• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiving part of calc/physics requirements for commissioning

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Hey everyone,

Tried doing a bit of research both searching through previous posts and randomly about the internet and could not find the answer to this question so I wanted to ask. In particular it is about the calc and physics requirements.

I picked up the 2 y/r scholarship last year so right now I have a year left. Going into fall semester I only need 2 more classes to complete my degree.. So realistically I could graduate in the fall. But I still have 4 required navy courses to complete (CO's class, Calc 1-2, Physics 2). With that said, I know that the CO's class is mandatory.. has anyone ever heard of getting a waiver in regards to completion of some of the Calc and Physics requirements? I figured it's a logical question seeing as I could graduate/commission a semester early and save the Navy some money if possible..

Just figured I'd ask around here first before I asked my advisor to see if anyone could provide any insight.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Seeing as I took Calc II three times and Physics II twice - I would have FREAKING LOVED the wavier, never heard of though. I was also a 4 year scholarship, barely.

Good luck with it. I applaud the effort.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I know a guy who failed his writing requirement the last semester before he graduated. He still graduated but he had to take the course again over the summer (no benefits, he had to pay for it) and pass before he was commissioned. So I would say no.

ASR

Pretty sure there's no waiver. When I was in college I got credit for two semesters of calc based physics off of AP exams. Since my college accepted it for credit, the Navy did too. Except apparently there's a little caveat in the instruction that says at least 3 credits of calc and 3 credits of calc based physics must be taken "at the host institution.” This was discovered by my staff the year before I graduated so I had to scramble to take a physics course that I already had credit for. I have a nagging suspicion that if the requirement were waiverable it would have been in that same instruction and they'd have been more than happy to exercise that ability in my case. Sounds like you're stuck.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
There is no waiver to waive the courses, but there is a waiver to only take your required courses. This means your last semester you could only take 6 credit hours.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Navy Leadership, the XO does the first one, and the CO does the second. To the OP, I think you're going to have to prepare for the suck. I've never heard of anyone getting those requirements waived, except of course people who commission through OCS and already have their degree.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
LOL thanks for the advice ladies and gents.. Yeah I figured i'd be sucking it up and pulling through to do it.. Calculus isnt hard.. I've actually already taken Calc 1 but I got kinda shafted by the prof and got a D.. ended up with a B in Physics 1 (Go figure you need to know calculus for physics) Im actually studying to try and clep the damn thing that way I can jump right into calc 2 in the fall

@JhwK08 I complete agree with you..it is relative because I am the other way around.. As a poly sci major I can write some written masterpieces in little to no time and get a good grade on it but apparently I cannot solve a problem to save my life =/