me back pad thai from the airport because why not? Others may have some more, uh, colorful stories.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Thank you guys for all the real talk about the officer/enlisted side. I have been working with an Enlisted recruiter for 5 months now, and never heard about OCS until a few weeks ago and realized that I qualify for it and it's much better quality pay and lifestyle.
The Enlisted Recruiter I've been working with told me that Officers aren't as respected as Enlisted because they don't get their hands dirty. It rubbed me the wrong way, because I know that officers have worked hard to get where they are too. Especially how much studying and testing has gone into getting my degree, I just don't want to go into this with an ignorant mindset. The officer recruiter recommended this web page.

This amuses me. Me personally, I don't respect somebody more for choosing to enlist despite having a degree and a suitable officer package for the sake of "getting your hands dirty." I'm far more likely to question that person's judgment. I'm sure the shit they get from their peers won't be nearly the amount they heap on themselves throughout their years of service and internal "I could've..." struggle.

Not intended to offend anyone who did exactly that, but I've worked with (only a couple of) those Sailors before.

People respect people who deserve to be respected. If you use a lesser metric, your respect probably isn't worth fretting over, anyway.

aea090394

This amuses me. Me personally, I don't respect somebody more for choosing to enlist despite having a degree and a suitable officer package for the sake of "getting your hands dirty." I'm far more likely to question that person's judgment. I'm sure the shit they get from their peers won't be nearly the amount they heap on themselves throughout their years of service and internal "I could've..." struggle.

Not intended to offend anyone who did exactly that, but I've worked with (only a couple of) those Sailors before.

People respect people who deserve to be respected. If you use a lesser metric, your respect probably isn't worth fretting over, anyway.
^^^This comment was something I was thinking in my head but didn't know how to put into words. It'd be really shitty to deal with those internal "I could've" struggles for sure. @AllYourBass

exNavyOffRec

This enlisted guy is not someone to listen too, I know many enlisted that were outstanding and respected and many that were not, same with officers.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Your Enlisted recruiter is an idiot and you need to find another one (or stop talking to them altogether).
Spend the next 6-12 months working with your Officer recruiter and go ahead and put the Enlisted recruiter on block until you’ve exhausted your options to get a commission.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

This is a pretty common opinion and it stems from a misunderstanding of the division of labor aboard ships and subs. Officers are not there to turn wrenches and "get their hands dirty." We're there to manage paperwork, provide long range planning for the division/department/ship/etc., and be the overall dude or dudette in charge (i.e. you're ultimately responsible for their work performance). There are quite a few recruiters who use that line to lure in officer candidates and sway them to enlist. If you're happy turning wrenches and living the enlisted lifestyle, then definitely consider it.

As for me, I could never have handled being enlisted. I've got a big mouth, I'm opinionated and stubborn, I'm constantly trying to fix and improve inefficiencies, and I absolutely HATE the phrase "But, sir, that's the way we've always done it." I would have found the do-what-you're-told nature of being junior enlisted stifling and frustrating. It was bad enough as a Junior SWO.

The real way to earn your Sailors' respect is to show up with a desire to learn as much as you can and fiddle with as little as possible until you have your bearings and sea legs for how the division, department, and ship are run. Then, when you do start making changes, make sure you involve your Sailors because they have their own opinions and will likely surprise you with how well they can execute and complement your vision of the future. The keys to success are the same though: Get to know your Sailors, ask lots of questions, carry a notebook, get to know your Sailors, get qualified in a timely manner, get to know your Sailors, ask lots of questions, help out with sweepers, help out with stores onloads, ask your Sailors to teach you about their jobs, and get to know your Sailors. I think that about covers it. Did I mention ask lots of questions and get to know your Sailors?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Have you seen the Hangover 2?
Thailand has something for everyone. It's kind of like Australia's Mexico or Central American resort area. You can go to a beautiful resort and eat great food. You can go see ancient temples and learn about an amazing culture. You can go scuba diving or hike in some amazing natural areas. Or you can load up the baht gun and go about as nuts as you could ever want to. Although I didn't do a port call there I did take the family to a resort in the Phuket area for Xmas. Phuket is the more "family friendly" part of Thailand. Lots of AUS and UK families on the plane and at the resort going on a Christmas vacation. We got a villa and swam in the pools and ate amazing thai food (I learned what a mangosteen was). Kid #1 got to ride an elephant. Pretty neat experience but worlds away from what my Sailors would have experienced had we made it into Pattaya.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thailand has something for everyone. It's kind of like Australia's Mexico or Central American resort area. You can go to a beautiful resort and eat great food. You can go see ancient temples and learn about an amazing culture. You can go scuba diving or hike in some amazing natural areas. Or you can load up the baht gun and go about as nuts as you could ever want to. Although I didn't do a port call there I did take the family to a resort in the Phuket area for Xmas. Phuket is the more "family friendly" part of Thailand. Lots of AUS and UK families on the plane and at the resort going on a Christmas vacation. We got a villa and swam in the pools and ate amazing thai food (I learned what a mangosteen was). Kid #1 got to ride an elephant. Pretty neat experience but worlds away from what my Sailors would have experienced had we made it into Pattaya.
Agree - Thailand is amazing. I've also only been there as a tourist, and my dad lived up in the mountains north of Chiang Mai for a few years, so it was convenient to visit. Though I've never done the no-holds barred sensory overload party experience there, the variety of natural and cultural wonders, coupled with the fact that you can get an out of this world Thai meal and a beer for about $4, then roam down to hang at some of the most amazing beaches, then hike through a jungle trail with animals making sounds right out of a horror movie. Thailand kinda checks all the blocks for vacation destination.

exNavyOffRec

I've got a big mouth, I'm opinionated and stubborn, I'm constantly trying to fix and improve inefficiencies, and I absolutely HATE the phrase "But, sir, that's the way we've always done it." I would have found the do-what-you're-told nature of being junior enlisted stifling and frustrating.

you realize you just described pretty much every enlisted nuke there is right?