• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VTOL Aircraft Generate Wind...Who Knew?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'll say this, several times in my short grunt career I was under landing 46's and 53's. They whip up quite a bit of dust and debris and that's no secrete. That frickin MV-22 seems like a whole different animal.

On one of my visits to Quantico last year I found myself down at the far end of LZ 7 when an Osprey was making his final approach. He was coming in just barely over the trees like in the video above. I was directly under him so I knew I was going to get knocked around a bit by the rotor blast. I had no idea that sucker was going to blow my ass back off the edge of the LZ, down the embankment and thru the woods. Lost a nice Larue baseball cap....

A lot of it may have been not being as young as I used to be but I swear I don't remember the rotor blast from a 56 being anywhere near that powerful.

Next time I stay up by the road with all the other old folks.

Here's the video. I stopped filming when I realized I was going for a little tumble.....

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I've sling loaded CH-47s and UH-60's before. I can't imagine trying to sling load under that beast.

Pariel

I was talking to a VMM-266 pilot on the Iwo Jima today at NY Fleet Week, who said that the spectators were actually in a roped off area (it was one of his squadronmates flying).

Unfortunately didn't get to see the Osprey flying, though.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I was talking to a VMM-266 pilot on the Iwo Jima today at NY Fleet Week, who said that the spectators were actually in a roped off area (it was one of his squadronmates flying).

Unfortunately didn't get to see the Osprey flying, though.

"Roped off" as in, "they weren't supposed to be there?"