• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Want a rifle - any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-man

I am hoping to head to USMC OCS next October. I've been thinking about purchasing a rifle that will fire similar to the M-16. The reason for this is I'd like to do a little practice before I head to OCS. however, my budget is a little tight. Do any of you gun enthusiests out there have any recommendations on what I should look into buying?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

HueyCobra8151

pilot
They say people fire better at Bootcamp/TBS when they have never fired a rifle before.

That way you won't have any learned bad habits to break when the Marksmanship Instructors teach you how to fire the Marine Corps way.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
T-man said:
Do any of you gun enthusiests out there have any recommendations on what I should look into buying?
Like Huey said .... but you could try to rent an AR-style rifle at an indoor/outdoor range, and/or get some instruction , unless you want to buy one. There is a quality indoor one near you -- I don't remember whether or not they have an indoor long gun range --- and there is also the possibility of a .22 rimfire rifle conversion for the AR .223 cartridge, which might lend it more to indoor ranges.
gun-sword_1733_3204793.gif
coltar15conv1cw.jpg

But, if not, they might be able to direct you elsewhere ....

WADE's
13570 Bel-Red RD.
Bellevue, WA 98005
Shop Phone: 425-649-5995
Range Phone: 425-649-8560

lonnie_shop_sm.jpg
outside_sm.jpg
on_range_sm.jpg
map.gif

T-man

Yea, been to Wade's a couple times. They are a handgun only range unless you are a member. Don't think it's worth it at this point to be a member (as I don't currently own any guns). I've fired pleanty of guns though (both pistols and rifles) So to what Huey said (thank you for the advice but..) I've probably already learned any bad habits to make that point moot. What I'm really looking to do is work on my accuracy as I would by no means consider myself an expert marksman.

Thank you all for the replies thus far.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Save your money, leave the marksmanship to the instructors. Unless of course you just want to shoot for fun.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Get a pistol, it is more fun to shoot anyway.

From the holster: 3 rounds, 2 seconds.

2 to the chest, 1 to the head/pelvic girdle.

:D

Attachments

• Random 014.jpg
    Random 014.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 86

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What you seek is the AR-15. There are many variants and makes out there. This is a semi-automatic only version of the M-16. In fact, the AR-15 existed first.. the M-16 was developed off of it. It fires the the same standard 5.56x45mm NATO ammunition the M-16 does. I highly recommend you look at http://www.ar15.com

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
T-man said:
I am hoping to head to USMC OCS next October. I've been thinking about purchasing a rifle that will fire similar to the M-16. The reason for this is I'd like to do a little practice before I head to OCS. however, my budget is a little tight. Do any of you gun enthusiests out there have any recommendations on what I should look into buying?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Get an AR-15. In case you don't know, that is the civilian model of the M-16...same thing, just semi-auto. I picked up a really nice used one 2 summers ago for $500, and I love it.

KBayDog

Don't waste your time or money. You will get plenty of trigger time at OCS (albeit blanks...but you'll get a feel for how it works, anyway) and TBS (even more blanks!) You will put a lot of lead downrange at TBS, though.

Let the bubbas at WTB teach you how to shoot. It's what the Marine Corps pays them to do. (Aside from driving around in golf carts and herding lieutenants around like recruits...)

Save your money for uniforms.

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
Well to be honest all you really need is some practice with the basics of shooting a rifle and that will help you. So, either get a .22LR or maybe .17HMR rifle and practice with that, or like someone mentioned, just rent an AR-15 and that will give you all the practice you need in order to be ahead of the game. BUT, if you already have some experience and know the basics of shooting and aiming and windage and all of that, then dont even bother, you arent going to sniper school or anything, you will be just fine.

Grant

RevnR6 said:
So, either get a .22LR or maybe .17HMR rifle and practice with that

Word. Go to Walmart and get one of their $99 specials. They've always got several good .22's from various manufacturers for that price. Or even better, spend $150 for a Ruger 10/22. They come with a 10 round magazine, but for a couple bucks you can get 30 round mags from places like Academy, www.cheaperthandirt.com etc. :D

No point in spending $800-$1200 on an AR-15 when all you need is a basic rifle for practice.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
What you seek is the AR-15. There are many variants and makes out there. This is a semi-automatic only version of the M-16. In fact, the AR-15 existed first.. the M-16 was developed off of it. It fires the the same standard 5.56x45mm NATO ammunition the M-16 does. I highly recommend you look at http://www.ar15.com

Lol, ARFCOM! Any other members on here?

You won't shoot for a score until TBS, see if your OSO will put together a trip to a local base to get some range time. Mine had us go to the Garden City Reserve Base and got us some time and instruction on the rifle simulator there. Ashamed to say nobody shot higher than a 6/30.

It'd help to learn to assemble/disassemble the rifle(do you do that at OCS?) but the operation I picked up in a matter of minutes, and as far as shooting is concerned, your money's better spent on an instructor - I'm sure they'll loan you a rifle to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.